“In & Out for 2 wks "Gabes"”
Review of Colonial Hotel

Colonial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
Epping NH
“In & Out for 2 wks "Gabes"”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Our family situation brought us to the area, and we are so glad we chose the Colonial Hotel. We had a suite and a regular non smoking room and both were wonderful, always clean! We were there for 11 nites over a two wk period. The food - well after staying so many nites we got to sample many items on the large menu - all were amazing! What a deal, we did the package plan of dinner and breakfast great price! The waitress's were the best, friendly, knowledgeable and professional. All the front door staff were so friendly and helpful as we change our plans many times. We were here both weekends while weddings were happening and during the week for quiet times and felt very comfortable. A very, very pleasurable experience!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Painesville, Ohio
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The Colonial Inn is a great place to stay if you are in the area. This is our second stay at this hotel and it is still one we would come back to. The room was comfortable, but we could smell cigarette smoke every time we left the room. All of the rooms on that floor were marked as non-smoking, but I feel that some felt that only meant the rooms, not the hallways. Other than that, the room was fine. I do feel that our trip to the restaurant was not as satisfactory as the last time we stayed. The prices are comparable, but the add ons can get a little pricey. We ended up spending over $50.00 for a sandwich and pasta. The desserts were definitely not up to par for the price that was charged. The food was tasty, but we would definitely double check before ordering next time. Breakfast was good and I would still recommend this hotel for a relaxing stopping point if you are in the area.

Lynn
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great secluded hotel. The restaurant within had great steaks and atmosphere. Took a short ride and found the Old Mill Restaurant on a river nearby which was a really cool experience. Another short ride and you are at the Yankee Candle Flagship store.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Khris B
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were probably the only people in the hotel NOT there for a wedding. I'm sure it's a lovely place for those events. The public rooms and grounds are nice but the room was really mediocre. We paid for an Executive King and there was, in fact, a king bed but nothing "executive" about it. I've had larger bathrooms in steerage on cruise ships. My husband and I could barely use it at the same time. The bath tub was loose so it moved and creaked while you were in it and there was nothing to keep you from slipping. The hotel was also noisy in the night which I guess is to be expected with wedding folks but it added to the discomfort. Our main complaint is that the room is totally over-priced for the quality.

AND the staff - particularly the front desk had no customer service skills. We arrived early and Jan at the desk was at best unfriendly and at worst bordered on rude. She made no effort to accommodate us and sent us to the restaurant looking at the clock and rolling her eyes when we came back well after the promised time. No one at the facility was very friendly with the exception of the bartender who was nice.

If you aren't forced to stay there because of a conference or wedding, don't.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an Executive Room - not worth it.... though the others may be worse!
2 Thank Ellie B

Travellers are raving about these Gardner hotels

Gardner, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I booked a room due to electrical problems at my home....I call back to possibly cancel the reservation....I knew they prolly wouldn't give me my money back but hoped I could possibly get it for another night instead and the person I talked to wasn't a "big" decision maker and they left a message for some woman to call me back but they never did....I will never book there again

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Schwinn88
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We stayed at the Colonial for two nights for a wedding. The outside wedding setting is beautiful and we had no complaints with the room. Overall, everything went well during our stay and we would recommend the Colonial for those staying in the Gardner area.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
North Andover, MA United States
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I hate writing bad reviews, but since I work in the hospitality industry I couldn't believe this even happened..

My cousin got married at the Colonial Inn this past weekend and it was a lovely event. But due to the fact that everything was at the hotel, the bride and groom and their families spent a lot of money on rooms, the food, the bar, ect. So when my grandfather dropped his keys in the parking lot (which he insisted were not his - turns out they WERE his spare set) he called the hotel and asked the folks at the desk to mail them back to him. Now he's getting older and you can certainly hear that in his voice over the phone. He explained that he had been there earlier for his grandson's wedding and would like the keys mailed to him on Cape Cod.

The person at the desk said of course they could do this but they would need a credit card number for the probably $3 it would take to ship the package. Seriously? After all the money that was spent at their facility that weekend!!

It is so sad that with such a nice event the story that it going to be on the forefront of everyone's memory is how the Colonial had the audacity to ask an elderly man for his credit card information to return him his spare set of keys. Its truly unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Lauren510
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardner
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
SpringHill Suites Devens Common Center
Holiday Inn Boxborough (I-495 Exit 28)
Super 8 Gardner
Super 8 Gardner
#2 of 2 in Gardner
Rodeway Inn Westminster
Rodeway Inn Westminster
#1 of 1 in Westminster
Great Wolf Lodge New England

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!