Charlie's Place
Ranked #16 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I live close by Charlie's and have frequented this place for years. The food is great comfort food and serves a combination of American dishes and fresh fried seafood. I love their haddock chowder but the fish sandwich is fabulous!!!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were in the mood for good seafood and a local recommended this place. The lobster bisque tasted like flour and cream. Everything was fried, not much of a selection. My husband got the Lobster Roll for $17... It was on a hotdog bun and was tasteless. It was your basic diner food and atmosphere. I am not sure what all the raves are about. It was not the worse dining experience I have ever had, but it was not what we were expecting.

1  Thank Elaine S
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Vacation trip to Rockport, Mass. We stopped at a grocery store to pick up some snacks. Asked the checkout clerk for some local places to eat. She recommended Charlie's which was a short drive around the corner.

Busy place with the locals. We now know why. Good food. Fried shrimp was worth the trip alone.

Service efficient and friendly. Nice menu selection and prices were competitive with the area.

Only made it there once too many other places to try. But certainly would go back.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

After our whalewatch we were recommended by locals to this Fish Diner, and we were not disappointed. Lobster Bisque . and Fish and Chips Dinner were good value, Batter was light. Children's portions huge. Quick service. Shame no wine.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Homies frequent this restaurant regularly - this outta be enough to recommend a fish restaurant in a fish town. Though it's "Charlie's" today, locals can tell you all the names that this restaurant has gone by in generations past, but what hasn't changed is the quality of the cooking and the friendly service. My favorites are the fisherman's platter with sweet potato fries, though I did once venture to try the excellent cheeks, which occasionally appear on the specials menu. This is where we take visitors who want a taste of fresh fish in a no-frills atmosphere. It's also a great place to go after a day at the beach.