“Much better than I expected ...”
Review of Colonial Hotel

Colonial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Having read previous reviews, I made my reservation at this hotel with trepidation. After arriving and checking in, my concern quickly evaporated. The staff was remarkably helpful, friendly and efficient. The room was clean, satisfactorily appointed and everything functioned as expected - which is always welcomed when traveling and arriving at your hotel late and exhausted. Breakfast was excellent - plenty of options, fresh and delicious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good place to stay in this area.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 February 2009

We were hesitant to book at the Colonial Hotel after reading some negative reviews. But we found the Hotel to be in lovely condition, with newly renovated rooms and baths, and comfortable beds.

We enjoyed a Valentines Day special. The dinner was very good and the brunch was good as well. We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the the indoor pool and whirlpool, as there were no pictures of them online.

We have stayed at hotels all around the world, and we enjoyed our stay at the Colonial and would come again, especially to stay in one of their suites.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I just stay at the Colonial Hotel this past weekend with a group of 8 other couples. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. All the overnight rooms have been renovated including the bathrooms! One couple upgraded there standard room to a luxury suite. I only have one word for this room..."WOW" Dinner was amazing the Prime Rib Buffet was to die for. The make your own omelets were delicious at the breakfast buffet! I will never stay any where else in this area.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 October 2007

Stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding. The hotel is average, but in this location there are not many / any other options. The rooms are clean and beds comfortable enough.

The bar closes early (before 1AM). The breakfast buffet is OK, but nothing special. They have a small weightroom with a treadmill and a weight machines. The machine is difficult to figure out and not too functional.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if there were other options. However, if you are in this area, this is probably the best option out there.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank TimIL747
Reviewed 15 April 2007

We stayed at the Colonial for one night recently while at a family gathering. I can honestly say that the front desk staff was one of the highlights of the stay - courteous, efficient and very friendly. The appearance of the hotel in general is fine, even stunning with the grand staircase in the lobby, but the room was disappointing. The king sized bed was squeaky with a very thin mattress and the thinnest, saddest looking pillows I've ever seen!

2 out of the 4 lamps in our room had lightbulbs that were dead - annoying but not critical. The worst issue besides the depressing bed was the sound of water hammer in the pipes anytime the water was turned on in our room or nearby! It was loud and aggravating and did not improve after the water was running for time. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, as were the linens and the common areas that I could see. The shower was poor, with only half of the flow coming out of the showerhead while the rest emptied out of the faucet to collect around my feet, towels were thin and small and in short supply.

With a little attention and some upgrading of the furnishings, this could be a quite nice hotel, and I would stay again, mostly because it was very clean and choices in this area are few, but I would not pay more than $60 a night for this room.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank irishstjean
Reviewed 25 September 2006

My son decided to go to college in nearby Rindge, NH...that being said, finding a hotel close by that was not going to compromise his college tuition was not an easy feat. This is a rural area and most hotels were above Rindge, out of my way or pricy bed & breakfasts.
I have stayed at the Clarion twice; in April when we visited the college and in August when we dropped him off. We are going up again this weekend.
The staff of the Clarion, both behind the desk and in the restaurants and bar are extremely friendly, making your stay pleasurable. Granted, the rooms are not 5 star but in both stays they were clean and quiet which is all I was looking for.
As long as my son continues his higher education in the area, I will be happy to stay with the Clarion staff.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2006

My wedding shower was at the Colonial Hotel this past weekend. The room where the shower was held was a recent addition to the hotel. With natural lighting and lovely hardwood floors, it's a beautiful location for a shower. The credit for the decoration of the room has to go mostly to the bridesmaids and others who planned the shower, but the banquet staff did a very nice job with the tables and the buffet. The food was very good, and the banquet staff was efficient without being too hovery. I will definitely recommend the location to others. We got rave reviews from everyone who came!

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank KateNewton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardner
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
Rodeway Inn Westminster
Rodeway Inn Westminster
#1 of 1 in Westminster
Great Wolf Lodge New England

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!