“Awful. Not at all worth the money.” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Captain's Lodge
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Awful. Not at all worth the money.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I did not expect this motel to be paradise, but I was still extremely disappointed with my stay. The room smelled very old and musty, sheets and blankets had visible stains, and everything was completely outdated. The woman at the front desk was helpful, but when I accidentally lost my room key the night of my stay and noone was in the office, I was directed by a sign giving me a room number to knock on so that someone could let me in. When the door opened, I was met by a very rude man smoking a cigarette in my face, complaining that he did not get "paid enough to do this s**t" and he unhappily opened my door for me. Gloucester is a beautiful town, enjoy it and stay anywhere other than this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank gabber29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Suffern, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

First let me start out by saying that if you are a princess, keep looking. But Dad, age 90, and I found it fine. We've stayed at better and we certainly have stayed at worst! The price was more than fair and the owner was visible during our whole stay doing what needed to be done to improve this older motel. We needed a lightbulb and an extra towel and we were served immediately. The beds were very comfortable, the water was plenty hot, the environment was quiet. The TV wasn't very good with very few channels and the weather channel had poor reception. There was a large piece of property with a tennis court and clean inviting pool but we did not use them. We were in a perfect location (just a few miles from Rockport) to continue our trip along the coast of Cape Ann. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
rhode island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at the Captain's Lodge Motel for one night and found it to be clean but very old and worn. There was an overpowering smell of room freshener and disinfectant. The AC worked just fine which was a key factor in our staying there because it was 100 degrees that day in Gloucester. The owner was very nice to us and reduced the price of the room because it was a smoking room. The TV was quite old with no remote control and the room had not been updated in 20 or more years. We slept soundly but were relieved to be on our way the next morning. Perhaps the nonsmoking rooms are more appealing but we were creeped out by our accomodations.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank cattlegirl96

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I have been coming to this motel for over ten years. Years ago it started to get run down but, since the current owners took over they are doing an excellent job fixing the place up. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. The property is well maintained and if there is anything wrong with your room someone is there within minutes to evaluate the problem. One of the things I like about this motel is all of the rooms are at ground level so you don't have the hassle of going up and down stairs. Each room has two doors; one goes to the parking lot and the other goes to the Tennis Court/ Pool Area. The pool is very inviting because it is clean and crystal clear.
Another great thing about this motel is its location, you're only a few miles from Rockport if you want to go sightseeing and your close to the Yankee Fleet to go deep sea fishing. There is a supermarket, liquor store, and a Dunkin Donuts just down the street.
In addition, above all are the reasonable rates they charge. I will be back to this motel time and time again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank R-Augustine33838
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel is spacious, very clean grounds and pool. The hotel staff is very accomodating also. This will be the third summer that I am staying there with my family.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cassie7188
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

My family stayed here in June and we were very pleased with our stay. our room was very large with high ceilings and doors on both sides that we could open and enjoy the breeze. The pool was large and very clean. I don't know why people left such terrible reviews but I feel they were unfounded. The staff was all very nice.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank 54006Lovetotravel
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

Over the years I have stayed at the Captains Lodge many times, when they had different owners. The last few years the new owners have driven this once lovely place into the ground. The rooms are dirty, musty smelling and the TVs and showers don't always work well, if at all. The service is bad and there is only one person on the premises to do anything, i.e, bring towels, fix things, clean rooms, etc. They don't even make the beds unless you specifically ask them to. I didn't know this should have been a "special request" when I checked in. The entire place is in bad disrepair and should be closed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
3 Thank BlondiH
captainslodge, Manager at The Captain's Lodge, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Property is under New Mangement since September 2010.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
#4 of 7 in Gloucester
Vista Motel
Vista Motel
#2 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to The Captain's Lodge? Share your experiences!