“Sad”
Review of Colonial Hotel

Colonial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed twice in conjunction with visits to Cushing Academy. 2012,2013... Rooms were pretty sad. Think old neglected motel. Restaurant was fun, despite mediocre food and shaky service. The clinger was our communication with front desk- we mentioned that we were not sure of 2 or 3 nights... But when we confirmed 2, we were charged for third. I called and wrote but never heard back.

So my husband refused to go back. At graduation, we stayed at the Leominster Doubletree- under reno- and I will spare you the details of bathroom surprise.

So seems like slim pickings in the area.. Or perhaps we never discovered the clean, nice place!

Good luck!!

• Stayed: June 2013
nikki149, Owner at Colonial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

I am sorry that you were not pleased with your stay last year. While I certainly understand your disappointment, I am happy to report that we have just completed a complete renovation of the facility, and we would love to have you stay here again in the future. I can assure you that the rooms are beautiful and you would be pleased. I did not receive anything from you in writing, and I was not aware of the situation with the additional room charge, but if you can give ma a call at your convenience we would be happy to compensate you for t he additional night's stay.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I picked the hotel due to its outward appearance which far exceeds the internal experience. The first evening we were there a wedding held in the hotel and we were awakened several times during the night by people talking loudly in the hallway which went on unitl about 4am. The second evening was quiet and we were able to catch up on some needed sleep only to be awakend at 7am by workmen ripping wallpaper of the wall in the hallway. When we went to breakfast there was a sign saying wait to be seated and no one available to seat us and when the front desk was informed of this they inidicated that they were unsure where the breakfast staff was. The staff was unresponsive to our complaints and the general manager has failed to return our call. The room was not dirty but I can't say it was cleaned well. Avoid this hotel if you would like to be able to sleep and if you are expecting even a minimal level of customer service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank pygmalion14

I did receive your complaint, but when I spoke with the front desk manager she indicated to me that she had already taken care of your concerns. If that was not the case I sincerely apologize. If you would like to discuss t his matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience. I am sure that we can accommodate you another time to make up for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was nice could be great. The staff was very friendly but the rooms need to be update. the door our room was not closing correctly you could see in from the hallway needs to be addressed by maintenance

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I apologize if there was an issue with your room while you were here. I can assure you that every room in the building has been completely renovated within the last three months. I am glad that you were pleased with the staff, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Have stayed with Colonial many times and the rooms are getting worse. Holes in blankets - sheets you can see through - wash clothes - torn in shreds (hard to shower with). Colonial you've done a wonderful job re restaurant update/ spa and weddings but you are taking advantage of those who have to stay there. Put some $$$$ into your rooms - that $ made with your long term guest and banquets should help your rooms not another location! Be nice also if you were a returning guest of many times to get an update and better price especially if stay more than a day or two. Front desk should be a little kinder and friendly too! Due to stay with you again soon and looking forward to the holes and shreds!!!!!!!

Room Tip: there are no good rooms unless you are a bride and groom, If staying for more than a night or two e...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank adele p
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was participating in a conference which was held at the Colonial. It's a classic-looking, grand old place. Desk clerk was down to business and got me headed off to my room with appropriate instructions as to where things were happening. The room was adequate and clean, though the heat was hard to moderate. The bedspreads were thin and a bit old-looking. The space for the conference was well-tended, and excellently organized. The banqueting was excellent, with excellent food prep and very ample buffet helpings. 2 bulbs were burned out in one of the chandeliers, but hey...who was counting? Loved the old wood work, beams, grand piano, staircase, and antique feel, though the bathrooms were nicely updated on the main floor and convention wing. I didn't have to pay for this stay, and don't know what it cost, but I wouldn't want to pay more than $100 for the night...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We checked into the hotel, and my husband signed a paper at check-in that he was told was their "no smoking policy". We went to the room, settled in and and made ourselves a drink. Went down to the lobby to greet friends, with cups in hand, and never gave it a thought. In the lobby we were practically assaulted by a manager who called us out loudly in front of our friends and other patrons, saying there was no alcohol allowed on premises unless it was purchased at the bar, and that she was confiscating our cups! She was confrontational and rude. And never even once asked us what was in the cups, just literally grabbed them from our hands. When my husband asked to see that policy, they loudly demanded our room number, then showed him the "no smoking policy" which ALSO said no alcohol. They NEVER at any time verbally informed us of this rule. We have no problem following rules IF we are aware of them! We were treated like criminals and embarrassed in front of a lobby full of people. If this woman had simply approached us, taken us aside end explained their policy, I would not be writing this review! There is a wrong and a right way to treat your customers, and this was unacceptable behavior not to mention unprofessional. We will NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you read the fine print folks! Or you too can be treated like an irresponsible teenager!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank Anne K
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We planned a visit to the area for grandson's birthday but the Hilton Inn in Leominster where we usually stay was booked. My daughter who lives locally did not approve of any other nearby hotels so we stayed here, about 10 minutes away. Room was very comfortable, handicapped bathroom perfect. The only complaint would be noisy footsteps above and outside our room all night. No breakfast included on weekends. This is not a chain hotel but perfectly suitable for overnight, better than staying at a hotel turned "homeless shelter".

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank onholiday_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardner
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
Rodeway Inn Westminster
Rodeway Inn Westminster
#1 of 1 in Westminster
Great Wolf Lodge New England

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!