“The Old & the New”

Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This hotel was converted to a family resort in 1971 and with new ownership, is undergoing a substantial renovation as of Oct. 2010. They are due to reopen at the end of May 2011. The hotel is right on Old Silver Beach in a quiet residential location in North Falmouth, but the rooms are a mixed combination of nice ocean views, new comfortable beds and a nicely renovated entrance and lobby contrasted against rooms with old carpeting, small refrigerators from yesteryear and large tube tv's. This led to some complaints from travellers and rightly so, that the amenities didn't justify the price, and I think the new owners will try to address that.

This is a lively family hotel in summer, so keep that in mind if you're looking to get away from it all. My hope is the rates don't go up so high this won't be an option for the middle-class traveller.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank tanukisan2
There are newer reviews for Sea Crest Beach Hotel

Reviewed 30 September 2010

I stayed here labor day weekend for a friends wedding. There was a hurricane watch and the hotel closed down the night before. We arrived at noon the next day to be told we could not check in until 4PM... ok thats a bit late. I could deal with that. What was shocking was the way a woman at the desk spoke to me. She basically told me the hotel was not ready for people to check in and told me to get out! I couldent believe it. I had just gotten off of a plane to come to a hotel and meet an incredibly nasty woman who is supposed to be in customer service! I have never had an experience like that and am sure I will never encounter someone like that in the service industry!!! Overall, the place needs to be renovated. The food is less than average.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DCworld
Reviewed 27 September 2010

beautifully located, although ... other villages like chatham or provicetown can't be beaten. Downsides: place looks like what it is ... built probably in the '60- ies and barely renovated since then. Rooms may have been clean, but didn't look clean. Outdoor furniture rusty and worn out. indoor pool cloudy. Service personnel doesn't meet claimed standard of hotel, particularly incompetent in restaurant. front desk personnel unfriendly.
Whole place needs urgent renovation.Too expensive for the state, in which the resort currently is.
Cannot be recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010
3  Thank wiedenmann
Reviewed 25 September 2010

My husband and I just returned home today from the Sea Crest Hotel. We were there for a wedding. Then location of the hotel is amazing, it's right on the beach. When we drove into the parking lot we thought it was nice and the lobby was very cute and clean sea shore modern. However, the rooms are GROSS!!! dirty old and in need of complete renovations. Our first room (building 3) had wall paper tearing off, huge stains on the carpet, dirty bathroom, ext... I went to the front desk to complain and was given another room (building 7), the guest service was poor. he could have cared less. The new room was "better" but, it was okay at best. Still very out dated and dirty bathroom. At check out we told the guy that the rooms were dirty and he told us they were closing in Oct to renovate!!! Thank goddness because they need too.... GROSS!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank mommyoffour579
Reviewed 18 September 2010

When i arrived the staff met at the lobby and from there everything went smooth
I did notice the check in process that was diffrent it seemed as though the process
was lengthy,but the staff always were very nice and helpful.The room was clean and the hotel on the beach very nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I will be honest up front, I chose this hotel because I wanted something on the beach but money has been tight lately.

An old co-worker (who was a huge hotel snob) had stayed here before and didn't gripe about it too much so I figured it couldn't be horrible.

I was VERY hesitant after reading the reviews. But, as I said, I wanted a hotel on the beach that I could afford, so I went into this not expecting much.

My trip was planned for Labor Day weekend, Friday until Monday. Well, Hurricane Earl had other plans.....

On Friday AM I checked the hotel web site and saw a message scrolling across the top stating the hotel was closing for Friday due to the possible storm and to call Saturday to see if they would open. This was okay by me, I wasn't anxious to go during a storm anyway, who wants to be at a hotel with no power!

On Saturday at 730am I called the hotel and was told they would open at 12:00noon, so I packed up the car and headed down.

CHECK-IN - due to Hurricane Earl the hotel was opening at 12:00noon. We arrived at 12:30pm to a line 30 people deep. There were six people working the desk. Other workers we handing out bottled water and "Hurricane Punch" to those waiting in line. It is the small things such as handing out drinks to people in line that leave a lasting impression. I thought it was great. We were checked in and in our room by 1:10pm. Pretty quick for such a long line.

ROOM - good size. It was clean. Looked old and warn (I was not in a renovated room). The bedding was newer. Small table for two. Mini-fridge. TV. Coffee maker. Plenty of draw and closet space. Desk. The bathroom was a good size with plenty of counter space. Towels weren't bad. Shower was okay. Hairdryer & iron in the room too.

HOTEL - this isn't a 'resort' the way many people think of resort. But it is certainly a good hotel. The lobby was beautiful (although the funky chairs were uncomfortable), I understand it had been newly renovated. The pool was large and clean, although cold (thanks Hurricane Earl). Plenty of chairs at the pool. The beach was beautiful. I never had a problem getting a chair, an umbrella or a towel and I was there during the busy Labor Day weekend. The sand was so soft. A lot of seaweed had come ashore due to the hurricane and the hotel did their best to clean it up. There is an outdoor bar between the outdoor pool and the beach. Also, OSCARS for sandwiches and burgers. Indoor pool was a good size. Very small hot tub at the indoor pool only. The locker rooms were old and in need of a renovation. There was a steam room and sauna in the locker room. Small game room, most of the games were crane prize games. Small exercise room. Small comfortable lounge with music and a dance floor. The restaurant had a very limited menu, plan to eat out. There was a basketball court and a horseshoe pit. Shuffleboard. The tennis courts no longer exist, there were cars parked on it. There were ice machines, vending snack machines and soda machines.

STAFF - everyone I encountered was very friendly and helpful. I have no idea what previous reviewers were complaining about.

HOUSEKEEPING - our room was cleaned every day. I'd head to the beach/pool in the AM and come back early afternoon and my room had already been serviced. Often the maids were nearby so if I needed to grab an extra towel or anything I could easily just look out my door. Again, I have no idea what earlier reviewers were complaining about. Perhaps they forgot to remove the 'do not disturb' sign and that is why their rooms weren't cleaned.

There are a few things the hotel lacks that would be nice to have: business center (just a few computers for Internet access, not everyone travels with a laptop), a playground (swing set and slide), tennis courts, a small shop (newspapers, magazines, chips, forgotten items such as toothpaste).

Over the years I have stayed in the best of the best and even some slummy places. Sea Crest is not luxurious, but it was pretty good. It is a simple trip to the Cape with a beautiful beach. I have already told my family and friends about it and even booked a return trip for Summer 2011. I can't wait to see what the new owners have done to the place!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I was very hesitant to stay here due to all the poor reviews regarding the cleaniness and the housekeeping staff. However, we decided to reserve two rooms for my party of 8 due to the location on the beach. There were no rooms available in the renovated building so we stayed in the main building. We were pleasantly surprised that the rooms were clean and adequate for the price. Staff were friendly and accommodating. The beach does get busy and people start reserving the beach chairs and umbrellas by 9am. We arrived on a Sunday when a large convention appeared to be ending. The beach and water were packed with people. When the convention ended, people cleared out and the beach was much more peaceful. Monday morning was also much more peaceful and quiet on the beach. It's definitely not the place to go if you want to be in a secluded place, but it's close to Boston and a great location. The indoor and outdoor pools were an added bonus. We didn't eat any meals there but took a short drive to Seaside Sam's where the food was excellent and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Blue Water on the Ocean
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Inn on the Square
Inn on the Square
#8 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to Sea Crest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!