“interesting,unique”

Beauport, the Sleeper-McCann House
Ranked #4 of 57 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Also called the Beauport Sleeper-McCann House, this fantasy mansion of more than 40 rooms is perched on the rocks overlooking Gloucester Harbor.
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I enjoyed seeing a house decorated by an interior designer from the 1920's in various styles from eras before then. Fascinating collections and unusual architecture. (Ignore the moldy, musty smell. It is part of the atmosphere) Excellent docent who led our tour 8/27/13

5  Thank Onion-free
There are newer reviews for Beauport, the Sleeper-McCann House

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Very interesting tour. The guide was excellent. Each room had a story and a theme. The view was beautiful and the grounds gorgeous. It was inexpensive for seniors $12 and worth it. There are rest rooms on the property and a small gift shop.

5  Thank 2bignanas
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I took my girlfriend to see Beauport, Sleeper-McCann House. This was her 1st visit she'd been by the road leading to the entrance many, many times but had never toured the mansion. This mansion, like it's creator is so unique, wimsical and unusual. I just love looking out the windows at the many angles of the roofs as they join one another. As this was my 4th visit, I find the collections eclectic and never tire of the trip back into history it gives me. I think my favorite room is the dining room with it's "wall of windows which drops down into the wall below, to let the sea air in" and the fact that portions of the interior came from so many other mansions and were recycled and intricately fitted into the design of specific rooms. There is always something I missed seeing in my first few visits or some tidbit of information which I'd forgotten that I will never tire of visiting Beauport. The guides as well as the ladies in the gift shop are knowledgeable, friendly and accomodating. The collections of amethyst and amber glass are always striking, as are the vintage wallpapers, and the various "heat stoves" situated in the various rooms each one different. One fact I'd forgotten was the room with the "wood curtins" hung in the window. I will have to take in the "nooks and crannies" tour sometime in the future as I am sure there are even more interesting facts still to be revealed.

It was so sad to learn that a great deal of information/knowledge and provenances about the items and artifacts of this architectural gem have been forever lost when Mr. Henry Davis Sleeper, one of America's first interior designers and his mother passed.

My girlfriend and I both love the place and will definately go back. Please note: Some of the doorways or entrances to the rooms are quite narrow and there are stairs to negotiate to get to other rooms and therefore it is not wheelchair accessible.

5  Thank MS H
Reviewed 27 July 2013

It was so interesting. The grounds are gorgeous. Our guide was very knowledgeable and loved when people asked questions. There are 2 types of tours...your basic 1 hour tour which was good. But also a Nooks and Crannies tour that visits every one of the rooms in the house. I didn't know about that one until we were on the basic one. I would have LOVED the Nooks and Crannies tour. Such an interesting house!

4  Thank lakenney
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Enjoyed Beauport very much. Very different type of house filled with amazing themed rooms and beautiful views. If you're in Gloucester and enjoy great historic homes, Beauport is a place to visit

2  Thank Mitchell K