“Bob & Cathy”

Ryan & Wood Distilleries
Ranked #13 of 61 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Come visit and tour our craft distillery, the first legal distillery on the North Shore since Prohibition! See firsthand how fine hand crafted spirits are made in our beautiful copper pot Still. Learn how we ferment, distill, barrel age and bottle our Beauport Vodka, Knockabout Gin, Folly Cove Rum and Ryan & Wood family of Whiskies. All done on site. The tour, usually guided by Kathy or Bob Ryan, is free and lasts about an hour. Perfect for a quick stop before lunch. We are a hidden gem, just minutes from other Gloucester attractions. Scheduled Tours: Monday,Wednesday,Friday and Saturday, 10:00am and 1:00pm. Call for Private/Group Tours. Check our website for more information.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We did the tour several years ago, WOW we we impressed. Cathy was fantastic and we were hooked.

Bob is has such a deep understanding of his business, I could talk with him all day.

Now every year as we are leaving Cape Ann, we replenish our liquor cabinet with their fine products. My favorite is the Folly Cove Rum.

Don't miss this Distillery it is a treat in many ways.

Bruce R Browne

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Despite being from the North Shore of Boston, never knew about this hidden gem! Great story & tour, a fun time was had by all!

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Visited Ryan & Wood today with my wife and kids (over 21). We all really enjoyed the experience - from learning about the distilling process and sampling the four products made at R&W, to discussions about the local history. The tour was about an hour - and was one of the highlights of our visit. There was zero sales pitch (which is not always the case when visiting wine tastings). We left with a bottle whiskey and a bottle of rum - and look forward to enjoying it when we get home. I would strongly recommend this to anyone visiting the area.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Ryan and Woods Distillery
A wet Saturday in May, no beach or boat day so we decided to go to visit Ryan and Woods in Gloucester. We live in town but did not have a chance to go before. It’s a must see.
Cathy gave us a very informative tour and I learned a lot in the making of Vodka Gin Rye. Their small operation is pristine and at the end of the tour you are invited to taste their products. For me the winner is their Knockabout gin. One of the finest I ever had.
The prices are on the expensive side ($36 for a 750ml bottle of Rye)
I would recommend everybody who come to Gloucester or live in the town to give them a visit.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I just took a tour here yesterday. It was a great way to spend a (free!) hour in Gloucester (especially if its cold/rainy). They make four different type of alcohol and will give you a small tasting of each at the end. My favorite was the gin. Kathy was leading the tour and she knew everything there is to know about every step in the process for each. She talked about state's laws and history of alcohol (and how it impacted the way things are done today). She was also really nice and friendly. I even emailed her a few times before and she was very prompt in getting back to me. I liked that she could describe the steps of distilling with a lot of detail. It was clear she knew her stuff. At the end of the tour you can purchase the different types of alcohol which is a great local gift to give to others. I had a really fun time.