“Old and Tired”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
rhode island
“Old and Tired”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at the Captain's Lodge Motel for one night and found it to be clean but very old and worn. There was an overpowering smell of room freshener and disinfectant. The AC worked just fine which was a key factor in our staying there because it was 100 degrees that day in Gloucester. The owner was very nice to us and reduced the price of the room because it was a smoking room. The TV was quite old with no remote control and the room had not been updated in 20 or more years. We slept soundly but were relieved to be on our way the next morning. Perhaps the nonsmoking rooms are more appealing but we were creeped out by our accomodations.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cattlegirl96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I have been coming to this motel for over ten years. Years ago it started to get run down but, since the current owners took over they are doing an excellent job fixing the place up. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. The property is well maintained and if there is anything wrong with your room someone is there within minutes to evaluate the problem. One of the things I like about this motel is all of the rooms are at ground level so you don't have the hassle of going up and down stairs. Each room has two doors; one goes to the parking lot and the other goes to the Tennis Court/ Pool Area. The pool is very inviting because it is clean and crystal clear.
Another great thing about this motel is its location, you're only a few miles from Rockport if you want to go sightseeing and your close to the Yankee Fleet to go deep sea fishing. There is a supermarket, liquor store, and a Dunkin Donuts just down the street.
In addition, above all are the reasonable rates they charge. I will be back to this motel time and time again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank R-Augustine33838
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel is spacious, very clean grounds and pool. The hotel staff is very accomodating also. This will be the third summer that I am staying there with my family.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank cassie7188
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My family stayed here in June and we were very pleased with our stay. our room was very large with high ceilings and doors on both sides that we could open and enjoy the breeze. The pool was large and very clean. I don't know why people left such terrible reviews but I feel they were unfounded. The staff was all very nice.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank 54006Lovetotravel
New York, NY
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Over the years I have stayed at the Captains Lodge many times, when they had different owners. The last few years the new owners have driven this once lovely place into the ground. The rooms are dirty, musty smelling and the TVs and showers don't always work well, if at all. The service is bad and there is only one person on the premises to do anything, i.e, bring towels, fix things, clean rooms, etc. They don't even make the beds unless you specifically ask them to. I didn't know this should have been a "special request" when I checked in. The entire place is in bad disrepair and should be closed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank BlondiH
captainslodge, Manager at The Captain's Lodge, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Property is under New Mangement since September 2010.

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Me and my husband were looking for place to stay while driving home and this place was very accomodating and value for money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Bristol, Maine
Reviewed 22 April 2010

My boyfriend and I had stayed at The Captain's Lodge a few years ago. He had lived in Glouccester for quite some time before moving to Maine. Knowing the area, it used to be an older motel, moderately priced-- nothing sepcial, but ok for a nite or 2. To our surprise, when we got there, it had been bought out. This mmotel was THE WORST place I have ever stayed in my entire life--NO EXAGGERATING!! Gross was a mild word for it.--used soap in the shower, hair by the sink and shower, flicked on the light and it looked like someone had spit on the walls, tv had 4 or 5 fuzzy stations, mold on the celing just to name a few. At the time we were heading into Boston to see a Celtics game and were running late and didn't have time to book somewhere else, so we sucked it up and stayed. Neither of us even wanted to get into bed wondering if the sheets had even been changed. The next morning we got up and I was so grossed out that I wore my sandals in the shower while showering just in case of what was in the tub. DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT ever stay here!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Willette
Property is under New Mangement since September 2010.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
#3 of 7 in Gloucester
Sea Lion Motel
Sea Lion Motel
#5 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to The Captain's Lodge? Share your experiences!