The Vista
US$131
Travelocity
Sea Lion Motel(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$116
Hotwire.com
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$165
TripAdvisor
Rockport Inn and Suites(Rockport)(Great Value!)
US$178
Hotwire.com
US$158
TripAdvisor
All reviewscontinental breakfastgreat viewyogurtrooms are cleanheated pooldowntown gloucesterview of the oceannew englandminute drivecape ann areathree nightsbaked goodsone night staynice poolcoffee makercarportefficiency
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Efficiency, back building, second level, and a terrific view of the ocean from the balcony! The sliding door has a screen so that fresh air can come into the room. Balconies are partitioned
off, and one does't have to look at one's neighbors!
This is a wonderful place to "camp out" if you'd like to take a few days to explore Rockport
and Gloucester. Spotlessly clean, the room has a two burner stove, fridge, microwave,
and coffemaker. Utensils are provided, if one is inclined to dine in. The beds are comfortable,
and one doesn't have to go on the hunt for a spare blanket! Bathroom has good towels
and wonderful water pressure. Basically, everything that one might need on a beach
vacation is right here...no Euro-chic stuff, just good ol' New England comfort.
Staff ladies during booking, check-in, and check out were wonderfully direct and down to
earth. There is some construction going on, but did not hear any noise from the workers.
Would not hesitate to stay here again--great to see an older motel still running and in good
order!
Say 'hello' to the Tibetan Terrier!

Room Tip: If travelling with little ones or elders, might want to choose room that has ground level access. Also check to see if some units offer walk-in showers, ease of access for elders.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank m g
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I just recently returned from a visit to The Vista, late April 2012. We have been going to Gloucester for 35 years and love this town. We used to stay in a little Mom and Pop B&B which unfortunately went out of business several years ago. In it's place, The Vista Motel has become our "go-to" place to stay in the area. We have stayed at the Vista many times. There are not that many motel choices in Gloucester that are affordable and/or even open year round. The Vista does a good job year round and is a particularly good value in the shoulder seasons and winter. It has a very nice pool, a continental breakfast, plentiful parking and a wide range of room sizes and views for varying room rates. The most expensive rooms are efficiency rooms on the top floor of the two story main building with beautiful views overlooking Good Harbor Beach. Good Harbor Beach is THE beach to use in Gloucester and on Cape Ann. It is beautiful. There is a hefty municipal fee to park a car at the beach during the summer season but you could get around that by staying at the Vista and either walking 10 minutes and/or dropping off your family at the footbridge and then parking your car back at the Vista. Additionally, I believe the Vista could give you a discount coupon for parking at the beach as a customer of the motel. This is a common practice for places of lodging in the City of Gloucester if you ask.

We would recommend The Vista especially if you have a large family function like a wedding in the area. They have quite a few rooms and your family could all be in close proximity to one another. The Vista is only about 2 miles from the center of town. My wife and I consider it a nice easy walk in the good weather. It is a very quick and inexpensive cab ride into town for those times that you might want to party and/or not want to drive or walk into town. The staff will gladly call you a cab. The motel is very family friendly and many times we have observed parents and their children lounging around and enjoying the pool area and the gorgeous view out to the beach.
The staff is always friendly, local and willing to help. The owners live on the property and keep an eye on things. It is well run and you see employees performing maintenance and grounds functions all the time. The rooms are of a decent size, standard motel rooms with air conditioning, sliding glass doors and most have balconies of one sort or another. The overall location is very nice and very convenient for people staying in Gloucester or in nearby towns on CApe Ann.

We regularly recommend the Vista to our friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DnAAlbany_NY
vistamotel, Owner at The Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Thank you so much for writing, we truly appreciate your time and kind words. I just wanted to clear up a point that you made in your review about large families and group stays. The Vista is not large enough to accommodate groups without affecting the enjoyment of the rest of our guests. To that end we allow groups to take up to, and only three rooms. This ensures that all of our guests will have a quiet, relaxing stay. Again, thanks for reviewing the Vista and we look forward to seeing you next time!
Laura Dow, owner

Reviewed 15 April 2012

The view is fantastic, and within walking distance to all the stores and shops. Nice place, nice people.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed at the Vista for 3 nights in the beginning of April 2012. The place is appropriately named - the motel is set up on a hill overlooking a beautiful bay and beach. Water's a little cold for my taste, I'm from Florida. The rooms were absolutely great and prices were reasonable if not very good. But mainly the staff was wonderful - even better than the setting and the accomodations. Helpful, friendly, good office coffee but mail helpful. I went outside at about 2 a.m. and it was 28 degrees. In my jambes and bathrobe. And of course, the door locked behind me. At 2 a.m. At 28 degrees. I banged on the office door as visions of hypothermia were setting in, and presto! - the owner came down, gave me key and I got back in. Until about 6 a.m., when I did it again! And they gave me another key! Seems simple, but they were already cruising for a very favorable review, and then bumped it up by stopping me from freezing to death, allowing me to write this.
I'd stay there any time and given that it's only about 45 minutes from Boston, I might make it a base of operations if I were to go to Boston for 2 or more nights.
Oh yeah, excellent TV and wifi, and refrigerator and refrigerator and stove. All mod cons.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor for the view, but the first floor is fine as well
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex C
Reviewed 28 March 2012

OK....,so it was 80 degrees for two days in March. What is a beach loving couple from the Albany area to do? Answer: Play hookie from work, go to Good Harbor Beach (beautiful) and stay at the Vista Motel that is walking distance to the beach. That is exactly what we did.

The Vista was one of a very few "open year round" hotel-motels in the Gloucester area. The price was very reasonable and albeit the efficeincy we stayed in was a bit dated, it was absolutely without question, one of the cleanest rooms I have ever seen. Fresh paint, clean linens, clean carpets and very well facilitated. This was a wonderful and very pleasant surprise.

The staff is very personable and informative about where to dine. When you say:"The best bang for your buck", you should be thinking about the Vista with it's views and cleanliness.
It was "cool beans" and we would go back on a heartbeat! C & C Valatie, NY

Room Tip: Get the Second Floor Efficeincy Rooms. Big with great views and a great balcony to enjoy some libations....,
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple