“Perfectly adequate hotel”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
NH
“Perfectly adequate hotel”
Reviewed 30 October 2008

There are so many negative reviews here about Inn on the Square that I felt compelled to write one of my own. I've stayed here three times in the last few months (for work) and a couple other times in the past few years. It is not a luxury hotel, but it is a perfectly adequate place. The rooms I've been in have been clean. The furnishings are not designer-level, but they are perfectly fine. I haven't interacted much with the staff, but the desk person did move me to another room in the middle of my last stay because of a crying baby in the room next door; the staff member was very accommodating when I inquired about switching rooms. The only downsides that I could possibly complain about are that 1) the alarm clocks are all off by an hour, and it's not obvious how to reset them and 2) while there's an assortment of white, green, and herbal Tazo teas for breakfast, there's no black tea (should people who don't drink coffee not be able to find an alternative source of caffeine to start our days?). All in all, those are relatively minor complaints. In addition to feeling like this hotel is perfectly adequate, I've always been able to get good deals on Priceline, making it a logical choice of hotels in Falmouth.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I visit Falmouth frequently and usually stay at a lovely B an B called "The Palmer House." Since they were full I decided to give the Inn a try. I was greeted by an unfriendly and unsmiling desk clerk. The room was shabby and disapppointing. In the middle of the night the fire alarm went off - in my room only. The night manager assured me it was a false alarm. As soon as I fell back to sleep it went off again. The night manager came to my room, but didn't want to step on my bed to see what was wrong. So I climbed up and undid the alarm. Water had leaked through the ceiling and was short circuiting the alarm. At 2 in the morning I had to pack up all my stuff and move to another room. The next morning the manager told me the alarm had gone off for my safety, and he refused to comp my room. Instead I had to settle for a 20% discount. I would have moved out, but there were no rooms available elsewhere. The second night - hoping for an early night- I fell asleep only to have the phone ring at 10:30 pm. The front desk told me it was "nothing," they were redoing their voice mail system. I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Witsy

Travellers are raving about these Falmouth hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2008

Was a bit worried when the night before arriving we saw the other reviews but hey we'd booked the most expensive room so could it be that bad........? Answer, yes in some areas it was that bad.
On checking in with our by now very heavy luggage (final night of our three week fly-drive, including shopping...) the receptionist announced that there wasn't an elevator and we were on the second floor. Fortunately she found someone to collect our cases if we brought them to the door but this would really be a problem for older or less agile people. Whilst waiting in the reception area we thought it was a bit..... erm........smelly?
Got to the suite which was ok but nowhere near as nice as the website suggests - just how old are those images on that website?! The rooms were extremely brown and dated.
We went out and had a lovely ice cream at Ben & Bill's (highly recommended) and a walk around Falmouth.
When we arrived back the reception area simply stank - it was an awful sewage smell - so we rushed upstairs trying not to breathe in the awful stench.
We'd been recommended to eat at the Coonamassett Inn (think that's it) so we changed and went out using the rear stairs; passing the vending machines near the rooms numbered low 100's the corridor air temperature must have been close to 100f it was stifling - even though the emergency exit door to the outside was propped open (security risk?) and I would not want to walk through there or stay in those rooms at all. In fact we'd never want to stay in this hotel again!

• Liked — ..... location was ok. Otherwise leaving was good!
  • Disliked — Peeling wallpaper, brown decor and of course that sewage smell
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We stayed here 1 night in August. So many of what others say negatively is what we experienced. The manager did not respond. Now, the email address is no longer valid for the "inn"!! Stay away! Don't listen to the pollyannas!!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jcraigbell
Washington, DC
Reviewed 31 August 2008

The hotel claims to be up to date and worth the price it charges for rooms. In fact, I stayed here twice this year, once in May and once in August. Both times the rooms were in very poor condition. There was an odor of mold throughout. The carpet was old and dirty (not vacuumed). The bathroom amenities were of poor quality. And the towels were worn and small.

During the August stay we were given a room in the Cottage. The bathtub took twenty minutes to drain. The toilet would not flush without holding the handle down throughout. And the front door entry boards were rotted and falling off.

That having been said, the staff was friendly and the complimentary breakfast was well done.

I have stayed at the Inn on the Square every year since 2004. I am afraid this will be the last time. The rooms really have deteriorated in condition to that extent.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Based on the hotel's website, one is led to believe this is a "luxury" property. There is absolutely nothing luxurious about this place. It is a glorified motel with Starbucks coffee in the rooms. The towels are the kind that wont get around your waist unless you have a 28" waist. And the toiletries aren't fancy European ones like they claim on the website. There was all kinds of mold in the ceiling of my bathroom. I can't believe they can get away charging $279 for this dump. I stayed in one of the "cottage" rooms which is separate from the main building. The door was mangled and did not close smoothly. When I complained to the desk clerk that the web site is misleading, she told me, "you should see some of the neighboring properties". Like that is relevant. A lady told me the Palmer House Bed & Breakfast around the block on Palmer Av is nice. Try that instead if you need to be in the area.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank breakaway4
CA
Reviewed 24 August 2008

My colleagues were staying there and told me the hotel was full, but I managed to book a room via their wesite (a month in advance). When I arrived at 2 am I was told there had been "a problem with the pipes" and I was booked into another hotel (which turned out to be a foul motel called the Admiralty Inn - but that is a different review).

The next day, big suprise, one of my colleagues had had the exact same experience 2 weeks earlier. Apparently either the 'pipes' are bad in this hotel, or they routinely double book your room, and then lie to you once you turn up. I suspect the latter...

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank unhappy_woe_is_me
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Holiday Inn Cape Cod-Falmouth
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
#1 of 8 in Sandwich
Cape Codder Resort & Spa

Been to Inn on the Square? Share your experiences!