“Amazing house” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beauport, the Sleeper-McCann House

Beauport, the Sleeper-McCann House
Ranked #5 of 52 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Also called the Beauport Sleeper-McCann House, this fantasy mansion of more than 40 rooms is perched on the rocks overlooking Gloucester Harbor.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing house”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Not a place for young children. A very interesting collection of Art and furniture from around the world.The place overlooks Gloucester Harbor. Free parking. A few miles from food.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Hellojudy

Red Lion, PA
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“A Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Having tours many, many homes throughout the country/world, we were hesitant to take a tour of Beauport, but we're so glad we did! It's a 12,000 sq.ft. home with such character, on beautiful Gloucester harbor. Our group of 8 toured the house in 1 hour and enjoyed all of the interesting historical facts and features of the home. Well worth a stop if you have the time. Continue on down the road and you'll be able to visit Eastern Point Lighthouse.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank RoseDew
Austin, TX
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“interesting,unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I enjoyed seeing a house decorated by an interior designer from the 1920's in various styles from eras before then. Fascinating collections and unusual architecture. (Ignore the moldy, musty smell. It is part of the atmosphere) Excellent docent who led our tour 8/27/13

5 Thank Onion-free
Hingham,Ma
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Historic house”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Very interesting tour. The guide was excellent. Each room had a story and a theme. The view was beautiful and the grounds gorgeous. It was inexpensive for seniors $12 and worth it. There are rest rooms on the property and a small gift shop.

5 Thank 2bignanas
Wakefield, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“This Was a Fascinating Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I took my girlfriend to see Beauport, Sleeper-McCann House. This was her 1st visit she'd been by the road leading to the entrance many, many times but had never toured the mansion. This mansion, like it's creator is so unique, wimsical and unusual. I just love looking out the windows at the many angles of the roofs as they join one another. As this was my 4th visit, I find the collections eclectic and never tire of the trip back into history it gives me. I think my favorite room is the dining room with it's "wall of windows which drops down into the wall below, to let the sea air in" and the fact that portions of the interior came from so many other mansions and were recycled and intricately fitted into the design of specific rooms. There is always something I missed seeing in my first few visits or some tidbit of information which I'd forgotten that I will never tire of visiting Beauport. The guides as well as the ladies in the gift shop are knowledgeable, friendly and accomodating. The collections of amethyst and amber glass are always striking, as are the vintage wallpapers, and the various "heat stoves" situated in the various rooms each one different. One fact I'd forgotten was the room with the "wood curtins" hung in the window. I will have to take in the "nooks and crannies" tour sometime in the future as I am sure there are even more interesting facts still to be revealed.

It was so sad to learn that a great deal of information/knowledge and provenances about the items and artifacts of this architectural gem have been forever lost when Mr. Henry Davis Sleeper, one of America's first interior designers and his mother passed.

My girlfriend and I both love the place and will definately go back. Please note: Some of the doorways or entrances to the rooms are quite narrow and there are stairs to negotiate to get to other rooms and therefore it is not wheelchair accessible.

5 Thank MS H