“Great Halloween Outing!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Gloucester Harbor Cruise with Brunch and Live Jazz
Ranked #4 of 52 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Medieval-style castle built by inventor John Hays Hammond.
Andalusia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Halloween Outing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2014

We purchased tickets last October during their Halloween time to tour castle. Met plenty of friendly people while riding the bus over and really enjoyed the castle at nightime!

Visited October 2013

Rochester, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

We went for a Thursday night candle light tour of Hammond Castle. First, it's not really by candle light. Consider it more a dimmed lighting tour. The tour was limited and we didn't get to see the whole house, however, they do let you return the next day for free to see the house in the day time. Our tour guide was very energetic and knowlegable. He was very excited about the topic and spoke well. This house is very interesting inside and it's well preserved. The gift shop is very limited to medievil objects and would have preferred some more reading material. In all, I highly suggest visiting this unique house.

Hammond, Louisiana, USA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

Went at dusk. The castle and grounds are stunning. Breathtaking views, and beautiful flowers. Wished we could have gone on the candlelight tour.

Boston, Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Depends on your age and art appreciation!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

As a 40+ something, I really love Hammond Castle. It's very cool and I love the narrow winding staircases, the art, the tapestries, Hammond's collections...the overall feel of the castle. My 11-year old was less than impressed. She just passed through the rooms without really appreciating the art or the awe of some of the rooms. She thought the pool was cool, and the bedroom overlooking the pool/courtyard, but overall it was a bust for her, unfortunately. (I tried! I try to promote art appreciation!) We both thought the castle and grounds right on the ocean were beautiful, but I think I should have waited to take her until she was a bit older. I really like it, but families with tweens may want to think about it. Luckily it's only $10 adults/$8 children, so I wasn't out too much. I really like it, but I'm only giving it 3 stars for tween-interest.

1 Thank Doogle45
Oakville, Connecticut
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great time! Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently visited the Hammond castle after just driving by it. I would highly recommend if you go to listen to the tour provided. I learned so many interesting facts and information about the castle and the owner and liked how the tutorial was personalized with stories versus just facts and dates. I don't think I would have enjoyed as much if I was just touring on my own.