“Lovely spot and public rooms - overpriced room and lousy service!”
Review of Colonial Hotel

Colonial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“Lovely spot and public rooms - overpriced room and lousy service!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were probably the only people in the hotel NOT there for a wedding. I'm sure it's a lovely place for those events. The public rooms and grounds are nice but the room was really mediocre. We paid for an Executive King and there was, in fact, a king bed but nothing "executive" about it. I've had larger bathrooms in steerage on cruise ships. My husband and I could barely use it at the same time. The bath tub was loose so it moved and creaked while you were in it and there was nothing to keep you from slipping. The hotel was also noisy in the night which I guess is to be expected with wedding folks but it added to the discomfort. Our main complaint is that the room is totally over-priced for the quality.

AND the staff - particularly the front desk had no customer service skills. We arrived early and Jan at the desk was at best unfriendly and at worst bordered on rude. She made no effort to accommodate us and sent us to the restaurant looking at the clock and rolling her eyes when we came back well after the promised time. No one at the facility was very friendly with the exception of the bartender who was nice.

If you aren't forced to stay there because of a conference or wedding, don't.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an Executive Room - not worth it.... though the others may be worse!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ellie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gardner, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I booked a room due to electrical problems at my home....I call back to possibly cancel the reservation....I knew they prolly wouldn't give me my money back but hoped I could possibly get it for another night instead and the person I talked to wasn't a "big" decision maker and they left a message for some woman to call me back but they never did....I will never book there again

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Schwinn88

Travellers are raving about these Gardner hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at the Colonial for two nights for a wedding. The outside wedding setting is beautiful and we had no complaints with the room. Overall, everything went well during our stay and we would recommend the Colonial for those staying in the Gardner area.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
North Andover, MA United States
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I hate writing bad reviews, but since I work in the hospitality industry I couldn't believe this even happened..

My cousin got married at the Colonial Inn this past weekend and it was a lovely event. But due to the fact that everything was at the hotel, the bride and groom and their families spent a lot of money on rooms, the food, the bar, ect. So when my grandfather dropped his keys in the parking lot (which he insisted were not his - turns out they WERE his spare set) he called the hotel and asked the folks at the desk to mail them back to him. Now he's getting older and you can certainly hear that in his voice over the phone. He explained that he had been there earlier for his grandson's wedding and would like the keys mailed to him on Cape Cod.

The person at the desk said of course they could do this but they would need a credit card number for the probably $3 it would take to ship the package. Seriously? After all the money that was spent at their facility that weekend!!

It is so sad that with such a nice event the story that it going to be on the forefront of everyone's memory is how the Colonial had the audacity to ask an elderly man for his credit card information to return him his spare set of keys. Its truly unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Lauren510
Hubbardston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Our daughter just had her wedding at The Colonial Hotel in Gardner. Our experience was truly wonderful. If you are considering having an event there, do not even think to doubt Mary Whitman’s ability to coordinate and execute many functions in one weekend because she is a master of multi-tasking!!!! Her assistant Lindsay also amazing as well as the rest of the staff at the Colonial Hotel!! We will never forget how they were willing to make some very last minute changes for the wedding that we did not expect them to be able to do but all the staff pulled together and made it happen! The attention to detail at the wedding was extraordinary and the amount of available staff far exceeded our expectations. The great service was with us from beginning to end and just like they promised we really didn’t have to worry about anything! We are so grateful for everything they did for us and so is our daughter and her new husband. The food was also excellent!!!!Thank You all so very much!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A hidden gem! Our daughter got married here in August. We booked this venue well over a year I advance. Mary/Lindsey (wedding coordinators) do an awesome job. Everything went according to schedule, from the ceremony at the pergola to the reception in the beautiful new tent. We were able to continue the party in the bar area after the reception was over. The weather was just perfect. We had booked over 40 rooms for everyone. Buffet breakfast was added bonus for everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at the Colonial Hotel for my best friend's wedding this past Friday. The mother of the bride drove an hour and half to the hotel to book their "Colonial Suite" a month before the wedding in person. The wedding was going to be at the Harding Allen Estate about 30 minutes away, and she wanted to make sure the bridal party could all get ready in the suite. She made sure to ask the front desk clerk if we could check in EARLY at 10 am, and was assured it was absolutely no problem. She booked the hotel and paid for it right there. It was very important that early check in was allowed because we had two hair dressers and a makeup artist driving up to meet us there.

We arrived Friday morning at 10 am with bags of stuff and our dresses, ready to get our hair and make up done. The woman at the front desk was already stressed out because the phones were ringing off the hook and she was the only one there. We explained that we were there to check in early to the Colonial Suite to get ready for a wedding. She rudely snapped back "well you can't check in early because there is someone staying in that room. Check out is not until 11 am and check in is not until 3 pm." The mother of the bride explained that this had been already arranged ahead of time and showed her the paperwork she had when she came to book the hotel. The woman at the desk said she did not know what to tell us because, again, there is someone currently in that suite. She also repeated the check in and check out times. She said that she doesn't know who said we could check in early, but that is not something they allow. She did not once apologize to us, instead, she made us feel like it was our problem and she wasn't going to do anything to help us. So the mother of the bride asked to speak to a manager. The woman promptly got on the phone and called her. They spoke back and fourth a bit and then the woman said that the manager will be right down to see us because we were not going to like what she was going to tell us.

We were expecting someone to come down and be apologetic and offer a solution to our situation. Instead we got someone that was stuck up and even more rude than the woman at the front desk. We explained the story again. She did not apologize. She did not care that this was a bride on one of the most important days of her life. She did not care that we had all of our stuff there. She did not care that we had professionals meeting us to do our hair and make up. She did not care that someone at the hotel said this would be no problem. She did however repeat the check in and check out policy. She explained that they have their own weddings there that take preference to everyone else. And that she would most certainly not kick out these guests for us. Great, not only did you screw up, but now you are saying we are not important because our wedding is not at your venue. We were bringing them a TON of business. This wedding had 90 people attending, most all chose to stay at the Colonial. But I guess that didn't mean anything to her.

We continued to go back and forth about the situation. She said that she would most certainly look into who told us that early check in was possible because it is not their policy to allow it. OK GREAT, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT NOW???! CUSTOMER SERVICE 101: Apologize!! And try to offer a solution to the problem!! I DON'T CARE IF IT IS OR IS NOT YOUR POLICY, SOMEONE AT YOUR HOTEL SAID IT WAS OK. SO FIX IT!!

Since she was clearly not interested in finding a solution, WE had to say okay…. well is there another room available for us to get ready in?? She stops her attitude and says yes, I am sure there is a regular room available. The mother of the bride said, well I paid a suite, and I want what I paid for. The woman says "No… you will have the PRIVILEGE of being ALLOWED to use a room you DID NOT PAY FOR before check in." After that statement, I had a few choice words in my head that I wanted to say but I held back. I was so offended and angry, if we were not there for my best friends special day, I would have walked out. We asked if there was another suite available that was not slept in last night. They checked and thankfully there was. They ended up switching us over to that room and giving up the room she originally booked. They never apologized once.

WHY DID THIS TAKE 10 MINUTES TO RESOLVE!?!? They should have immediately apologized and offered to look if there was another suite available! The bride, my best friend, is standing next to me trying to keep her cool while these two rudely made us feel like we were wrong and it was our fault this happened.

I NEVER write reviews, but this was one of the WORST EXPERIENCES I HAVE EVER HAD AT A HOTEL!! We found another reviewer recently that had a similar issue. That hotel manger needs to go back to school or find another profession. She is going to cost the hotel a lot of business. I am telling everyone I know to NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
15 Thank Jamie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardner
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
#2 of 2 in Gardner
Rodeway Inn Westminster
Rodeway Inn Westminster
#1 of 1 in Westminster

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!