“We Loved It & Will Be Back” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Captain's Lodge
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Rockport, Massachusetts
“We Loved It & Will Be Back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

My husband, our Basset Hound & I stayed at Captain's Lodge July & August and liked the whole stay there. We stayed there last year for the same amount of time and all of the staff was great. We really don't like to be catered to and prefer being alone. We had an effeciency with fridge, stove and microwave & everything worked properly. I have no complaints at all. The pool is nice and clean and we could open the front & back doors to get a good breeze.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheryl D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Excellent location. Quiet clean rooms. Great service. Will stay here again next year on my vacation

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Forest Hills, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Friends booked this motel for a group whale watching, kayaking weekend. I had read the reviews prior to our stay, thanks to tripadvisor, I was prepared and not surprised.
First the positive: Warm, clean, welcoming pool in a sunny location. Pet friendly. Two minute drive to town. Can walk to Dunkin Donuts, grocery store. Air-conditioner worked great. Rooms have a front door and a back door for cross ventilation that really came in handy for the negative issues: Very musty rooms. Room smelled of mold and tobacco. If you are a smoker, it may be worth requesting a non-smoking room and smoke outside. We do not smoke and there were no non-smoking rooms available. We had all the sheets, blankets and comforter changed, aired out the room and it helped a little. The motel kept running out of towels and no towels are provided pool side. One morning a had to use my hand towel to dry off. Our friends room was not cleaned for two days and they were not given any clean towels. This occurred the second day even after we reported this to the owner the first day the room was not cleaned. The mattress was old and slanted to the middle. The entire motel needs an overhaul, new everything is needed.
Amenities are basic. TV, air-conditioner, bed. No blow drier, no iron, no closet or hooks to hang clothing. Some rooms had frig. and microwave but friend said the microwave did not work.The on-site coffee shop was closed and no tea or coffee is offered by the front desk. Sadly I cannot recommend this motel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Gershwin12

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Reading Pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We were going fishing in the area and a few of us guys needed a place to flop the night before. We didn't need a fancy place as it wasn't necessary but I'd never take a family or my wife there for a vacation. We got 2 rooms and both were musty and smelled we opend up the few windows they had started the AC and went out to eat. Knowing what we were coming back to we each had an extra drink to numb the senses some. The motel was dated and needed a complete redo in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank MTHammer1
Attleboro, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I did not expect this motel to be paradise, but I was still extremely disappointed with my stay. The room smelled very old and musty, sheets and blankets had visible stains, and everything was completely outdated. The woman at the front desk was helpful, but when I accidentally lost my room key the night of my stay and noone was in the office, I was directed by a sign giving me a room number to knock on so that someone could let me in. When the door opened, I was met by a very rude man smoking a cigarette in my face, complaining that he did not get "paid enough to do this s**t" and he unhappily opened my door for me. Gloucester is a beautiful town, enjoy it and stay anywhere other than this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank gabber29
Suffern, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

First let me start out by saying that if you are a princess, keep looking. But Dad, age 90, and I found it fine. We've stayed at better and we certainly have stayed at worst! The price was more than fair and the owner was visible during our whole stay doing what needed to be done to improve this older motel. We needed a lightbulb and an extra towel and we were served immediately. The beds were very comfortable, the water was plenty hot, the environment was quiet. The TV wasn't very good with very few channels and the weather channel had poor reception. There was a large piece of property with a tennis court and clean inviting pool but we did not use them. We were in a perfect location (just a few miles from Rockport) to continue our trip along the coast of Cape Ann. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
rhode island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at the Captain's Lodge Motel for one night and found it to be clean but very old and worn. There was an overpowering smell of room freshener and disinfectant. The AC worked just fine which was a key factor in our staying there because it was 100 degrees that day in Gloucester. The owner was very nice to us and reduced the price of the room because it was a smoking room. The TV was quite old with no remote control and the room had not been updated in 20 or more years. We slept soundly but were relieved to be on our way the next morning. Perhaps the nonsmoking rooms are more appealing but we were creeped out by our accomodations.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank cattlegirl96
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
#2 of 7 in Gloucester
Harborview Inn
Harborview Inn
#2 of 17 in Gloucester

Been to The Captain's Lodge? Share your experiences!