“Crazy pool hours”

Magnuson Hotel Framingham
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Framingham
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hotel room clean and large. Breakfast good lots of shopping and eats nearby, divided highway makes travel nearby difficult. The pool hours were unuseable for us 3p til 10 p. They did give us our room an hour before check in time which was nice. Coffee in hotel lobby very good.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was our third or fourth time to stay in this hotel. We stay here annually for a night or two when we are visiting the Boston area, even though it is a bit far away from our destination point, because the hotel is pet-friendly and we are traveling with 2 dogs.

Last year during our stay, we had the unpleasant experience of having to pass two huge, open, black bags of rubbish and garbage that had been left on the staircase, and which were never removed during the period of our stay! The smell was awful, and the sight was extremely unappealing. After seeing them there for a couple of hours, I stopped at the Housekeeper's Office to report the bags, and to ask that they be removed. Hours later, the bags were still there! The next morning, the bags were STILL there. I again spoke to the Housekeeper, who was sitting there with two other female employees, enjoying a chat. By the time we left, later that day, the bags were still on the staircase...

We thought that this was some sort of anomaly that would not be repeated, and again reserved a room for our annual visit this week, since there were other things to recommend this hotel to us --- a good breakfast, and a large, clean room, for example --- and few other choices of hotels in the area that would accept our dogs.

Although I had specifically requested a room closer to the breakfast room than we'd had before, when we checked in, we were assigned a room at the far end of the "Lodge" building and on the upper floor (no elevator!). I asked why my request had been ignored, and was told that this was the only part of the hotel where pets could stay. It was in the same place where we'd stayed the previous times, and where the garbage bags had been left. When I mentioned that incident to the woman at the front desk, a man suddenly appeared, introducing himself as JOHN KILGALLEN, the owner of the hotel. He expressed surprise, even some disbelief, to hear my story of the garbage being left, and said he simply "couldn't imagine it." He did say --- although I hadn't asked for it --- that he would give us some unspecified "discount" on our present room, that would show up on the bill to be left under the door the next morning. And that was the end of that, or so I thought!

The next morning, there was no bill under the door; so, as we were checking out, we stopped at the office to pick it up. There was, indeed, a 10% reduction on the room rate. As soon as I walked in, however, Mr. Kilgallen came out of his office and confronted me with the news that he "couldn't find me" in his computer system from last year, and further, that they NEVER used "black garbage bags" in his hotel! His meaning was absolutely clear: I was lying! The implication was also that I had told this "false" story in order to get a reduction on the room rate! This led to a rather unpleasant argument at the front desk, with him refusing to accept ANY criticism of his hotel, telling me again that they "never use black bags," that I must have confused this hotel with another hotel, and that they "can't find me in the system," etc. When I examined the Invoice, I noticed that my name had been misspelled! It was probably misspelled last year, too, which might explain their difficulty in locating my previous reservation. I became very angry at this point at the accusation of dishonesty on my part, and I did lose my temper, to the extent that I raised my voice somewhat. Mr. Kilgallen immediately told his receptionist to "Call the police!" and ordered me to leave!

We did so, of course, and we will never return there to stay, ever again. Obviously, the owner, John Kilgallen is unable to accept any criticism of any kind about his hotel. There are other criticisms that I can make: 1) The second-floor corridor in the Lodge Building that leads to the room where we stayed has an overpowering smell of disinfectant/deodorizer that is literally hard to bear; 2) the breakfast room is nearly impossible to find, and is a "hike" from the Lodge Building, down two flights of stairs and a very long walk; 3) there is no elevator in the Lodge Building, so we must haul our luggage and ourselves (with the dogs) up and down a steep flight of stairs. The room, itself, was okay.

All in all, this was a nightmarish experience that I will never care to repeat. I am not accustomed to having my integrity/honesty questioned at the front desk of a third-rate hotel, or being threatened with a call to the police, or being ordered to leave! Be forewarned: NO CRITICISMS ACCEPTED!

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor of the Lodge Building (maybe the Lodge Building entirely!);NO ELEVATOR, and a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mjo22000
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Booked for our visit to Boston. Although it was 14 miles from Boston it was easy to get to and lots of store options. Rooms were clean and large. Pool was very nice. Breakfast in morning was plentiful with choices and fresh fruit. Plenty of parking. Great choice for the price. If you want high end luxury, go someplace else.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014

See Survey for answers. The Hotel was excellent and very comfortable. The staff was very accommodating. We found the Hotel very difficult in finding our way to the breakfast bar, etc. because of the layout and we were not alone. Ran into many others who couldn't figure out where the breakfast room was because of the layout.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location for mall and not far from Boston. Big room, nice big pool. British pub was great and 10% off with being as hotel guest.Unfortunately there were some guest that like to slam doors at 1am. Looks like the lobby was an old Howard Johnson restaurant from the outside.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

perfect place to stay close to everything stores and places to eat right there rooms are spacious and quiet at night staff is friendly and helpful also the price is right air conditioner works great the bed is comfortable with great pillows

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We just happened upon this place by accident. The rooms were nice and clean.Parking was very adequate. The on sight Pub had good food, many domestic and micro brews to choose from. The breakfast was fabulous. The girl at the front desk her name escapes me was very friendly and helpful. She made the check in process almost enjoyable after a long day traveling. I would recommend this place to stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Framingham
Red Roof PLUS Boston Framingham
Sheraton Framingham Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick
Courtyard Boston Natick
Residence Inn Boston Framingham

Been to Magnuson Hotel Framingham? Share your experiences!