“No Room at the Sea Crest for the Handicapped”

Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Franklin, Massachusetts
“No Room at the Sea Crest for the Handicapped”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My family and I have been going to the Sea Crest Hotel since I was 7 years old (1968). You can't beat the location--and if you're an able-bodied person--and either well-off financially or you scrimp and save your money all year long to get there--it's a paradise!

However, it's become increasingly clear to me over the years--the Sea Crest Beach Hotel in North Falmouth, MA-- is insensitive to its handicapped patrons. My mom who needs the aid of a wheelchair stays in an Oceanside Room--a very expensive ($450+/night and climbing) room. There is not one grab bar in the bath. These rooms are barely big enough for two healthy people--let alone two people and a wheelchair. There is no elevator for the luxury deluxe rooms. There is not one automatic door in the entire hotel for a person in a wheelchair to use. The doors and hallways are incredibly narrow. The boardwalk from the outdoor bar to the Oceanside Rooms is great until you come to a step where the Ocean view rooms meet the Oceanside Rooms--how do you manipulate a wheelchair down a step? I realize that the Sea Crest provides handicapped rooms and an elevator in the main building, but a handicapped person should be able to enjoy a luxury room with that amazing ocean view--just like anyone else. It would be nice to be able to access the beach in a wheelchair as well. Everyday of our stay, her room wasn't cleaned and the beds weren't made until 4PM.

Separate Incident: While exiting the bathroom of the Oceanside Room, the top hinge pin popped out of the door causing the door to lunge forward, hitting my mom just above her eye. Maintenance came quickly to fix it--but the front desk didn't offer a word of concern for her-- (i.e., how is she, is she alright?). I had to suggest filling out an accident report because my mom experienced dizziness and discomfort after the incident. After we submitted the form (around noon time), we expected a call or for someone from the hotel to check on Mom--see how she was doing--nothing. We had to ask for the hotel manager that evening so we could explain to him what happened. He was a very nice man--but he didn't get it. He didn't get why we would want a representative from the hotel to care that a defective door in their hotel hit my mom in the head. He offered us a complimentary breakfast--but we were leaving the hotel the next morning and traditionally have breakfast off site the day we leave. This place has so much potential. My family and I just love Old Silver Beach. It holds so many wonderful memories for us. It would be such a shame if we weren't able to vacation there anymore.

1 Thank Margaret K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We booked this hotel last minute and were attracted by the beachfront location. While pricey, once we got there we were not disappointed. We had a first floor room in the 'courtyard' area with a door that led out to a small patio and was steps to the sandy beach. The beach attendants were great setting up chairs, umbrellas and even getting towels for us. The onsite water sports were a treat for our teens and we never had to leave the beach. Our room was spacious, the bedding was comfortable and clean and there was a small refrigerator and coffeemaker. We ate in Red's the first night and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food....especially the chowder. Overall the beachfront location was just fabulous and we left there feeling we had truly 'escaped' for a few days....and that made it worth the $$$.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I recently went for a wedding at the Sea Crest and enjoyed the place but it way over priced, Ive stayed at several Ritz's that where less expensive. If you are willing to spend the money there is a nice bar overlooking the beach and you can get served drinks on the beach which is always a plus. I would recommend going on a catamaran ride also.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Rayn H
Southwick, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We spent $$$ on two Oceanside rooms. We were only there for one night. We were told that while they could not promise early check-in, they would certainly try to accommodate it, given our short stay and purchase of 2 expensive rooms. Not only did we NOT get early check-in, but we had LATE check-in, 47 minutes past the "guaranteed" time. Both rooms had a musty smell and were not at all what I expected for the high end price tag. We looked forward to sitting on our patio after a long hot day at the beach, but there was a full on wedding taking place right outside our door. We had wedding guests standing a few feet from our window looking in. We wanted to eat at the more formal restaurant, but it was closed for the wedding! When I tried to discuss this with the front desk they were rude. Apparently they routinely double dip by charging guests high fees for rooms with patios and a partial ocean view and then plan big expensive weddings in this same space, so the hotel guest pays to use the same space the wedding is paying to use, the problem is we can't both use the space at the same time, even though we are both paying for it. They argued over the late check in stating the room was cleaned 14 minutes late, but we didn't get notified by the staff that it was ready right away, which apparently was some how our fault. We over paid for what we got and had to deal with rude front guest staff. I will say the beach is great and the beach staff was very friendly and helpful. But still not worth the money............... Oh, and watch out for that $15.00 summer program fee they try to add to your bill and hope you don't notice.

8 Thank Terri M
CLARK-K6, General Manager at Sea Crest Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for posting about your recent to stay at the Sea Crest Beach Hotel. Please accept my apologies that your expectations were not met, from start to finish. I’m pleased that you found the beach staff to be friendly; I agree that we have a great bunch of young adults working out there who are focused on guest service and helping our guests.

We were a bit challenged on the day of your arrival with getting rooms completed by our 4PM check in time; when I last checked at the desk at 4:15, I was informed that all guests waiting for their rooms were notified that their rooms were ready and that these few guests would receive complimentary breakfast. My apologies if you did not receive the coupons for breakfast.

I’m sorry that the wedding event that took place, and was booked for over a year, impacted your last minute stay experience. We are in the business to provide wonderful experiences to our guests, including wedding guests, and while the bride and groom had a terrific event, you clearly didn’t.

We do charge a $15 per room per night summer program fee, which is explained at the point of reservation and on the confirmation letters that we send out via email. This fee is used to help defray costs associated with the beach staff assistance, wireless internet, fitness classes, and special programming. I see that we did remove the fee from your account per your request at checkout.

I would love for you to return to give us another opportunity to serve you and demonstrate our willingness to provide all guests with great memories.

Clark Guinn
Garden City, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was our first trip to the cape and did not know where to stay. After researching on the internet I found Sea Crest. The location was great...right on the beach. The staff was excellent ...friendly and helpful! The room was clean and updated ...would recommend the rooms facing the beach,, originally booked the standard room in main building and asked to switch because the room was very dark and kind of creepy. Had no problem switching room and even got a better rate. we would definately return to this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Woburn, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Back again for a conference and it was another great year of business mixed with pleasure. On one of the afternoons the wind picked up and every available employee ran out to the beach to swiftly grab the umbrellas to avoid a dangerous situation. Swift action avoided serious injury from the staff.
Friendly people and smiles from everyone throughout the hotel
My only complaint is the wireless connections need upgrading.

Room Tip: Few sundeck rooms, but worth the extra money. Standard rooms are a great value. I personally would n...