“Nice comfortable inn with great staff!”

The Castle Manor Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Australia
“Nice comfortable inn with great staff!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We arrived late and very tired. The online booking which we had made a few hours earlier hadn't come through, and we had to call the owner for assistance. He came over immediately and found us a nice suitable room, even though it was late. The room was lovely, and the breakfast wonderful (fresh fruit and muffins, cereal, eggs, bagels, etc.). The main house is very beautiful. The owners and staff, were friendly, efficient, and excellent to deal with. We decided to stay an extra night because we enjoyed it so much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aussiesaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Valatie, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is our second review of The Castle Manor Inn...., So let me wrap this up for all of you "Nay Sayer's". The main house is warm, romantic and well appointed. The motor lodge wings are exactly that. Try getting a room in Manhattan or Boston for around $100.00...,Oh yeah....,Not happening!,
The Inn is walking distance to the Boulevard. The grounds are lovely and the views of the causeway are nice. If you are looking for Ocean View or Ocean Front, go elsewhere.

We just hosted a 95 person wedding at The Castle Manor Inn and had the time of our lives.
Laura & Don (The Owners) were more than helpful...,They are downright personable, friendly and perhaps some of the hardest working people we have ever met. I am proud to say that we would genuinely call them friends at this point.
The wedding went off without a hitch. Perfectly orchestrated by Laura and her amazing staff. From executive chef to cleaning staff, everyone was so nice, friendly and happy to be working there. That in itself, made our visit all that much more worth it.
Our daughter's wedding was a two (2) event. (Intimate Beach Wedding Friday - Reception Saturday) and every room was booked at the Inn & Motor Lodge for both days. People came from NY, NJ, & CT to stay there. As hosts, we only heard compliments about The Castle Manor Inn.
Most importantly, our daughter and son in law absolutely loved it and had conveyed the deepest appreciation for everything that transpired during their wedding. The reception was epic, the food was fantastic, the service was impeccable. The hospitality was amazing and the value was exactly that. Hey...,this is the place in Gloucester to hold your intimate wedding. So like the the Nike swoosh says: "Just Do It"....,You won't regret it! We are so happy we did!
CJB & CAB - Valatie, NY

Room Tip: Stay in the Main House
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank CJBCAB76
cape cod
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I found this place thru tripadvisor so I had an idea of what it was like. The room we stayed in was Daring Adventure. Very nice. Needs a new mattress but other than that it was big and airy with nice sitting area. It is away from the road which you definitely need here. The view was advertised as water view really just inlets that fill with water, not exactly what I expected. I called ahead and asked for a room with a coach or extra bed because my husband doesn't sleep we'll and has to read in the middle of the night. They were nice enough to give me a small connecting room for the same price as they were not that busy. It's the first week in June. I didn't try the restaurants as the reviews were not great but they do now serve a small continental breakfast. We ate at George's Restaurant because I had read about it online. It is a good place for the money but I think next time I will stay somewhere with a softer bed.

Room Tip: The room above daring adventure looked good also
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed in the motel for a Gloucester wedding. Room smelled moldy. Had to run faucet for 10 minutes to get hot water. Roommate fell in the shower because tub was so slippery. Shower nozzle barely trickled water. Tile floor by tub rotting & ready to cave in. Upon checking out & reporting everything owner never offered discount or breakfast or anything or concern regarding fall. Ate breakfast there and service was unbelievably slow. Avoid this place at all cost!!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Melrosetravel
boston, ma
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having paid 119 $ to reserve a room during off season here to attend a wedding we expected to be in an excellent room, alas, no. Instead we were given a room in the separate motor lodge building , a far cry in quality from that of the main inn rooms. Our motel room was suffering from a dank odor, carpet burns and stains, an old linoleum floor in the bathroom that was freezing and so on. This room during this season cost 119 plus tax. An exorbitant price for early rainy muddy Massachusetts May, having complained , the best they could do is offer a 15 percent discount. Still too high for the lack of quality but we had no choice. Oh we did actually, as an afterthought when we expressed our frustration and dismay, they told us we could have a room on the third floor in the main building. Great! Then we started in that direction and after a minute or two the receptionist finely added that there we would have to pay an extra thirty dollars. Very poor decision on the part of the management on how to treat guests especially during a wedding which brought them a substantial number of room bookings during slow season. There are better ways to run a small business.

Room Tip: Main room only!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheTravelCutie
Laura B, Owner at The Castle Manor Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
We are truly sorry that you were not happy with your stay. We felt the 15% discounted rate was a fair solution to your inconvenience. We cannot upgrade rooms to some at no increase when there are other guests within the same group who opted to pay for a more expensive accommodation. We check regularly with our local competition to be sure our rates are fair. Have a safe and wonderful summer.
Seymour, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My parents stayed there on a trip and dad got sick. I had to drive up there unexpectedly from Ct. And spent several days there. Owners went out of there way to accommodate us while he was in the hospital
The inn is absolutely beautiful , rooms are huge .Lots of vintage decor. Close to downtown Gloucester though I didn't get to see too much of that.
Would love to return under better circumstances

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank PSGarage
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 December 2013

When I opened the door to my room, I was greeted with a small plate of cookies on my bed. How can that not make you smile? The Castle Manor Inn is a large and lovely inn with a very cozy family feel. For two days, I stayed in a lovely room on the top floor with a lovely view of the water. After a frazzling 7 hour drive, being warmly greeted by the hostess and then shortly after that, the bartender, was beyond appreciated. The bar had a nice selection of wine, and I was encouraged to taste a couple before I made my selection. The next evening there was live music - a low-key jazz guitar player - and I was served a surprise slice of homemade apple pie (one of the best I've ever tasted!). Both mornings I had a delicious affordable breakfast (vegetable omelet, hash browns and toast) by friendly and very accommodating staff. The holiday decorations and complimentary coffee in the lobby, and the holiday carols on the stereo made it very festive, and I loved all the fireplaces. My room had a large television and was warm and toasty on the cold evenings. My one critique was that I wish the bed and bed linens were a bit more fluffy and luxe, but I slept very well in any case, and I loved the super-soft bathrobe provided. What I really liked about this place as well is that it is small enough to be very warm and welcoming but not TOO small (I would NOT characterize this as a B&B but a proper inn, per its name so I had no expectation that breakfast should be free like other commenters) so that all guests are on top of each other, which I detest (I like my privacy). I also liked that I could get full meals from the extensive restaurant menu and didn't have to find food elsewhere. I couldn't be more happy with the hospitality and the price. I will be back next year!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MMT-NYC2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Harborview Inn
Harborview Inn
#2 of 17 in Gloucester

Been to The Castle Manor Inn? Share your experiences!