“Dumping grounds next to rifle range”
Review of Dogtown Common

Ranked #23 of 58 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: This Gloucester trail runs through quarries and woods.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I were very excited to take a hike in the mysterious former village of Dogtown but left feeling very disappointed. The commons are located next to a rifle range and our hike had a constant soundtrack of loud gun shots. After hiking about 45 minutes into the woods we stumbled upon tons of trash: there were literally hundreds of smashed bottles, plastic cups and can strewn everywhere. Clearly there had been a party that no one had bothered to clean up. In all of my years hiking I have never encountered such blatant disregard for the environment. It was actually very sad and disheartening. Dogtown has the potential to be a really lovely spot but sadly seems neglected and desperately needs a clean up crew.

6  Thank EmmaHRM

Reviewed 17 April 2014

First, before you depart you need to do a little research into the history of Dogtown which is easily done online. We took one of the shorter loops as the weather was bit iffy. For the most part it was an easy hike, a few spots were muddy - which since it had rained was not a bit surprising. Note that the trails start at the site of a municiple branch composting area. This was not marked on the map and made it a bit confusing to get started. If you are in the area, this is a nice diversion and a interesting history lesson.

2  Thank Playswdogs
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I was fascinated by Dogtown after reading Anita Diamant's "The Last Days of Dogtown," so when my husband and I decided to visit Gloucester, I knew we had to go there. You can walk the trails by yourself and see the remains of the village, as well as the famous Babson boulders, but I highly recommend taking the Walk the Words tour (http://www.walkthewords.com/). On the day we went, we were the only people who booked, so we basically received a personal tour. The guides are very knowledgeable about the history of Dogtown and the boulders and provide many interesting facts (and a snack!) along the way.

7  Thank circularmedia
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I love going into the wilds of Cape Ann, but it is a bit creepy too. Easy to become lost for a while, though you can find your way out easily enough by listening for traffic or the train (if you don't have a GPS). I wish that it had greater accessibility, because it is a true, rare gem that makes up the heart of Cape Ann.

1  Thank MitziMom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Yoou can ride all the way round Cape Ann in 25-30 minutes, but go into the wooded, rocky center of the Cape by any of the many entrances, and you can be lost in another time in seconds. And lost for a couple of hours if you aren't careful!. The cellar holes of Dogtown, the Whale's Jaw (now broken) and other popular destinations are not the only things worth seeing. Wear strong shoes and take a path less traveled to see rocky waterfalls, deserted lakesides, quiet beech woods with green velvet moss – who knows what you will see? Sure, it's reputed to be haunted, and some believe you may find a bear, or a mountain lion, or a bigfoot ;-)) – but I've only seen squirrels, owls, colorful mushrooms and flocks of purple Lady Slipper orchids in spring....

3  Thank mrszizbag