“Outstanding Fish & Chips!”
Review of Seaport Grille

Seaport Grille
Ranked #3 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2013

What an absolute delight! The restaurant is not located right on the busy street, but away more near the water. We had to stop and ask for directions even though we had driven right by it. Sure glad we did. Having seen the size of the fish & chips portion at other tables, my wife and opted to split one and it was plenty of food. Several pieces of lightly breaded, not greasy, light and flaky haddock for only $14. There was also a huge mound of tasty french fries and coleslaw. This was one of the very best fish & chips I have ever eaten. Our server was attentive and gave us some driving tips for us to enjoy the surrounding areas. Too bad this place is 1,000 miles from home or we would be here more often.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My family and I visit Gloucester, MA once or twice a year and have always eaten at the Seaport Grille; their food and service are usually very good. BUT, after choosing once again to dine there a few weeks ago, my sister and I had the worst experience of our 10-day trip through New England. The restaurant was crowded but it always has been when we were there and in the past it hasn't been a problem. However, we were taken to a table just outside the kitchen door and the "prep" area and it was downhill from there. It was so unbelievably loud and the waitstaff was constantly brushing by our table, and our view the entire time was of the kitchen area, with the door constantly opening and closing. At one point even, one of the waiters literally ran by our table, as all of them seemed to be on some kind of timetable for service. A man was brought in a few minutes later (he was alone) and was taken to a nice booth away from the "maddening crowd of servers" and away from the walkway or view of the kitchen. Coincidence? Maybe. Our waitress was okay but after taking our order, didn't even stop to ask us if everything was okay, and not once were we offered additional drinks or even if we wanted our water glasses refilled. Neither one of us ate much of our dinner because of the uproar around us..

In hindsight, we should have refused to continue sitting at that particular table (they shouldn't even have a table setup there), and certainly should have left if not accommodated, but we have always loved eating at the Seaport and didn't want to waste the evening or cause a scene. Prompt service is certainly appreciated but not at the expense of diners trying to enjoy a good meal. Maybe we should have ordered a second glass of wine but we never got a chance to ask for it! Beware - good food isn't everything when dining out.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I were in Gloucester for 4 days.....not enough time to take all the great restaurants in; however, on our way to dinner one evening we decided to stop in at Seaport Grille as we had time to spare. The restaurant is lovely and vibrant (and it was a Tuesday night). We sat at the large bar and ordered a wine each and I also had a couple of oysters @ $2.50/pce. The bartender and waitress that served us were very friendly....I now wish we had stayed at Seaport Grille for dinner rather than to where we did have reservations. The atmosphere was lovely, overlooking the harbour and my oysters were presented beautifully on ice and the flavour wash so fresh. We did go back to The Seaport the next day for lunch and decided to order light fare as we were going out to dinner with friends that evening SO, I ordered a cup of New England Clam Chowder and the appetizer Shrimp Cocktail ($11.00 for the Shrimp). OMG, the size of these 5 or 6 (not sure) were HUGE HUGE.....and the cocktail sauce absolutely wonderful. I also had a glass of white wine (and the portion was a good size as well).......Unfortunately.....I was stuffed when we walked out of there and was praying that I would have room for dinner later that day. If you are in Gloucester, do stop in at Seaport Grille....you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Yum!! My husband had the twin stuffed lobster and I had the lobster pie, fabulous food. Great service and atmosphere well worth a visit.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Seaport Grille is an excellent freshly caught fish restaurant located in Rowe Square. The large table seated restaurant with its selection of booths, high and low tables additionally has an open rear dining area overlooking the waterfront which can be closed on cooler evenings. Landmarks featured in the film 'The Perfect Storm' may be seen across from the harbour front deck together with the expensive moored boats. The cuisine particularly the fish dishes are exceptional both in quality and quantity and the integral bar with bar stools offers a good range of drinks including many fine ales. Excellent dining with a good atmosphere, friendly attentive servers, and reasonable prices for both lunch or dinner.