“Good vibe, good food.....”
Review of Giuseppe's Ristorante - CLOSED

Giuseppe's Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2013

It was 10:30 at night and I was sharing a huge cannoli with my daughter. The piano player had Sweet Caroline going and the patrons were singing along. It just felt right. This is a nice Italian restaurant than gives you a nice feeling when you leave. The eggplant and pasta were good dishes, as was the huge side of meatballs. Worth the stop....and plenty of leftovers for the next day.

There are newer reviews for Giuseppe's Ristorante

Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have to admit to being surprised by the strong reviews here, and I'm willing to accept that we may have gone on an off night, but the food we had here was truly mediocre. It didn't help that we were a table of two seated in the midst of several BIG parties. An earlier reviewer suggests this restaurant has a romantic atmosphere, but that was certainly not so for us. Again, it was a busy Saturday night, so perhaps on other nights it would be more romantic. The biggest problem was the entrees. Our Caesar salads were fine if not inspired, but my mussels marinara and husband's pasta with bolognese sauce were not very good. The bolognese was basically ground beef with almost no flavor or anything else to it. My mussels seemed to be sauced with a can of chopped tomatoes, and the menu's promised scampi sauce was completely missing. So basically the sauce had no flavor. The mussels were cooked properly, but that's about all I can say in their favor, and believe me, I get mussels all the time, so I know a good sauce when I have it.

Not a place to which we will return, and not a place I'd recommend.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Although a bit pricey for a student like me, Giuseppe's does not disappoint. Their portions are HUGE - the lasagna lasted me three more days at home. A very family-friendly restaurant, Giuseppe's has live music some nights with extremely varying quality: sometimes quite impressive and other times embarrassingly bad. But then again, the staff is super friendly and eager to help. For italian dinner with the family, I recommend this place warmly!

Reviewed 21 January 2013

In the deep New England Winter of 2002 I began to make annual trips from Martha's Vineyard to Gloucester for reasons having nothing to do with tourism or fine dining. However, I invariably found myself wanting to sample the local fare. At the head of Main Street in downtown Gloucester stands the historic Blackburn building. In 2003 and later it was home to Blackburn's Pub, a Boston-style Irish pub with a great atmosphere in a beautiful ground floor space. In later years the space went vacant. Today, I am happy to say, it is the home to Giuseppe's, a fine Italian restaurant.

On this particular evening I was in the mood to linger and enjoy my meal while watching both the locals who frequent the restaurant and a Patriots' playoff game (the locals won!). The meal started, as do many, with wonderful Italian rolls and a dipping sauce (which I replaced with butter). I opted for a bottle of Chardonnay and was pleased to find an excellent choice from a vineyard with which I was not familiar. The rolls were followed by a shrimp salad. All I can say is the shrimp were of a size I have only experienced at a wedding reception where the groom had them flown in from the Southeast for the occasion. They were crisp and delicious. That was followed by a House salad. I usually forego the salad,, but decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed as the cranberries gave it a crunch and zest which most salads lack.

For my entree I chose a seafood dish. This is, after all, Gloucester, home of the iconic Gloucester fisherman statue just a stone's throw down the street. My choice for the night was Seafood Fra Diavolo. However, I wanted to pass on the usual "hot and spicy" sauce and go with a more familiar scampi sauce. The waitstaff, and the kitchen, were more than accommodating. When my entree arrived it consisted of a bowl-like plate, encircled in fresh mussels, with sizeable portions of lobster, scallops and shrimp on a bed of linguini cooked to perfection. I had clearly made an excellent choice in a town noted for its nautical fare.

After dinner I chose a shot of Jameson's Irish whiskey and finished the evening off with a Bailey's coffee.

In closing, allow me to say that the menu is varied and includes a full line of pasta dishes, specialty pizzas, and build-it-yourself pizzas. The desserts sounded delectable, but would have broken whatever diet I may have been trying to maintain! Finally, do not be put off by the stately appearance of the building. Inside is a restaurant with warmth and personality where one can find fine dining on a working man's budget on a cold New England Winter's night!

1  Thank Chris_on_MVY
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Friends and I have been meeting here for pizza and drinks for months. The entertainment, service and atmosphere are great. We HIGHLY recommend the delicious lasagne--and the portion is HUGE, good for at least 3 people.