“Great Location, Horrible Service”

Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Beautiful location with a great beach. The service at the beach (helping with chairs/umbrellas) was great...but it stops there....
First let me say we were there for a wedding reception and everything about the reception -- food and service -- were great! No complaints whatsoever.
However, our room was old and run down. The AC was abnoxiously loud and leaking quite a bit. There was a huge puddle under the AC unit in the carpet. The bathtub was a bit clogged so by the time we were finished with our showers we were standing in water up to our ankles. The bed smelled like stale mold/mildew...which is understandable, since it's a beach hotel...but it was still unpleasant. Also, there was coffee in our room, but no coffee maker. we had to call and get a coffee maker delivered. Also, housekeeping was at our door pounding at 9am on a Sunday morning. We were up because we had an event to go to, but for a normal vacation, 9am is a bit early to be knocking on my door...
As for the service...we were not impressed. Folks working at the front desk and walking around were pleasant enough. But service -- bar and waiter service specifically -- were so bad. We went to the beach Sunday around noon-time and were hoping to be able to order lunch and drinks from the waiter on the beach. After watching the waiter go back and forth to the folks NEXT to us 7 or 8 times, without ever looking over and asking us if we wanted anything (or anyone else around us either), we decided to go to the pool and order there. We waited at the pool for about 45 minutes. I saw the waiter come out to the pool four times, going over to the same location each time and walking right out afterwards -- again, never asking anyone else around the pool if they wanted anything. I finally went to the Red's window to order food and wait and pick it up, which was fine. I then went to the bar to get my husband and myself a drink. I waited 20 minutes to get my drink order in. There were four bartenders and it was NOT crowded... To make it worse, while I stood there patiently waiting, a couple walked up behind me and called out to a bartender they knew. She came over, greeted them and asked what they wanted. She poured both their drinks (they were immediately over my shoulder while I stood there) and then went back to the other drinks she had been working on. I thought she'd come over to me after that, but she didn't. It literally took 20 minutes to be served two beers. When I finally did get asked what I wanted, she almost wouldn't give me 2 drinks because they have a "one drink limit." I had to show her exactly who my husband was and where he was. The next time, my husband went to the bar and had the same experience -- waited 10/15 minutes and then they almost didn't give him 2 drinks.
Later in the evening we went to the bar inside for an after-dinner drink. Again, it was NOT crowded and there were 3 bartenders. We stood at the bar for 15 minutes before walking out. We talked to another group of people that were just as frustrated, saying they had waited 20 minutes. We finally gave up and decided it wasn't worth it.
For being a service-oriented place, The Sea Crest was NOT up to par.

1  Thank RoyceBartlett
There are newer reviews for Sea Crest Beach Hotel

Reviewed 18 July 2012

From start to finish, I was extremely pleased with this hotel. I was there with my two teenage sons and didn't want to have to travel to get to a beach. The hotel's location right on Old Silver Beach was what sold me. What a beautiful beach!! I grew up on the Eastern shore of Massachusetts and am spoiled by our amazing beach which is walking distance from my home. It was an adventure for me to explore a new location, and I was blown away! The water was a balmy 70 degrees during our visit (July 16, 2012), the waves were rhythmic, but not rough, and the sand was so soft. I spent the entire day in the ocean, which is a rarity for me! The service on the beach was fantastic! Staff will set up your chairs, with umbrella (s) at the spot of your choosing. Food and drink service right on the beach allows you more uninterrupted leisure time. I LOVE that!! Food quality was good; for beach eats, I found it acceptable. There were water sports rentals available right on the beach: paddle boards, catamarans, jet skis, kayaks and more. In addition to the beach, there is an indoor pool, which includes a "toddler" pool area and jacuzzi and an outdoor pool, which also has a jacuzzi area. The bar by the pool makes it convenient to grab a bite to eat, or take a break from the pool or beach and enjoy a cocktail. Although, I didn't find the bar service, or quality of drinks to be that great. Prices were a little high: $9 for a beer. A live band performs during the day (steel band) and in the evening (classic/soft rock). The music can be heard whether you are by the pool or on the beach. There is "lounge" type seating that looks out onto the beach by the pool bar, where you can enjoy the spectacular Cape sunsets! With the dining options on site, in addition to the beautiful beach and pool area, there really is no reason to leave the hotel. Buffet breakfast was excellent and reasonably priced: $18 per adult $12 for children, average for buffets in this area. There is also an arcade and activity room for children. The property and the rooms were impeccably clean, staff were extremely polite and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank VJValerie
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Wow, if you haven't been to the new Sea Crest then you won't believe your eyes. My husband and I stayed for our 27th wedding anniversary and it was wonderful. We were greated at the gate by a lovely gentleman who checked off our name and wished us a Happy Anniversary. The entire staff were warm, friendly and most accommodateing. I cannot say enough about what a great change in every aspect the hotel has made. It is considered my best beaches on the cape, NO ROCKS!@ Wide variety of activities, excellent food which includes several options of dining. The best sunset on the cape! I have very high standards working for a major hotel company and this was perfect.

Room Tip: Ocean view for the best sunset!
5  Thank Mahones1
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The Sea Crest's location on Falmouth's Old Silver Beach is great, if you like bay-type beaches with low surf, slightly coarser sand, and warmer water than you would find along the National Seashore. The adjacent water sports concession is a great amenity, with a nice assortment of windsurfers, paddle boards, and kayaks for exploring Buzzards' Bay, and the beach out front is one where you don't have to worry about your kids getting swept off by a rogue wave (a good thing, since there are no lifeguards).

It is this location that justifies rather high prices for small, but clean, rooms in what is essentially a redone complex of motels. Service was mixed -- from friendly to completely clueless, uncaring, and unhelpful, which goes along with the teenagers imported from overseas for summer jobs. Don't expect too much from the food either -- it is edible, but a little bit of effort on the Sea Crest's part would improve things a lot. Step off-campus for far better eats!

Essentially, The Sea Crest is a middle-of-the-road Cape resort that could improve things a lot with improved staffing, a revamped food & bev selection, and taking care of a few maintenance issues around the property, like the unsightly, overgrown and cracked remnants of tennis courts -- but maybe the location is enough to justify these oversights for most travelers. Personally, I would think twice about returning.

Room Tip: The "Wild Goose" building is fairly quiet -- particularly the second floor. Very few nois...
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My husband and I and our two teenage children, along with my parents enjoyed a great time at this hotel over the 4th of July week in 2012.

The staff was incredible helpful and courteous, the resort was beautiful and the beach was great.
We especially appreciated the beach attendants who helped carry chairs and umbrellas for our group every day. All the staff was working hard and seemed to want to help the guests.

We had beach front rooms which were lovely, but since we spent so much time actually on the beach, any room could have been enjoyable. The resort had something for everyone: indoor pool, outdoor pool, great private beach, easy access to the darling town of Falmouth and decent food on site.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Andrea E
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We kind of planned our vacation last minute but my fiancé and I were so happy to have found sea creast beach hotel in Falmouth. Mike, one of the managers there, was very helpful making arrangements for our stay the resort. We loved the outside pool and bar, the clean beach, we rented a ski doo and though I thought my fiancé was going to kill me it was a great time. We definitely want to make this an annual trip.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Robynm415
Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

Well, another vacation at sea crest has come to an end! But, we will be back next year!
This year we brought along more family members and they loved it as much as we did.
Food was excellent, rooms were kept very clean, view was amazing!
See ya in 2013!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Jennie41077
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Blue Water on the Ocean
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Inn on the Square
Inn on the Square
#8 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to Sea Crest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!