“It was OKAY”

Topside Grill and Pub
Ranked #4 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Description: Topside Grill offers Seafood, Italian, American Comfort food. Fresh simple good food. We are not trying to impress you with ingredients you've never heard of, we prepare local food the way we hope you'll enjoy it. Harbor views in our dinning room and a fun bar & pub upstairs. Try us, you'll be glad you did!
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My boyfriend and I wanted to try this place since we love Gloucester and it was rated so high on tripadvisor. He had the shrimp scampi and I had a shrimp dish (with tomatoes, feta, and spinach). Lots of little shrimp. Maybe we should have tried the fried food or lobster that everyone was raving about? It was okay - nothing special. The server was good and the staff seemed friendly enough, but I wouldn't go back for that. I would rather pay a bit more for better shrimp and pasta.

2  Thank Paula P

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We've been in Gloucester/Rockport area for a week now and I've eaten a lot of lobster rolls - Topside's was the very best! Service was prompt, but not rushed, food was great and this is the first ace that has offered us coffee and dessert. I've been amazed at how many restaurants here just bring us the bill without checking whether we want anything else?!?

1  Thank tlw1037
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I had dinner here the other evening while visiting Gloucester. We were looking for a place that had good food and was reasonably priced-not a tourist trap. The Topside Grill & Pub turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. I had fish and chips while my wife had the fried oysters. We both found the food to be very good and reasonably priced. The restaurant was very clean inside and the waitstaff was excellent. I would go back again the next time I am in Gloucester. I would highly recommend the Topside Grill & Pub.

1  Thank MarCin2012
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

the food was absolutely amazing and the server was very nice. defiantly would go again. and also the environment was very pleasing

1  Thank Laura A
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We just returned to our Inn after finishing dinner at Topside for the first time and I have to say that we were blown away by everything there. My wife and I each started with one of the specialty cocktails, hers was a rum drink with fresh strawberries and mine was also rum with coconut rum added. Both were delicious, and mine was quite different and refreshing as well. After that we had oysters rockafeller with fresh, tender oysters and equally fresh spinach, and served piping hot.

My main course was baked haddock topped with cheddar cheese, bacon and chives. The toppings were ample but didn't overpower the flavor of the fresh fish. My wife stuck with the clam chowder which was full of clams and potatoes and she was pleased with that also. Let me say here that I've read some other reviews here criticizing topside for small portions but we certainly didn't experience that. We were completely satisfied! There was a great desert tray, and we selected the berry-marscapone cake which was moist and rich with several kinds of delicious berries, and the cheese filling was exceptional!! The whole meal was scrumptious and we left completely happy!

All of this was served by our waitress, Leanne, who was knowledgeable about the menu as well as drink options, and very pleasant and professional. We recommend this restaurant without reservation and plan on returning whenever we visit again.

1  Thank drsgoldie