“Our Go To Hotel on the Cape”
Review of Inn on the Square

Inn on the Square
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 27 September 2013

In my younger days, I enjoyed the Cape for its beaches and the open space of the National Seashore. Nowadays I enjoy the Cape for its ambiance and have learned to love the villages of Upper Cape Cod. The Inn on the Square is our favorite Cape Cod hotel. Unfortunately the lure of Marriott rewards points is too great and we usually end up in Hyannis at the Courtyard. A few weeks ago we were lucky to return to the Inn for a few nights. Yes it is true, the location is fabulous, but the hotel is also really very nice. It is an inn and it has the feel of a home to it. The front lobby and main stairwell is elegant and comfortable reminding me a little of my grandparents' homes. The courtyard is quiet and relaxing. It is a nice place to lay out in the sun, read or to share a private moment while enjoying an afternoon or evening drink. The public areas are clean and nicely decorated. The restaurant is like an onsite diner which offers several healthy alternative breakfast and lunch choices. (This in and of itself is deliciously unusual and very much appreciated by this weight watcher.) The wait staff is incredibly helpful, friendly and efficient. The hotel staff is great. They are informative and were extremely accommodating to our requests and needs. The pool is beautiful, from the vaulted ceiling to the crystal clear water, it is most definitely the best asset of the property. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The room refrigerators are great. They have a small freezer compartment that is actually functional where you can store several items. We stayed for three nights and our car never left its parking space. The inn is on the most scenic and our favorite bike path on the Cape, the Shining Sea Bikeway. If you don't have your bikes with you, rent them from the bike shop across the street or walk into Woods Hole. If you take the bike path from the Inn, you are 3.5 miles from Woods Hole and 6.5 miles to the end of the bike path heading in the opposite direction. Along the way you can stop at the beach and go for a swim in Vineyard Sound (bring your swim shoes) or sit on one of the many benches located along the bikeway and enjoy the scenery of the open water, kettle ponds and cranberry bogs. Although the Inn sits on a busy street, there is a cross walk at the edge of the property and you are a very short walk to historic Falmouth Village. Because the Inn is conveniently located in Falmouth it is an easy on and off the Cape allowing you to avoid the miserable high season traffic of Cape Cod.The Inn is a short walk to several boutiques, shops and an incredible array of great restaurants and a pub. Our favorite stop for all our gift giving needs is the Eight Cousins bookstore. It is one of the last great independently owned bookstores and they lovingly wrap all your purchases. We stayed in a king room which had a sitting area with a couch, table and two chairs. We warmed up our leftovers in the microwave and settled in for a relaxing and enjoyable stay. As a Trip Advisor reader, I know it is important to keep in mind that there are all kinds of contributors. Some people are just unreasonable and impossible to please and seem incapable of reading the fine print. It is the Cape people unless you are staying at the Chatham Bars Inn your hotel accommodations tend to be smaller and more simple than what you would find in an area that caters to year round tourists. We highly recommend staying at the Inn on the Square. Take advantage of all the Inn and the area has to offer and you will be not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlueRobin

Reviewed 12 September 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic. You can walk to Main Street easily and drive to beaches and conveniences quickly. The staff was friendly and the pool was great for kids. The room was average. The hotel was clean. We enjoyed our stay and would come back. The restaurant was awful. Terrible service and menu and ill informed staff and way overpriced and slow. It is worth the 10 minute walk to Main Street for top quality food.

Room Tip: I think they are all the same. Not sure. There is an outside building of cottages so if you don...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in early September and here's my experience.

The good:
- Reasonably clean and well serviced
- Next door to a great breakfast restaurant
- Good TV set and DVD player
- Big rooms

The bad:
- Thin walls and very noisy, both from other rooms and the street traffic (I was given a room right next to the street, and it quite felt like hearing a truck pass by you in an IMAX movie. Ask NOT to be given a room next to the street)
- The fridge made a periodic loud noise (You can unplug it if not using)
- No complementary breakfast

The terrible:
- Bugs, both flying and crawling. I was bitten by something the first night and had 2 huge bumps (1 inch in diameter). I'm not sure if it was a bed bug though. They looks bigger than a bed bug bite.
- The beds had feathers in them that would poke through the sheets and pinch into your skin. Not many of them, but certainly made sleeping shirtless difficult.

The deal-breaker:
- At checkout, I reported that I was bitten by something very badly, and they might want to check the room for bugs, but the receptionist took it very lightly. She didn't even offered any sympathy or apology.

Conclusion:
While there are not many good options around that area, and the room itself was satisfactory, I had a hard time liking this place mainly due to noise level and bugs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ab_Taba
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The location of this Inn is perfect. Across the street from a nice restaurant, a coffee shop, a bicycle rental place, and a few little shops. It is only a short walk from the quaint downtown of Falmouth. We made our reservations very last minute on a discount site... so we ended up with the room right next to the lobby. There was some noise from the lobby, but it was light enough that we could cover it up by turning on the room fan. The room was clean and seemed recently renovated. The bed was ok, but the thick pillowtop cover was a bit too squishy for someone with back problems. The front desk people were very helpful. The rooms have a DVD player, fridge+freezer, and microwave. (There is a small food shop around the corner if you need some basics to fill up the fridge).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYtravelers_111
Reviewed 1 September 2013

After checking in I went to the room which was ok, not really what I was expecting after looking at pictures online. Then decided to go for a swim, the pool was great...I'm not usually a swimmer. Returned back to room to shower...that is when I was grossed out! I got in the shower and looked up to see a ceiling that had water stains (form a leak in room upstairs). Then I noticed black mold along ceiling and wall. Then looked down to see a bug crawling on floor! Ewwww! I decided to go speak with the manager, the desk girls seemed like they didn't want me to talk to her at first, they were finally helpful and moved me to another room. I did speak to someone who wasn't the manager, not sure her title, who didn't seem to want to help my situation at all! I even showed her pictures of the ceiling! While packing my thing to move to new room, maintenance came in to see what I was talking about. They tried to tell me it was nothing, an old light fixture was removed...I know the difference! I was happy with the location, could walk to main street. I just wish I could have been treated with a little more respect!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

I think that the strong point of this hotel is the location: close to the small centre. It's not big but has something nice! At the reception the staff is fantastic!! They helped me with many different small issues I had. A negative note is related to breakfast. The sfaff of the diner which is related to the hotel weren't friendly at all and the food that was served wasn't good in terms of quality and variety. I'm not sure if this bad treatment was only for us ( i went with an organised tour) as i saw serving nice pan cake to the walk-in customers, but even so it's an indication on their true nature! So ok for the hotel BUT double check if you choose the all included form.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Staff helpful and went to great lengths to have both our room and the in laws next door to each other. Great location for exploring the Cod and Martha's Vineyard and great for just a wander into town. Our room was a little close to the main road, but we had such busy days and comfy beds meant that we didn't really hear the traffic too much.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Holiday Inn Cape Cod-Falmouth
ShoreWay Acres Inn & Cape Cod Lodging
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
#7 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to Inn on the Square? Share your experiences!