“Great location; lovely innkeepers; comfortable rooms with great views”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gloucester
Blue Shutters Beachside Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location; lovely innkeepers; comfortable rooms with great views”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We loved our stay at Blue Shutters Beachside Inn. The innkeepers were gracious, hospitable, accommodating and helpful. Our room was clean, nicely decorated and had great views of ocean and light houses. The location is fantastic - across the street and over a footbridge to the beautiful Good Harbor Beach. There are picnic tables and a fire pit at the inn which are perfect for relaxing and hanging out at the end of the day. We had such a good time.

Room Tip: Fireside room is a big room on the first floor with a private bathroom, big windows and wonderful vi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We spent a relaxing week at the Blue Shutters Beachside Inn in Gloucester in early July. This is a lovely inn steps away from Good Harbor Beach. The rooms are clean and charming.....a lovely spread of pastries, granola and other goodies awaited us each morning (and ready early, too) with hot coffee and tea to get your day started! Our hosts made everything perfect and we will certainly return to the Blue Shutters! We hated to leave!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Rochester, NH
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We recently had the pleasure of staying here. We were greeted upon arrival by one of the innkeepers and shown to our room. We stayed in the Captain's Quarters. Queen size bed and private bath. That evening after dinner, we returned to the inn to fine a fire in the fire pit. Other guests were sitting around the fire and made us feel very welcome. The second night when we returned from dinner, we sat in the dining room talking to 2 of the innkeepers for quite a while. The inn was very clean and they had a continental breakfast both morning. I had the opportunity to check out one of the other rooms as well. We will definitely be returning and would highly recommend this inn to anyone that wants a quiet get-away on the beach.

Room Tip: all rooms had a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I just got back from a 4 night trip here and loved my stay. The two major draws to Blue Shutters are the location and the comfort of the inn. The location is kind of insane, it's a very short walk to the "other end" of Good Harbor Beach by a footbridge and an estuary that kids love to play in. Plus, many of the rooms have ocean views. The inn is clean and really well equipped with things that most B and B's forget about/don't care about: free wifi, TV, AC, and a microwave and small fridge for each room. Honestly the fridge/microwave and AC really made my trip significantly more enjoyable. And they have plenty of beach gear for you to borrow (chairs, boogie boards, nets, sand toys.)

I felt that the owners were just the right amount of friendly and helpful and knew when to leave you alone (unlike what another reviewer said.) The only downside was that they didn't really give us any warning or notice about when work was being done on the driveway or when they were having an outdoor fire. I suggest they put that on their whiteboard that has the tide times and emergency phone numbers.

The breakfast was nothing super exciting, but perfectly adequate and better than I expected for "continental breakfast." They had hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, bread and english muffins to toast, mini muffins and breakfast cakes that looked like they were from BJ's or Market Basket, instant oatmeal, decent coffee (I was surprised), tea, and jam/butter/milk/cream.

I really loved my ocean view room, so I suggest you try to book one too. Just book early. I booked in March and had plenty of rooms to choose from. And if you don't mind sleeping in a twin bed, you can get away with paying one of the lowest rates and still get a private bathroom and ocean view (Twin Lights, $145, two twin beds) Based on the reviews I thought being on the second floor would be super noisy but I didn't even use the earplugs I brought. I heard a few floor creaks above me, but that's it.

As of 2014, the in season (summer/fall) rates are $135-215 for a room and $250-300 for an apartment. Winter rates are much lower, but unless you were visiting family or in town for a funeral it beats me why you would want to stay in Gloucester in the winter.

Room Tip: You pay more for rooms with a "kitchenette" it's just a coffee maker plus what every o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Henderson
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The innkeepers were charming and so accommodating. From the room's decor to to lovely view of sunrise every day -- from our room or the living room -- this was an enchanting place to stay on the coast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 May 2014

What a wonderful spot, right across from the beach. Room was comfortable and had everything you would need. Hosts made you feel like family and were attentive and helpful. Inn is funky chic and just what you would want for a beachside B&B; comfortable, welcoming and quiet. Wish I could have stayed longer. I was there for work and they had a small business center which had everything I needed. Made being away from home feel like a vacation!

Room Tip: I loved my room where I could see the sunrise!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 May 2014

All the rooms in Blue Shutters face Good Harbor Beach. The sunrises are the best we've ever seen! We had 3 glorious warm sunny days in "off-season" early May. Our room was very comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was lovely: hard boiled eggs, granola, cinnamon toast, poppy seed cake - certainly much better than poorly prepared omelets we've had elsewhere! Ed, Ann Marie, Tony and Patty treated us like old friends! The other guests were congenial and interesting to chat with. We found many places to hike on Cape Ann - Plum Island, Ravenswood (Trustees property in Magnolia), the light house at the end of the private road, Halibut Point (look for the Atlantic Path that goes along the shore amongst a blueberry heath). And, of course, Good Harbor Beach and the walk to the island at low tide (and run back as the tide comes in). The views are among the best on the Atlantic. WE WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: If you don't like amazing sunrises, ask if there is a room on the other side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel
#3 of 7 in Gloucester
Harborview Inn
Harborview Inn
#2 of 17 in Gloucester

Been to Blue Shutters Beachside Inn? Share your experiences!