“Location, location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gloucester
Blue Shutters Beachside Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Location, location”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Historic Inn right off the end of Good Harbor Beach. The owners are always at hand for anything you need. Breakfast is serve yourself which was fine but could use some higher quality choices. Other than that, it was a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I've been coming to Gloucester almost my entire life. The new(ish) owners have made the place 100% better. The location is amazing (at the foot bridge of Good Harbor) and the Blue Shutters feels like a home away from home. For context I am peripatetic traveler who doesn't mind spartan conditions.

The good: great location. clean rooms. helpful/friendly owners.

The needs improvement: the beds are old and soft.
I'm not a large person (5" 9", 165 pounds) and I find myself swallowed by the mattress when I lay down. Get a new bed and this place gets a 5th star!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Michael S
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The purpose of this long weekend getaway was a girl weekend away with the women in my family. It was everything we were expecting and more...well some of us, my aunts are more hotel people not used to the inn feel. Blue shutters is a great place. But if your expecting modern rooms with a large hotel feel, this place is not for you. I have been to many bed and breakfasts, as you will see in my past reviews. This is a great mix. Its not quite a bed and breakfast because the owners don't cook you breakfast. BUT they do give a great continental spread when you first walk in the door. The rooms are quaint. I shared the fireside room, with my mother and cousin. It had a king size bed and a full size pull out. The room was clean and appropriately decorated for a nautical New England feel, but needed a little updating with the bathroom. My Aunts room, which was probably the smallest of all three that we had that weekend, and of all the rooms they rented was also nice, but not the best for two adults. The view was amazing in all the rooms. It was the beach directly across the street. When we got there on Friday afternoon, the haze of the rain was just coming in and the tide was out. There is this very picturesque dock that leads from the road to the beach. The road continues to wind up the hill to more bed and breakfasts that are along the coast. For those of you readers who are runners its a great path to run on. I did a 4.5 mile loop and found great streets while seeing downtown gloucester. The owners were all very nice and accommodating. There are refrigerators in all the rooms so we had the ability to bring our own food and beverages. BUT there is also a stop and shop within walking distance from the inn, and a great little coffee shop and breakfast place. I guess the reason why I didn't give this place five stars was that it was outdated. They need to update the bathrooms and the decor. If I could give 4.5 stars I would. I also reviewed restaurants that were around the area as well. When I return to Gloucester I will definitely be staying there. They host many events at the inn, I think in September they are having a medium, and in the slow months they have a food and wine festival. Overall Gloucester is a very active town so it doesn't surprise me that the inn follows suite!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Biogeeklovesfood
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Blue Shutters sits directly across from Good Harbor Beach, one of the top ten beaches in the world. Our host Tony was committed to making sure my wife and our two kids were completely satisfied. An example: I needed to type and print a document unexpectedly and Tony offered me the use of his office. He also suggested several dining options each night and never steered us wrong! We stayed in Fireside, a first floor room with a king bed and a large stone fireplace. It also has a large private full bathroom. The maid service was great. Tony also provided a wonderful continental breakfast with homemade blueberry cake one morning and lemon cake the next! We could not have asked for anything more, especially being just steps across the foot bridge to the spectacular beach. We plan to return every year for the great lodging and the beautiful beach experience.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Fivekiddad
Ridgewood
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My husband, our two daughter 3 and 6 years old and I stayed at the Lookout room at Blue Shutters Inn for 5 nights starting on Fourth of July. This B&B is a lovely place with wonderful owners/managers. The rooms are clean, furniture is on the seasoned side, but not shabby. Sheets and towels seem new. There are many different room options, from small rooms to 1 bedroom studios with full kitchen. We stayed in the 3rd floor room which had a Queen size bed and two twin beds. One of those twins could slide under the other.. so when we put it away there was a lot more room. There were two small tables, a fridge and a microwave. The shower (no tub) was tiny, but we made it work. My husband is very tall and he was very concerned about the ceilings, but again, we were pleasantly suprised. Other rooms were a lot nicer (and pricier).

Breakfast is included, although it was not the healthiest... there was some yogurt, boiled eggs and various pastries, of the Stop and Shop variety. There was also coffee, tea, bread w creamcheese, nutella, etc. There was occasional fruit, sometimes watermelon, sometimes bananas.

We loved the service, the owners who are also managing the hotel day to day were always very warm and accomodating. They have a wonderful 1st floor living room where people hung out sometimes during the hottest times. There was a small library and some children's books.

The best part about the hotel is the location. It is right across from the very popular beach. You just have to walk across the street.. From other locations you have to park in the parking lot (at least $15 if you have a discount coupon from your hotel) and then take a long walk to the beach.

This was our second Gloucester trip and we will surely be coming back again. (Make sure to check out Art Colony, Maritime museum with touch tanks for the kids, Beauport and Hammond castle). Watch out for mosquitoes! They were brutal after 7pm.

Room Tip: Lookout is the largest of the cheapest rooms :) The B&B has three 1 bedroom apartments with ki...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Anastasia B
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My wife and I just spent the weekend at Blue Shutters -- it was such a positive experience, it's hard to explain. The best I can explain is that it was like being at home with your favorite friends.

Ed and Tony were friendly, informative and made you feel like you were home from the start. Ed greeted us with 'welcome home'.

It is clean and well maintained and the views were incredible.

We'll be back ... more than once .. haven't been so relaxed in years ...

Bob and Cathy

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oelfkedad
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2013

A great property is one that sticks by you through thick and thin. I have been blessed to have found the Blues Shutters Beach House as my official home away from home when I am in Gloucester for business. In the dead of winter, when many places are boarded up or open selective hours, Ed, the hospitable innkeeper, has the fire going, light on and amenities I long for after a day at work. He has made a great effort to get to know me and even packs me a breakfast to take to work if I am in a rush. While the inn is the ideal place to be in the summer, (Location, Location, Location…) it is the quite evenings and coffee and conversation mornings in the comfortable living room I will take away with me. Well worth the trip!

Room Tip: Splurge on the ocean views. Well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank leighcarmen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
#2 of 7 in Gloucester
Harborview Inn
Harborview Inn
#2 of 17 in Gloucester

Been to Blue Shutters Beachside Inn? Share your experiences!