“Another rave”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Another rave”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Agree with all the positive adjectives and descriptions in other recent reviews. A rambling old building, beautifully maintained and tastefully decorated with attention to every detail. Breakfast is normally served between 8:30 and 11 and coffee is available at 7:00 but on the mornings my husband fished at 7 a.m., Howard prepared hot breakfast for him at 6:30 and then I had a breakfast tray on the balcony of our room (see photo).

Of the five restaurants we ate at in Falmouth, Glass Onion was our favorite.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn on the Sound as part of our honeymoon, and we could not have had a better experience. We stayed in the Quisset Harbor room, and the view was INCREDIBLE. The only thing better than the view was the gourmet breakfast. The word "gourmet" gets thrown around quite often, but it sure does apply in this situation. From Spanish torts to baked french toast, the food was amazing. Of course, you can pass on the hot dish of the morning and still eat from an array of fruits, cereals, and croisants. Most importantly, the experience was made better by the staff's dedication to making our stay a memorable one. When you stay at the Inn on the Sound, you feel as if you are the only guest there. Howard and company did everything they could to make sure our stay was as great as possible. Aside from providing us with everything we needed, they also had suggestions for activities and restaurants for us to visit (which were also amazing). Another point worth mentioning is that the Inn was immaculate. The entire place was incredibly clean. Another great aspect of the Inn is it's location. Of couse it is right across from the beach (and the inn provides complimentary chairs and towels), but it is also within immediate walking distance of two bars/restaurants. The Inn is also within a quick drive to downtown Falmouth, which has a number of nice restaurants and shops. Overall, our honeymoon was amazing, and the Inn on the Sound was a big reason why. My wife and I strongly recommend the Inn to anyone who is visiting Cape Cod.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Webster, New York, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I can not agree more with what was said by JohnSimiValley's review. It is too well written to even try and top. I stayed in the stayed in the Nobska Point room at the inn and found everything perfect. I did not find the bed uncomfortable as a past patron stated. To me it was perfect. Thank you Howard and Staff:)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This is a beautiful area and the Inn on the Sound is great. The views from the Inn are amazing and the rooms are beautiful, comfortable and well kept. Howard was an excellent host and helpful in making the most of our trip. The breakfast was very good; the breads, biscotti and tea selection were excellent. I will visit the Inn on the Sound again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Simi Valley
Reviewed 5 May 2013

OMG! What can I say about this place that would do it justice? Located next to Nantucket Sound right across from the ocean in Falmouth Heights, this is ‘the’ ideal place to stay while in Falmouth, or while visiting the whole Cape for that matter.
Some background – my wife had come to Cape Cod from New Jersey for summer vacation every year for 28 years before moving to California. Now for her ‘major milestone’ birthday, I wanted to take her on a vacation to her beloved Cape. Any guy out there knows what this means – you have to get it just right. And oh my – how right THIS was. The Inn on the Sound lived up to it’s reputation of being #1 on Trip Advisor - and more. We could NOT have chosen a more ideal place to call ‘home’ while on our vacation.
After our long flight from California to Boston and renting a car to drive down to the cape, we called the Inn and Howard answered and since it was late in the day Howard was concerned about our ability to have dinner before restaurants would close. He gave us a few options, gave us excellent directions to the Inn, and told us not to worry if we stopped to eat before arriving at the Inn. How considerate!
Well we did not want to leave our luggage in the car to eat so we motored straight to the Inn with the perfect directions given to us by Howard.
We pulled up to the front door, rang the bell and Howard’s niece Whitney opened the door to greet us. We then met Howard who gave us a thorough indoctrination to the Inn. Tea here, soft drinks/water , there, cakes and biscotti (to die for – a perfect touch with late night tea!) available too – all anytime we desire! Then he showed us our room.
It was perfect in every way. My wife is allergic to dust and pollen, is very careful to keep things at home clean and organized, and let me tell you – she was amazed and impressed by the cleanliness and attention to detail that the room showcased. The bed had ultra soft linens and was beautifully made with numerous pillows – like our bed at home. The room was impeccably clean, and not one detail was left out.
I like to see how the bathroom area is maintained to get a feel for the room and the overall Inn. The toilet tissue was arranged in a flower. There was high end shampoo, cream rinse and body lotion available. The usual hair dryer was available, but let me just say that those bath towels were so luxurious. They just would soak up all the moisture from your body in an instant. They even had a separate wash cloth for makeup removal. How thoughtful!
Then there were the other little touches – iron and ironing board in the room, beach towels in a tote basket to take to the beach in the closet and bathrobes for you to use. And everything was top notch.
We went out to dinner that night to the British Beer Company – comfortable walking distance from the Inn - and the food was reasonably priced and surprisingly good! This was a Sunday night and the place was very busy, so you know that the locals must really like it – and so did we – we went back multiple times to eat here.
Then on to the ‘gourmet’ breakfast in the morning. We were anxious to experience what others had reviewed and indicated was marvelous. Breakfast is available from 8:30 to 11:00 and again - Howard did not disappoint! I am a vegetarian, and all the breakfasts that he provided to us had a vegetarian option – again very thoughtful! His egg dishes are second to none, the fresh orange juice is simply sweet and delicious, the fruits and berries that are prepared and presented on a platter in the morning are impeccably cut and displayed. And then we tasted them…. How can Falmouth, MA have strawberries that are sweeter than the just picked strawberries that we have in CA? Well they were. And the orange juice was always sweet as can be… and those freshly baked croissants and other muffins and breads – magnifique! Can you tell we enjoyed the breakfasts? We stayed there for 8 nights total, and looked forward to each and every breakfast. One that bedazzled us was the French toast that didn’t seem like French toast at all but like some magical bread concoction that had French toast ingredients to it. It was spectacular.
It was too bad that during our stay Howard’s wife Janet was offsite to take care of some family business, because Howard told us that she had some breakfasts that only she could make that would have wooed us as well. I can imagine the 2 of them conjuring up brilliant fare for their guests each and every morning. I get hungry just thinking about it!
Howard, as our host, was very personable every morning, serving up the morning culinary delights and always willing to engage in candid conversation. What did you do yesterday – what are your plans for today - can I guide you in any way – is your room OK – anything else I can help you with? Very different than any hotel! Howard has an excellent sense of humor and we found ourselves laughing during some very engaging discussions. Howard knows the area and is willing to tell it like it is!
After we ate breakfast, we return to our room to find it already made up – it is impeccably cleaned for us. The staff there – Da, Ink, Elizeth and Howard’s niece Whitney (in from France to help with the Inn to get it going in the Spring) were notably remarkable, friendly and an extraordinary staff that always made us feel welcomed and ‘special’ guests.
So how did we like the remaining days at the Inn? Loved them! Originally we had a room with an ocean view on the first floor, but then moved to a room on the second floor with balcony and ocean view for the last 5 days of our stay. Both were beautifully appointed and did not disappoint. Talk about attention to detail – this was the case at the Inn on the Sound. Note there was a little light on the key ring to help you see the keyhole if needed at night – a very nice touch! Inserts and brochures were organized ion a wall and readily available. There were personal sized ice buckets for cooling ‘beverages’ with pre-measured ice packets to easily gather up and place in one’s room without making any mess. Morning coffee could be enjoyed in provided travel cups so that you could enjoy your coffee while taking a refreshing walk on the beach right across the street from the Inn.
The night of my wife’s birthday we came back to the Inn and they had prepared a special surprise basket for her and placed it in our room – champagne in an ice bucket and 2 glasses, cranberry bogs (my wife’s favorite), Cape Cod chips and cranberry chocolate. Oh and did I mention the neat sailboat nightlight in the bathroom? Well we are sailors, so I had asked Howard where one might go to purchase this nightlight. To my amazement, also included in the basket of goodies for my wife was a sailboat nightlight. We have never ever felt so special on any vacation, anywhere.
Did my wife like it – no… SHE LOVED IT! She loved the beautiful view of the sunrise and sunset from our room and ALL the special attention to detail that made this vacation so special.
This is our new ‘go to’ place in Cape Cod, as it really can be considered the gateway to whatever you want to do on the Cape, but most of all when you are done with your day - this is the best place on the Cape to call home and rest yourself from your day’s experience, and the best place from which to start your next day’s Cape adventure!
Howard, we will be back and next time we want to meet Janet!

Green Features: Thre are recycle bins for the gusts to use, and Howard encourages you to reuse/refill your plastic water bottles with fresh spring water from the water cooler.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnSimiValley
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This place is everything I imagine when I think of what a B&B should be on Cape Cod! The view was spectacular. Checking in was very convenient and Howard was a wealth of information. The town of Falmoth is a beautiful little place and I loved taking our little walks in the evening. Breakfast was delicious every morning along with cofee and teas and little treats available all day. You really felt like you had the place to yourself. We stayed in the Nobska Point room and had a private entrace. The only fault I could find was the bed was a little uncomfortable. It was a wonderful get away.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Lyon, France
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This is a remarkable Inn in every way. From the small details in decor to the warm and welcoming staff, The Inn on the Sound is a must stay on Cape Cod. We recently stayed while touring the New England area, and loved it. Howard was more than helpful and supplied us with great recommendations for restaurants and attractions all over the Cape. He is very well informed and an asset to his guests. The rooms were immaculate, the design was beautiful and in perfect taste, and the staff returned it to perfect condition for us to return to after our day of exploring. Breakfast was delicious, with so many options and beautiful fruit displays. The view was breath taking, and I recommend this to anyone who desires excellence in their hotel experience!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NasinNarwhal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Mansion House
#1 of 9 in Falmouth
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
#6 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to Inn on the Sound? Share your experiences!