“A quick trip to history”

Gilbertville Covered Bridge
Grafton, Massachusetts
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A quick trip to history”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

A real-;life covered bridge, just off Route 32. Gilbertville village in Hardwick has a history that included a large mill factory on the water (like so many other 19th century towns in Massachusetts. The factory buildings are still there in partial states of disrepair. The bridge is the real thing. Stop by the local Route 32 bakery...exceptional baked goods.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank grommit

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Covered bridge from the history books...”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

If you're in Gilbertville, MA stop by and take a look at one of the oldest standing AND still in use covered bridges. Not too many of these left... Neat mill stack in the back ground makes for great pictures especially with the rolling waters running through under the bridge. When we stopped by it wasn't sectioned off so we could drive right through! Pretty cool~

Visited June 2013
Bondsville, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Old times”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The covered bridge in Gilbertvill is a out of the history book`s. It is so beautiful and not to many of them left. When I was a little girl my dad would bring my mom and I to drive over it. My mom loved it, because they did not have them in California where she grew up. It`s still there, till this day and when we drive by it, I get the little girl inside me again.

Visited May 2013
Northampton, Massachusetts, United States
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Kiss in the Center for Good Luck”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

More than two decades ago, my husband and I designed our honeymoon around mapping and finding covered bridges across New England. In most, we kissed for luck at the halfway point, and at a few that ssh, we're not tellin', we may, may have carved our initials. Kudos to Gilbertville for its commitment to revitalizing this charming conduit of early New England commerce and travel. It's worth a shady stroll on a summer's day, or better yet, a visit during fall foliage when its barn reds over a tumbling waterway make for perfect photo opps.

Nashua, New Hampshire
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Stop by for five minutes if you are headed to the Quabbin”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

There aren't that many covered bridges left in New England so it is nice to have one near home. These are historical treasures to be enjoyed by all. Unfortunately from a structural standpoint this one seems to have it's problems.

Regardless, if you are out and about headed up Route 32 to Hardwick or the Quabbin, take five minutes out of your busy life and pay a visit. It crosses the Ware River which when I grew up was so polluted it could be smelled from a huge distance. Today the river is very clean, fishing is pretty good and the bridge makes a nice companion!

Visited March 2013