The Vista
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sea Lion Motel(Gloucester)
View Hotel
All reviewscontinental breakfastgreat viewyogurtrooms are cleanheated pooldowntown gloucesterview of the oceannew englandminute drivecape ann areathree nightsbaked goodsone night staynice poolcoffee makercarportefficiency
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Vista Motel is located in Gloucester, MA, a beautiful city. It's located across from Good
Harbor Beach and is a very walkable distance from two shopping and grocery areas and restaurants. The rooms are kept very clean and the rates quite reasonable but better off-season! The staff is very friendly and local. I'm from Gloucester and everyone knows each other which is quite welcoming. I wholly recommend staying there. I go every year!

Room Tip: A great place for the older traveller. There is a pool and they serve a continental breakfast. In the winter months they also offer muffins, etc. If you're an older couple, it's excellent! Families will like it in the summer due to the close proximity of Good Harbor Beach.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I went here for a weekend getaway with my boyfriend. We only stayed one night, but I had a pleasant experience. They were able to book me for just one night despite the 2 night minimum rule. The hotel staff was very nice and gave me helpful ideas on what to do for an evening in Gloucester. The view over Good Harbor Beach was just unbeatable, Good Harbor Beach has been one of my favorite beaches in the whole world so to be in walking distance was awesome. The continental breakfast was very nice. If I had one thing I could say could be improved, the matress in our room wasn't entirely comfortable. A little hard. But really this was only minor and it wouldn't deter me from staying again at all. All in all this was an awesome stay and as I do go back to Gloucester every once in awhile, I will be sure to stay at the Vista.

Room Tip: really all of the rooms have great views
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here 9/21-9/23 for our first time visiting Gloucester. This hotel is a 3 star hotel. The rooms were clean and up-kept daily by friendly staff. The bathrooms were slightly outdated, had no lock on the door, but had good water pressure in the shower. The beds were comfortable. We got the medium priced rooms, and you could see the ocean from the balcony. I highly recommend driving across to the beach and taking a stroll on the beach, it was one of the highlights of our trips! The beach is dog friendly after September 15th and there must have been 30 people walking their dogs. The hotel is dog friendly always. While the breakfast was continental it was DELICIOUS. It was the best continental breakfast I have ever had. The breads and muffins are delivered fresh daily and kept warm. There is an attentive breakfast lady always there refreshing things. The blueberry muffins were outstanding and I kept going back for more. They also had out salami, cheese, crackers, cereals, a variety of teas, a nice coffee station, and orange and cranberry juice. The only thing missing was bagels but the muffins surely made up for it. The front desk staff was helpful. They have free ice which was nice to fill our cooler up. The pool looked very clean but we did not swim. We didn't spend much time in the hotel since there was so much to do, so for the price it was just what we needed. We found the little parking 'garage' that came with our room hard to pull into. My only complaint is the taxes were very high on the room. We are going to check out a different hotel next year but this was just right for the price.

Room Tip: Go with the medium priced room, you get a balcony and a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank QHgirl08
Reviewed 24 September 2013

A friend recommended this motel to me and she was right on. The room was very clean, the breakfast hit the spot, and the price was right. It also has a great view of the beach, which is within walking distance, and the ocean. I definitely recommend that patrons visit the beach. The location is great for getting to both downtown Gloucester and Rockport. Thanks Vista!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ed M
Reviewed 22 September 2013

4 1/2 Stars! I have been to the Vista four times in the past 10 years (I'd go yearly if I could!) and I've been very happy every time. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly and helpful and you can't beat the cost, even in season, for access to Good Harbor Beach and all that Gloucester/Rockport has to offer. I recommend the Vista (and Gloucester) to everyone as a great vacation spot, and the Vista especially for the fridge/micro in every room, the fabulous breakfast and the clean, warm pool for when you want a more relaxing swim. The only thing that keeps this from being 5 stars is: (1) no exhaust fan in the bathroom - window opens but that doesn't help the "steamies" after showers, by the 2nd shower the room is practically dripping; and (2) maybe I'm just getting older, but the beds seemed unusually hard/uncomfortable. Even a $20 "egg crate" would be a huge improvement. Still, I'll go back again and again, until I win the lottery and buy my own place in Gloucester!

Room Tip: Even the "partially obstructed view" rooms are worth it; every room has an outside porch to just soak up the ocean air and even the partial view is great. The efficiencies overlook the pool, so mid-day napping is out when the pool is busy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family