“4-star location ON the beach; dated, tattered furniture; clean; zero amenities”
Review of Cape Ann Motor Inn

Cape Ann Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I kept telling friends, 20 feet from my sliding door is a sandy beach, and I hear the ocean waves all day. A spectacular view, cloudy or sunny, of Twin Lights. If you are a beach bum, this is your spot. I ran a finger over the bathroom window sill and it was clean. I wish they would replace the wall-to-wall, it's really old, I wouldn't go barefoot in the room, as the carpeting was so matted and stained, I wasn't sure it had been shampooed in years. It's hard to rate this place, because if you want beach - beach - beach, you can't get a better location. But otherwise, I'm not sure I'd go back. There was some rocking'-and-rollin' going on in the next room, if you know what I mean, and their bed was squeaking and I could hear them. Ugh. Weak coffee and a few grocery-store pastries for breakfast. The in-room fridge was really loud, on-and-off. If you want to sit on the deck, you are five feet from the people in the next room, so there is really no privacy. Shower curtain and mat look like they are from an industrial institution, a thick opaque beige. Desk staff very nice and responsive to any request. So, for $115 per night, it's all about the beach.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner suite, like #9. No one walks past if you are on the end with the closed porch.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ellengloucester

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here 14 may - 17may/ beautiful beach and had it almost to ourselves except for some dog walkers (always a plus for any trip)/ room was somewhat dated but had all that we needed/ 2 things the kitchenette was missing were a toaster and a coffee pot/ fortunately I had called ahead to find out what kind of coffee pot was in the room so we just brought our own(was glad of that because the office with the complimentary coffee was not staffed during night hours) beds were a bit small and yes could use updating/ very convenient to local points of interest- went to Salem and on a whale watch/ hotel staff were quite helpful with any questions/ housekeeping staff seemed to do a fine job however when checking under the beds before leaving we did find empty beer can and water bottle/ shower was one of the best I've found in a hotel great pressure and plenty of hot water/. Biggest drawback I could tell would be no air conditioning/ I would not take a chance in the very hot months staying in a hotel without air/ overall though for the off season this place was great and would definitely book again just not in high summe

Room Tip: No elevator. /pick first floor and not close to the stairs due to the "shared deck"
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We first stayed at the Cape Ann in April of 2013 (Boston Marathon weekend) and were quite happy with our stay then, and we again found ourselves with the opportunity to vist the area again this year again in May. When we were then in 13 there was little to no beach surrounding the bay, but we were shocked to come back this year to find a wide beach had rebuilt itself all the way from the hotel all the way around. The hotel quality was consistent from before at a very good with pleasant service and clean comfortable rooms. And as is par for our traveling course of late, even though the hotel is non-smoking, people in the next room decided the law doesn't apply to them and when we complained to the owner he actually tracked them down and advised them they should consider not smoking. So again, we were able to enjoy the wonderful view and the sounds of the ocean. It's a must visit any time we are in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tubaman77-CTC
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the world and this is the best one I have ever spent time in. The rooms while spartan are clean and comfortable. If you are looking for a place with a room deck overlooking the ocean this is the place you want to be. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The beach is beautiful. We are already planning our next trip here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The inn is not new or modern but it makes no difference. It is clean and the staff is wonderful. The staff is pleasant, always so helpful. It is dog friendly and right on the Ocean. My husband and I love it so. You have to go down a few steps and the ocean is there. There are screened in sliding doors so you can enjoy the smell and the sound of the ocean from your room. We have been there a half dozen times and this year we went in April. Again, we have nothing bad to say. We loved our stay and look forward to next year. Thank you to the owner and wonderful staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I've been going to this nice Inn for 15 years and find it just great! People are friendly, room is clean, best of all from your room there is an ocean inlet view! The lobby is always open and they have coffee, etc to choose. The staff is helpful to suggest places to eat. The parrot there is even friendly. You can take long terrific walks right on the beach sand. There are beach homes to see all along your walk. If it gets busy it could be noisy and busy on the rear decks. I've only gone in the wintertime and do love it. It it easy to call and make a reservation.

Room Tip: all rooms have a wonderful view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

When we booked our room we were a little nervous after reading some of the reviews, however, we fell in love! the view from our room alone would make me go back! The staff was very pleasant and whenever we asked for a place to go for dinner they pointed us in the right direction for a great meal! We stayed in the honeymoon suite and loved it! the jacuzzi tub water stayed steaming hot every time we used even though we didn't use it the kitchen was a lot bigger than I expected and the Champagne that was put in our fridge every night was a very nice added touch! It was very relaxing to sit on the couch with the fireplace on and just watching the water out the window Yes it could use a little updating but I liked it, it had a "homey" feel to it. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was the mattress was very uncomfortable

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
#1 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Cape Ann Motor Inn? Share your experiences!