“Safari Nightmare!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Foxboro
Normandy Farms Family Camping Resort
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were in the Safari 4 section and were extremely disappointed with the lack on assistance we received on Friday night the 9th. A large group of fathers (20) with their children took over the entire Safari 4 section. At around 1AM Saturday morning, the men were extremely loud. A group began, behind my tent, playing "beer bottle" frisby. I asked them to stop and they continued playing. I called the after hours number at 1:15 and the ranger on call said he would be down to check. No one came. I called again at 1:40AM and the ranger answered the phone and said he would be right there. No one came. I called again at 1:55AM (approximate) and he answered the phone and I asked where he was. I again said that I was trying to sleep, the beer bottle frisbee was still going on, and the party was getting louder. He said he would be right there. He did not show up. I reported the incident to the front office on Saturday morning. They hadn't had time to check the evening logs but did say that the would get "Steve" to talk to the men. I also informed the front desk (this was at 8:30AM) that the children were playing in the water spiket behind my tent and the water had been continuously running since 7AM and I was concerned that my tent may start to flood. The front desk assured me that Steve would check the situation out and keep me updated. Around 3PM we flagged Steve down in the truck and asked him for an update. He said he talked with them. We informed him that the water has been running non-stop all day and our tent was now wet. He said OK. We left the site around 5PM for a concert. We returned at 12:30AM and all of the men were up around the fire but it was quieter. They finally all went to bed around 2AM. My first impression when I went to the office was that well, you are in the Safari so that will happen. We rented space in the Safari and expected the "quiet time" hours/rules to apply there as well. We also expected some level of privacy or respect for our space. The children literally took over the Safari during the day (constantly running into my tent and through my area) and the fathers took over the Safari at night. There was literally no monitoring of this large group by the rangers. My family and I spent nearly every summer camping at Normandy Farms and I was excited to be able to return with friends and recommend the campground to them. My children are now grown and I hadn't been back in a few years. It is still a beautiful place but very large now. I'm not sure if there was a lack of personnel on staff to handle the complaint or if the person on call just didn't care. Either way, the support we received on the was disappointing and non-existent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lisa D
NormandyFarms, Guest Relations Manager at Normandy Farms Family Camping Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Hi Lisa, my name is Lisa Pascale and I’m the Guest Relations Director at Normandy Farms. I have worked here for many years and I know you mentioned that you have been camping at the park for quite a few years so I think we have something else in common besides our first names! I want to thank you for coming back to the park and introducing your friends to Normandy Farms. I’m deeply sorry that we did not make a very good first impression. I hope you will agree from your years of camping here, this type of experience is not the norm. As team members, our common goal is to ensure that our guests have a positively memorable experience. We had a departmental meeting this morning and I shared your comments with the different supervisors and we all agreed on one thing, we really blew it. I wish I could tell you that our Overnight Hospitality Host handled the situation in the most effective manner, but I would be wrong if I did. I wish I could tell you that the Supervisor in the Receptive Center that you spoke with in the morning resolved the matter, but I can’t say that either. What I can say is that I am truly sorry. I can assure you that your message has been taken very seriously and that while we prefer emails full of compliments, yours has been very insightful. Thank you for helping us to recognize our weaknesses, it is the input of others that keeps us keep moving in the right direction, even when we hit a few speed bumps on the way.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Inconsistency is its middle name. Whatever numbskull you happen to get at the "Farms" to assign your site depends on how crappy it will be.

First mistake was when we arrived. We arrived on time for check in at 2pm. Turns out that the party before us paid extra to reserve the site for another hour so we were told to wait at the nearby Target until 3pm.

Second mistake was when we got there. We had two vehicles and the staff assigned us 1 code for just one vehicle. Our RV wasn't assigned a code. If there hadn't been a staff member with a brain at the gate to have pity on us and let us in, we would have been S.O.L..

Normandy Farms promises that if you have an RV/motorhome, you get cable and sewer. We paid full price (minus the 10% Good Sam's & $10 first timer coupon) and only got water and a 20amp service for the RV, barely enough to power the RV...WITHOUT SEWER. Apparently there are other sites that have sewer with gravel lots and higher power, but we must have got spots held for 'couponers'. We don't even have gravel like some of the other sites do...we have dirt/mud...not even grass. Were right in front of a parking lot to top it all off.

The bathrooms are clean...however I'm not sure what they were thinking when they built only 9 female showers in a 1 sq mile area....which in someone's foolish mind are expected to accommodate the 100+ females in the area.

To ice the cake, you have to pay for the laundry. $3 for a smaller load than you'd get at home in an HE washer. And, don't forget you have to pay for the dryers as well...25cents for an unspecified number of minutes.

Room Tip: Easy! Don't come!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marissa K
NormandyFarms, Guest Relations Manager at Normandy Farms Family Camping Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Ouch! This one really hurts. These are the times when I wish I knew who the writer was so I could research your concerns and see where we went wrong.

First, let me say our new Guest Service Representatives go through about 40 hours of extensive training prior to reaching the front desk that is followed by a month of on the job training, with a mentor. To think that we did such a poor job with this guest makes me feel just terrible. It seems like routine every day tasks went awry.

Our posted arrival time has always been 3pm. Our departure time is 2pm, which gives us an hour to turn over all of the sites for our next arrival. We don’t have a late stay option in the summer as we are just too busy.

Secondly, my apologies for missing one of your car passes. The gals that work at the Hospitality Station have everything they need to print a second one in the event this does happen. In cases like yours we are fortunate to have a back up plan so as not to inconvenience you.

I am a bit puzzled by your statement “Normandy Farms promises that if you have an RV/motorhome, you get cable and water”. Where we book so far in advance, we encourage our guests to book the sites that are most appropriate for their needs. As time goes by, the inventory of sites that offer full hookups diminishes and some guests may end up taking a site with lesser hookups. Because of this, we could never guarantee any type of services remaining in our inventory though we do the best we can to accommodate each and every family. We do not hold spots for couponers and I’m not even sure what a couponer is. We offer our sites on a first come-first serve basis and let our guests choose the site they would like from the options that are available at that time.

Thank you for commenting on the cleanliness of our bathrooms, we work very hard to keep them that way and appreciate your positive comments. There was a time when we would have folks waiting to use the shower facilities, but now with most guests taking full hookup sites we find our showers get used less and less. With regards to the cost of laundry, in my experience traveling, whether to a hotel or a campground, there has always been a fee for this service.

I’d like to say that trip advisor is a wonderful forum for folks to share their thoughts and experiences. Every park owner needs to know where improvements can be made, and I believe that these comments (both good and bad) help us to improve. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I would encourage you to contact me directly at 866-673-2767 x313 if you would like to discuss your concerns.

Lisa Pascale, Guest Relations Director

Reviewed 7 August 2013

When you are traveling, and go to new places, it is always a challenge to find the right things to do, the right routes to take, the right places to dine, the right choices to make. There are good campgrounds around. However, the concierge service puts this organization over the top - it totally sets Normandy Farms apart from others. The concierge service takes this campground from good to great. We e-mailed questions about a day trip in advance - a packet was waiting for us when we arrived. When we arrived we totally changed our minds based on face to face discussions with Maggie. She steered us to a couple of day trips that were just right for us and our interests. She took all the time we needed, made recommendations about transportation, timing, places to eat. She gave us tips that only a local person would know. We enjoyed two awesome days here; we'll be back! Thanks, Normandy Farms!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
NormandyFarms, Guest Relations Manager at Normandy Farms Family Camping Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

I can't tell you how delighted we all are to hear your glowing comments and thank you for including Normandy Farms in your family's vacation. We are truly lucky as the Concierge team that we have couldn't be more enthusiastic about their role here in the park. In their free time they are known to be out and about, scouting out new exhibits, restaurants and other attractions so they can share all their exciting discoveries with our guests. I will be sure to let Maggie know that she made a difference in your plans, which resulted in a fabulous vacation for you. I hope your journey home was a safe and enjoyable one - thanks again!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

This is one of those places that first pops in your head when you think about going on vacation or even a weekend getaway. Normandy Farms is simply one of if not THE best campgrounds I have ever had the pleasure to stay at. The other reviews have already stated all the amenities and I'll just follow up with "What they all said". The one thing I noticed is the meticulous care given to the resort. It seems there was always someone cleaning or sweeping or just tidying up all around the grounds and in the buildings. The few times I used the bath houses, they were always clean and the pools were crystal. If I needed anything, there was always someone close by to ask and if it wasn't part of their job, they made it so.

When I made the reservation, there were only two sites available for the time we wanted to go and it appeared from the website that these sites were not the most desirable due to their location. But I was completely wrong or I just picked the right one of the two because our site was perfect. Close enough to the pool and bath house but far enough away from the playgrounds. Even though the site was on the main road, it was deep enough to allow us to be very private and quiet. I just hope this little jewel isn't found out!

And if you're into cycling, this is definitely the place to go. There are no limits to the number of options you have for a great road ride and with a rolling terrain, it will fit most any cyclist's needs. However, I'd recommend some heartier tires such as Gatorskins because the roads get really abused in the winter and are not the smooth, fresh asphalt we all dream about. But the countryside makes up for the roads and makes for a great day on the bike. And for you MTBer's out there (That's Mountain Biker's for the non-cyclist), you will be blessed with F. Gilbert Hills State Park directly across the road from the campground. Here you will find around 30 miles of single and double track trails through out the 1000 acres of forrest. The northern portion is rooty but flowing while the southern part is rock garden heaven for those looking for a more technical experience. Regardless, this is a fantastic State Park for anyone wanting to experience real mountain biking. And if this isn't enough, there are probably 10 different state parks with great trails, all within a 10 mile radius of the campground.

So I guess everyone is wondering why the 9.8 instead of a perfect 10? I feel there is a little bit of price gouging going on and while we're only talking small percentages, multiple times add up. IDK, I just feel that if you charge "street prices" for you ancillary products that customers are probably more willing to purchase them. So you might cut your profit in half but you'll probably sell twice as much. And $3 to wash a load of laundry? If you split colors and whites, you'll spend $6 just to smell and look good! :-) It's the little things that shows you appreciate your customers.

And last but not least.. Actually this one was .180 of the .2 deduction. If you're gonna advertise "Free WiFi", then make sure you have the band width and service to ensure the service. This one was extremely frustrating. True, there are hundreds of camp sites and true, there are over 10 (that covers the ones I could see on my computer) nodes to connect to but the service was marginal in the early morning and non-existent in the evening. This is extremely frustrating when you have work to do and can't get online to complete it. If a hotel can have hundreds of rooms and still provide fast, free service then I see no reason why a campground with hundreds of sites can't do the same.

BUT, don't let the internet issue sway you because you will NOT find a better campground anywhere that I've been. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We’ll surely take a 9.8 and strive for a 10+ next time. I think we’ve got the cleanliness and friendliness down to a science (but that’s not saying its easy), and I can’t say enough about our location, our family has been fortunate enough to have spent the last 260 years here. As an avid biker myself, I love visiting the adjacent state forest. If you visit with us again and want a guided mountain bike ride, just inquire with the Concierge as I'm always looking for and excuse to ride! Thanks for mentioning the WiFi. We are presently working to increase the speed and reliability by adding more bandwidth and nodes throughout the park. Being in an outdoor setting with varied terrain, creates unique challenges for campgrounds. Unlike a hotel, which is a more linear structure with less wiring issues, we are dealing with rolling terrain, trees, buildings, camping units, etc – all which can disrupt the signal. With the park full to capacity (450 sites) and an average of 4 personal devices per site, delivering a strong signal can be a challenge. With that said, we are working to improve the service to meet the current demand. Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

While visiting family in Rhode Island, we needed a nice campground centrally located. We were recommended to, and found Normandy Farms.
This is our first time camping here, but certainly won't be our last. We've stayed at many campgrounds over the years, but this is by far the best one that we have stayed at.
At first we were a little shocked at the price for a premium site, but as soon as we got here, we saw that it was well worth the price.

It is a huge campground with many ammenities, and rec areas.

Our site was in the center of the campground and it was pretty quiet. We did notice however, that the farther towards the back of the campground that you go, the more highway noise you hear, as I-495 runs behind the campground.

The campground is very peaceful, but at the same time enough things to keep you occupied. There are plenty of activities planned by the campground throughout the week, for both adults and kids.

Overall it is a very nice place and worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dan F

Your kind words made our day! I’m so glad your visit was a memorable one. We do hope you’ll visit with us the next time your travels bring you to New England as we’d love the opportunity to host you again!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We were in town for family reunions and the campground was center to everything we wanted/needed to do. Easy access from the freeway and just a few miles from Patriot Place, shopping, etc. The place is immaculate and the staff friendly and helpful. Because most of our time was spent elsewhere visiting family our use of the facilities was limited. Did get to enjoy the pool, sauna, hot tub and their camp kitchen a few times. Everything is A+. Campground appeared to be full at all times, lots of children and yet it was quiet. The only negative is several of our nearby adult campers felt it was okay for them to walk through our site as a shortcut to the bathroom when we were having our meal at the picnic table. This does not reflect on the campground but falls on the shoulders of adults who are lacking social graces.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are so glad you included us as part of your family reunion. Considering you traveled all the way from Arizona, it must have been a wonderful time! I understand your frustration regarding guests cutting through sites. We have tried various tactics to prevent this behavior including creative landscaping, posting signs and educating guests by providing camping etiquette tips. This continues to be a challenge for us, but we’ll continue to work on a solution. Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

the place was spotless! the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. My daughter loved the 4 pools and it rained one day so we got to use the lodge. people were playing Bingo in the main hall. the place really lived up to its billing and the photos. We used the playground which was a wonderful touch. we saw the staff cleaning the outdoor furniture and the bathrooms and showers were extremely clean. even though we didn't use the bike course we saw lots of kids over there and it looks like its a blast. i asked a staff member how to get to the downstairs kids room and she walked me down to show it to me rather than just directing me.

Bravo.

now if they could put up a sound barrier next to the major highway where our campsite was it would be perfect. :) the campsites up at the front are away from the highway noise but down in the back you could definitely hear the traffic all the time.

Our campsite was clean and we had a lean-to which was very clean and useful.

Room Tip: perfect for kids. lots to do and its all free (except the ice cream)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kahunacarp
NormandyFarms, Guest Relations Manager at Normandy Farms Family Camping Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

"Exceeded our expectations"
I am so excited about your review and can't thank you enough for sharing your enthusiasm with all of us at Normandy Farms as well as other potential visitors. We work diligently as a team to be sure that we can surpass the "white glove test" and what a compliment it is when someone notices! Now on to the second half of your comment with regards to Safari 4 in the very back of the park and while sound barriers would be the ideal solution, its quite costly; however, it is on the future wish list. We are presently working on enhancing our natural landscaping, which has been proven to help reduce the sound level. With a variety of foliage here in the park, we benefit from the leafy trees that also offer a pleasant calming sound and aid in reducing external noises.Looking forward to your next visit and hope the rest of your camping season is a memorable one!