“Quaint and comfortable”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Brockville, Canada
“Quaint and comfortable”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We travelled with 2 kids, ages 8 and 5, and called and got adjoining rooms at last minute, mid august of 2013 for 2 nights, before we came home to Ontario.. We had been on a 10 day road trip, just staying where we could as we went. I loved this place! Really, Really loved it! It was busy, lots of people, and yes, some were older, and quiet. It isn't a place to party, but it is a nice place to have a party. By that I mean groups can come, have dinner on the spacious and well maintained lawns, have a drink by the pool if you bring your own wine etc. It truly was relaxing and homey. The rooms we had were comfortable, one had a fridge, microwave, and good cable TV. The rooms had separate entrances but were attached in the back by a shared bath...which was great for the kids. There was flowered comforters, border on the walls, and lots of white wicker lawn furniture and patio tables for seating outside. It is not high end and modern, but it really is well maintained, and comfy and relaxing. I wished we cold have stayed longer. It truly was the best part of the trip. The breakfast buffet was not fabulous, eggs, a meat, and fruit, breads etc...but it certainly was more than adequate and filled us up in the mornings. The server remembered our preferred juices, and milk, not cream for the coffee. All of the service was excellent, from the front desk, to the wait staff, and the people cleaning the pools. Very friendly and welcoming. I felt like I was in a comfortable neighborhood, where everyone is welcome. There are swings on the lawns, and plenty of room to relax and wind down. The flowers were beautiful, and everything was groomed, neat, and just felt like we had gone to a relatives to stay a bit.

The walk to the beach is about 10 minutes, and the beach has lots of shells, and some rocks. It was warm, sunny and beautiful, but I would recommend water shoes if you plan on walking it a lot. The sand is nice, but does have shells and rough bits in it. Our kids played, made sand castles and collected shells, so it was still a great beach. Not huge, but did stretch out quite a ways. it does not have a huge area from the grassy part to the water, though. That part can be narrow in places. There is an alley from behind the resort that you can walk to the town area in just a minute or two. Very handy for restaurants and shopping. The rest of the town is large (for Cape Cod), there is a mall, lots of other things to see and do, and the drive up the coast is lovely, with many other public beaches and beautiful views. There is a parking fee for the beaches, but it is reasonable, and worth it! This place is a quick ferry to Martha's Vineyard, Boston is an hour and a half away for day trips, whale watching... and there is plenty to do in a short drive from the hotel.

I would not recommend this hotel if you are looking for pristine, glossy, new and modern. But if you want a great place to wind down, be close to beach and good shops, and great restaurants...and like charm, and a feeling that you have just stepped back in time a bit...go for it. One of the staff even gave me a cutting of some of his plants...how nice is that? we have already decided next year we are going to book this hotel / resort and ask for the kitchenette rooms, and make this or base for our holiday. I loved the charm, the uniqueness of it, and the hominess. It was beautiful, and I am looking forward to next August and our stay at Shoreway Acres Inn already.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the main yard. You get a beautiful view of the yard, yet are still far enough...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Esther A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I'm sure the incredible location is what has kept them in business for decades: walk to beach, walk to the center of town. Restaurants, shops, library, bike rentals, only steps away...

The Inn is spacious. A great lawn separates several New England-style buildings where every room is different (if you Ignore the motel-looking Pool Building, that hosts the indoor pool, the breakfast room, and many guest rooms). There are tables and chairs on the lawn, old-fashioned swings, a badminton net ( ask at the reception for raquets and ball), and even individual grilles where families can bring their charcoal and have barbeques. The outdoor pool is small but adequate, the people very nice and helpful, the breakfast is standard American but plentiful and tasty, with enough variety and fresh things.

The rooms are old, but clean. Many have kitchinettes, porches, etc.

I first came here in 1982, new to the Boston area and the Cape. I returned in 2012 and had a huge room on the first floor, with a private porch in the back, overlooking a lawn, with a full kitchen and 3 beds. The only place they had available 2 days before 4th of July weekend... The inn seemed unchanged to me - but in reality they do maintain and paint and fix all the time. We came again in 2013, and had a smaller room, on the 2nd floor - but just as comfortable.

It's a very nice place to go if you want to explore the Cape, and if you can leave behind expectations of ultra-modern amenities. The inn is comfortable, clean, and incredibly well located.

Rent or bring bikes and try the bike path connecting Woods Hole to North Falmouth, linger on the sandy beach in the afternoon when most families are gone and it's nice an quiet, try a new restaurant every night... You will have a great week and you will remember the charm of the Shoreway Acres Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid the "Pool Building", impersonal and no charm.
2 Thank ParisGirlTravel
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Arrived to Falmouth on an extremely busy summer Saturday, searching for a hotel room. A 2nd floor, queen bed mini-suite was available at this large, motel-like Inn at a very economical price. Do not expect too much. I was happy that room was very clean, with large bathroom and kitchenette. Window A/C cooled very well (it was extremely hot and humid during our stay) but was very loud during the night. This Inn reminded me of the typical ocean-side, economical motel with 1960's room decor. Large outdoor pool in middle of complex, large expanse of lawn with outdoor tables and chairs, indoor pool. Given that most of Falmouth's lodging was booked, we were happy to find this room. Again, very clean and friendly staff. Lots of families here, so glad we had a 2nd floor room (stairs) for the quiet. Short walk to Falmouth's main street.

2 Thank SoCalGal2013
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here with a bus group of 40+ people. The hotel took care of our luggage and checkin seamlessly upon arrival and had welcome snacks and drinks ready for us after a long ride. The room was very clean, well maintained, and quite large with a king size bed. It had a full size refrigerator and a nice seating area to read the paper or eat. Our room faced the parking lot but I was not in the room except to sleep so it wasn't an issue for me.

The hotel has a great full size buffet breakfast to start your day. Everything including the homemade pastry was delicious! We also enjoyed two dinners at the hotel which were outstanding. The service there was also great - everyone greeted you with a smile!

There is a large indoor pool as well as an outdoor pool. The grounds are large and well mainained with several picnic tables and a few 4 person swings. The hotel is a short walk to the beach and an even shorter walk to many cute shops and some restaurants.

I would recommend staying here if you like authentic charm of a hotel or bed and breakfast type. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mroynan
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 July 2013

When I checked in and saw my room I was paying over 200.00's a night for I simply could not believe it. It smelled like my Aunt and Uncle's old basement and I'll never forget that smell...and felt damp. I went into the bathroom and the toilet seat was covered in SOMETHING. It looked dried and I made the horrendous mistake of touching it. It was not yet dried and it was in splotches all over the toilet seat. I was so grossed out and I called the front desk. She did not act like she was sorry or tried to comfort me in any way....just asked me if I would like her to send housekeeping. Duh??? I asked her if that was all she had to say. They came and cleaned the bathroom and since the Cape was so crowded we had to stay there. During the night my clothes because all damp and I got dressed and we left in a hurry...it felt better outside than in the room. We were going to stay for 2 nights, but we told them we couldn't take it. They may have better rooms or I can't understand why anyone would stay here at all. It is sad to make such a bad review, because I know this is a family owned hotel. But that toilet seat was just too much for anyone to deal with!!

1 Thank kblake6477

Travellers are raving about these Falmouth hotels

Boston
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The location is great; few minute walk from the center of town and 10 minute from the beach. Nothing spectacular about the hotel, just nice and clean place with friendly people. The place has an outdoor and indoor swimming pool; the indoor pool saved our weekend in May cold and rainy day…. It’s great for families escape; plenty room for everybody at reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Daniela_Boston
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Let's face it. Hotels in Falmouth leave ALOT to be desired. The Cape in general is not a 5 star kind of vacation. It is New England and most properties make you step back in time. This property is basic, but better than the Holiday Inn. It does have that old time charm with new flat screened TVs. Just watch out for the free breakfast where they expect a tip. My kids love the indoor pool since we frequently are visiting family in the winter. We have stayed here over 10 time. Each visit has been different. Some better than others. During warmer months you can stay in the outbuildings which if you have two children and want a separate room with connecting door is great. The Motel building is a standard 2 double affair, but has a giant refrigerator, microwave and table for eating. Ask the staff about your room. They are very helpful. If they would just put a little more money into things like bedding, towels (too thin), paint and thick new doors, this place could make a killing!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family