“Short getaway”
Review of Colonial Hotel

Colonial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great secluded hotel. The restaurant within had great steaks and atmosphere. Took a short ride and found the Old Mill Restaurant on a river nearby which was a really cool experience. Another short ride and you are at the Yankee Candle Flagship store.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Khris B

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were probably the only people in the hotel NOT there for a wedding. I'm sure it's a lovely place for those events. The public rooms and grounds are nice but the room was really mediocre. We paid for an Executive King and there was, in fact, a king bed but nothing "executive" about it. I've had larger bathrooms in steerage on cruise ships. My husband and I could barely use it at the same time. The bath tub was loose so it moved and creaked while you were in it and there was nothing to keep you from slipping. The hotel was also noisy in the night which I guess is to be expected with wedding folks but it added to the discomfort. Our main complaint is that the room is totally over-priced for the quality.

AND the staff - particularly the front desk had no customer service skills. We arrived early and Jan at the desk was at best unfriendly and at worst bordered on rude. She made no effort to accommodate us and sent us to the restaurant looking at the clock and rolling her eyes when we came back well after the promised time. No one at the facility was very friendly with the exception of the bartender who was nice.

If you aren't forced to stay there because of a conference or wedding, don't.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an Executive Room - not worth it.... though the others may be worse!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ellie B
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I booked a room due to electrical problems at my home....I call back to possibly cancel the reservation....I knew they prolly wouldn't give me my money back but hoped I could possibly get it for another night instead and the person I talked to wasn't a "big" decision maker and they left a message for some woman to call me back but they never did....I will never book there again

Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Schwinn88
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at the Colonial for two nights for a wedding. The outside wedding setting is beautiful and we had no complaints with the room. Overall, everything went well during our stay and we would recommend the Colonial for those staying in the Gardner area.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I hate writing bad reviews, but since I work in the hospitality industry I couldn't believe this even happened..

My cousin got married at the Colonial Inn this past weekend and it was a lovely event. But due to the fact that everything was at the hotel, the bride and groom and their families spent a lot of money on rooms, the food, the bar, ect. So when my grandfather dropped his keys in the parking lot (which he insisted were not his - turns out they WERE his spare set) he called the hotel and asked the folks at the desk to mail them back to him. Now he's getting older and you can certainly hear that in his voice over the phone. He explained that he had been there earlier for his grandson's wedding and would like the keys mailed to him on Cape Cod.

The person at the desk said of course they could do this but they would need a credit card number for the probably $3 it would take to ship the package. Seriously? After all the money that was spent at their facility that weekend!!

It is so sad that with such a nice event the story that it going to be on the forefront of everyone's memory is how the Colonial had the audacity to ask an elderly man for his credit card information to return him his spare set of keys. Its truly unbelievable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Lauren510
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Our daughter just had her wedding at The Colonial Hotel in Gardner. Our experience was truly wonderful. If you are considering having an event there, do not even think to doubt Mary Whitman’s ability to coordinate and execute many functions in one weekend because she is a master of multi-tasking!!!! Her assistant Lindsay also amazing as well as the rest of the staff at the Colonial Hotel!! We will never forget how they were willing to make some very last minute changes for the wedding that we did not expect them to be able to do but all the staff pulled together and made it happen! The attention to detail at the wedding was extraordinary and the amount of available staff far exceeded our expectations. The great service was with us from beginning to end and just like they promised we really didn’t have to worry about anything! We are so grateful for everything they did for us and so is our daughter and her new husband. The food was also excellent!!!!Thank You all so very much!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A hidden gem! Our daughter got married here in August. We booked this venue well over a year I advance. Mary/Lindsey (wedding coordinators) do an awesome job. Everything went according to schedule, from the ceremony at the pergola to the reception in the beautiful new tent. We were able to continue the party in the bar area after the reception was over. The weather was just perfect. We had booked over 40 rooms for everyone. Buffet breakfast was added bonus for everyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardner
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
Hilton Garden Inn Devens Common
Holiday Inn Express Worcester Downtown
SpringHill Suites Devens Common Center
Super 8 Gardner
Super 8 Gardner
#2 of 2 in Gardner
Great Wolf Lodge New England

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!