“Quiet, Clean and Friendly”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gloucester
The Colonial Inn Gloucester
Ranked #6 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Quiet, Clean and Friendly”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have been traveling to Gloucester, MA for the past 13 years and have stayed at many of the hotels and inns in the area. I stayed at the Colonial Inn for the first time during my most recent trip in July. I loved the big old colonial house. I found the innkeeper to be friendly and helpful. It was SO quiet and peaceful. I had a room on the second floor and could sleep with my windows open and enjoy the fresh night air which is something I rarely get to do at my home in the south. My room was clean and comfortable and the housekeeper made sure to tidy up every day. Having spent a number of years traveling with my job and staying at the well known hotel chains, I now look for places like this instead. I much prefer the charm, relaxed homelike atmosphere and personable innkeepers of places like the Colonial Inn whenever I can find them. I will defintely stay at the Colonial Inn again on a future trip to Gloucester.

Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Brenda M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This was meant to be a quick overnight stopover on our drive from New York to Acadia. We got there pretty late – around 10pm – and left fairly early next morning. So we were there for a short 12 hours or so but had a nice experience overall.
The host is really friendly (we met him the next morning) and there were other guests checked in for the whole Labor Day weekend. Breakfast was a tad disappointing – guess we were expecting a bigger spread - but not a deal breaker.
Another drawback (specific to our room, I think) – was there was no door to the restroom, which looked out into a hallway leading to the room door – so if one person is using the toilet, you are either locked in the bedroom, or locked out of the room until the other person finishes their business. Strange but manageable.
And, because we got in so late, we ended up driving a lot around town looking for a restaurant which had its kitchen open – so we know there are PLENTY of bars and restaurants around town. We managed to find a really nice place – The Franklin Cafe – with good food and great wine.
Cape Ann itself is gorgeous and would recommend it as a stopover for anyone driving north. It’s a little bit of a detour from I-95 but the effort is worth it.

Room Tip: Even if you're there for a rest stop, make sure you drive around the bay. The views of the water...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rajugyde
Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We only stayed for one night as we were passing thru Gloucester. The B&B is very clean and relaxing. The room was a great size and the breakfast was great. We will return for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cg11_11
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2010

The Colonial Inn has rooms with a private bath and also rooms with a bath just outside your door for the private use of that sole room. It is on the main road, but remains quiet, especially if you take a room that faces that back courtyard.
Mike was very gracious and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very basic - coffee, tea, toast, sweet breads. The inn is not fancy, but it's clean and the location is great, walking distance to Rocky Neck.
Would recommend!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Blues21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Harborview Inn
Harborview Inn
#2 of 17 in Gloucester

Been to The Colonial Inn Gloucester? Share your experiences!