“Soooo not worth the money-you can do much better”
Review of Inn on the Square

Inn on the Square
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Atlanta, Georgia
“Soooo not worth the money-you can do much better”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel since we were in town for a wedding and other hotels were booked. Now we know why they had rooms.

first, when we called the hotel shortly before our arrival, inquiring about an hour early check in since we had a wedding to get ready for, we were told we had no reservation, nothing was on the books. looking into it, the gentleman on the phone called us back 15 minutes later to say that everything was ok and we could come early.

next, we went to persey's (the on site *famous* restaurant to get a quick sandwich with our 2, 4, and 6 year olds. i told the girl getting our drinks that we had to get to a wedding in 45 minutes and could we order quickly and get our food quickly. when she returned 7 minutes later with our drinks, she said she would tell the waitress. to sum it up, we waited another 24 minutes for our food. very disappointing.

then, we go to our room to find there is no *latch lock base* for the lock to attach to. the screw holes were visible on the door where it once was. there was only the lock on the door knob--nothing else.
the towels were so thin you could practically see through them.
the floor in the bathroom by the toilet had a HUGE brown rust stain.
the pillows,sheets and the entire room did not smell fresh or clean.
the walls were so thin, we could hear the next door neighbors tv program.

this is something you would expect from a super 8-not a falmouth hotel at $200 a night.

2 Thank atlantamom6969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My new boyfriend and I decided to take our first weekend trip away together. He used to spend summers on Cape Cod and loves it but his family no longer has a house there so we needed to find a hotel. After a bit of internet searching, I settled on the Inn on the Square because it was reasonably priced, had free internet and looked pretty nice. Everything was pretty much as we expected. The restaurant in the hotel has the hugest breakfast menu I've ever seen. I ended up closing my eyes and picking because I couldn't decide between skillet cornbread with poached eggs, belgian waffles with fruit, the spanish omelette or just about anything else. Of course my boyfriend knew exactly what he wanted as usual and he got banana pancakes. Wow!!! There's some great food down in North Carolina, but this was pretty awesome. Our room was simple but nice. The sheets were super soft. The hotel has a quaint feel, but isn't small like a bed and breakfast. After that sort of breakfast we couldn't do much so we went for a walk in the downtown area of Falmouth, which was really really cute and only a couple blocks from the hotel. We were still stuffed by lunch time, so we rented a two seater bicycle and rode around town until we were finally hungry at 3 pm- ice cream it was! I'm sure your not suprised to hear that we returned to the hotel for a nap after that...who can resist those great sheets! The hotel staff was very friendly and overall we thought this was a very convenient and nice hotel on Cape Cod.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Pros: The service at the front desk was friendly and very helpful. I was looking for Italian food for lunch and they were happy to direct me. They were quick to offer a crib for our 3-month old child. Certainly a family friendly spot. We enjoyed the jacuzzi right there in our room. Quick walk to the downtown shops and restaurants.

Cons: The feel is more like a hotel than a cozy inn. We got a deal, but in general the place seems over priced. We had a bad experience with the restaurant attached to the hotel (Percy's Place)- we sat there for 25 minutes drinking our coffee but our waitress never came to take our meal. Not a fancy place to eat, but fine for kids.

Bottom line: If you get a deal and have kids, this hotel could work. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

1 Thank knobo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2010

We headed to Cape Cod for a relaxing "baby moon" before our first child arrived. Our goal was to stay at a nice hotel, shop, enjoy the town, and relax on the beach. This "hotel" flat out lied about their amenities. My husband chose this place based on their claims and nice pictures on the web. Plus since it was so expensive ($200 a night) we figured it must be nice. They claim to be the "premier hotel" of Falmouth with luxury rooms and "oversized plush bath towels". Nothing could be further from the truth. The rooms were very old and small. Their so called bath towels were much smaller than an average bath towel. I've never seen one so tiny (and no, they weren't the hand towels). After we got our room, I even went back to the desk asking for a bigger one like what is shown in their pictures. The woman working the desk (who was very rude and acted like she hated her job) told us that was the average room. I showed her their brochure that showed their "standard room" and she said it was actually a picture of their suites. I pointed out it was labeled as a standard room and she said, "yeah, I don't know why they did that." I decided to just grin and bear it and give the place a chance - big mistake.

The housekeeping was TERRIBLE. Our shower had mold all over the walls and shower curtain. When I opened a towel a huge black hair ball fell out - seriously. There was even some brown liquid all over the bedroom wall that had dried there. It was disgusting. The second day we were there, housekeeping never came to clean our room. I went and said something to the front desk and they said they had already left for the day. We didn't have any dry towels left so the front desk attendant had to go find some for us. While I was up there, there was a clipboard sitting on the desk with "guest requests" listed. The top of the page had the date and just in 1 day, there was over 20 requests and problems listed. Everything from stopped up toilets, no toilet paper, no clean towels, broken television, etc. I was shocked.

The staff at this place is not too helpful. It seemed the inn had only hired high school students to work there since it was summer time. They would help with directions to somewhere but didn't have many good suggestions of restaurants, etc. We asked for directions to the beach and the guy told us it was .5 miles. So we thought we'd walk there. It was 98 degrees that day and I am 5 months pregnant, but I live in Chicago and thought .5 miles is nothing. Turns out it was over 2 miles. I thought I was going to pass out. When we finally got back to the inn, we said something to the guy working about the distance. He simply chuckled and said, "sorry, I'm not too good with distances." Shouldn't the front desk representative know how far their beach is!?

Speaking of the beach, don't plan on having a place to relax, unless you bring your own chair. The beach had tons of rocks and seaweed all over the place. We heard other people complaining about how gross it was. We looked all around and asked around for a place to rent a chair or umbrella but there wasn't anything. We were told to go to Wal-Mart if we wanted something. So if you plan on spending the day at the beach, plan ahead and bring something with you. We also couldn't fully get in water due to all the seaweed. We could only go about mid thigh depth.

The town and downtown area is really neat. We enjoyed eating at their local restaurants and shopping there. And the locals were so kind. However, don't be fooled by the inn's advertisements that they are right in the square. Its about a .5 mile walk to get to the square area. Their pictures are not accurate. But if you do decide to stay here, its an easy walk into the square and well worth it. Sadly, that's the ONLY positive thing about this place, the location.

They way over-charge. We paid $200 a night to stay in a low level motel, which is what I would classify this place as. Would NEVER recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blakeh293

Travellers are raving about these Falmouth hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We were quite disappointed with this hotel. It looked quite nice on the outside - typical Cape Cod building with cedar shingles, but was less than exemplary on the inside.

We booked online before getting to Falmouth and once we checked in, we were given a room in the "cottage" section of the Inn. This is basically a two level (20 or so room) detached building a few feet away from the main inn.

Unfortunately for us (although I suspect all the other rooms are similar), it didn't look very clean. The carpets throughout (hallway and room) were dirty and need to be replaced. We were given a double queen room which was so small it should have been limited to a single queen bed. It was not possible to wheel our luggage around to the middle of the room, the configuration of the beds with the walls didn't allow it.

Everything about the room was old and dusty/dirty. As commented in other reviews, the walls are paper thin, and everything outside the room can be heard.

At the price that this hotel commands, it is definitely not a recommended stay for us.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MGDawg
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 July 2010

From the get go, this hotel could not have been a better choice from families. We came in late at night with one half asleep infant and a crying toddler. We had called ahead to make sure they had a crib and it was already waiting in our room, which they assured us was in a quiet corner where the kids wouldn't bother anyone. Fastforward to 3 hours later, when our toddler was still crying hysterically. Nick at the front desk was able to help us find a 24 hour clinic and it turned out our son had an ear infection. Once he had some medicine, he was feeling much better and we were able to spend the week enjoying the beaches as expected. It was a great week.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2010

It was our first anniversary for my boyfriend and I. We wanted to go for a long weekend in Paris but with the economy and everything we decided to plan a weekend on Cape Cod. In the end I think it was better than Paris because it was so relaxing and wonderful and we didn't have to spend any time in an airport!

We live in New York City so we took the trian and then the ferry to Martha's Vineyard and then spent one night in Martha's Vineyard and one night on Cape Cod. We chose Falmouth since I looked on Google Maps and it was so close to the ferry.

The Inn on the Square was extremely conveniently located and our room was very sweet with wood furniture and a little mini fridge for snacks. The hotel has a very quaint feel which is such a nice change from all the modern hotels around New York. It was so romantic and old-fashioned.

I swam laps in the morning and the pool was gorgeous--pristine and totally empty. We decided to pack up a picnic lunch and then rented bikes from the hotel (so easy!) and rode to the beach. We picked up the stuff for our lunch at an expensive but very nice gourmet store on Main Street, which was easy to walk to from the hotel. Once we had everything, we rode along the shining sea bike path. We rode the entire 3 miles to Woodshole and then had our lunch and lounged outside for the rest of the afternoon. We rode back, turned in the bikes, took naps and then ventured back to main street for dinner.

I had done a lot of research to pick the perfect restaurant for us, La Civetta Italian was everything I hoped it would be. I had the cod, which was delicious, but I couldn't help sneaking a bite of my boyfriend's homemade tagliatelle with veal ragu. We split a bottle of wine and when we told them it was our anniversary they brought us a complimentary dessert. It was a delicious chocolate cake with a molten center and it wasn't even on the menu. The bed was amazing, I wanted to bring it back to New York City with me. We both slept really well and woke up feeling refreshed.

On the way back we decided to make this our anniversary tradition and go back every year.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Holiday Inn Cape Cod-Falmouth
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
#1 of 8 in Sandwich
Cape Codder Resort & Spa

Been to Inn on the Square? Share your experiences!