“A happy circumstance”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Beverly, Massachusetts
“A happy circumstance”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Wandering around Gloucester without dinner reservations, our party of four took a chance and popped into Franklin Cafe. They had one table free and seated us immediately. I'm glad!

I loved my hanger steak and my dinner companions enjoyed their dinners also - one person had a halibut special, one had ravioli and the other a burger. The atmosphere was wonderful and the service prompt and courteous. Could not ask for more!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Fish on the East Coast”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Not fried or battered. Just really good fresh food with interesting side dishes. The price is super cheap compared with Boston. The staff is friendly and know the menu. Great wine.

Aptos, California
“Nice eatery-Pricey”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Wonderful cuisine. A bit pricey for what you get. Had the surf and turf...Delicious! BUT...
Child size portions. Almost ordered another appetizer to fill me up, but the wallet said no. Decent wine list. My wife had a great lobsta bisque and lobsta dumpling.....

• Visited August 2013
“Convenient last minute dinner plans, very good meal.”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I will preface all my dinner reviews with: I was with 6 other woman, in my family, one who is VERY high maintenance and complains about everything. Overall I think that Franklin cafe is a cute spot in downtown Gloucester. They are reasonable priced, and they give quality food, and try to put a spin on the well known fish that they serve. For an appetizer I had the grilled calamari salad with white beans and lemon. It was very good, the white beans were a little too much and I would have liked more lemon, and oil to bring out the calamari a bit more. But overall for an appetizer it was good. My entree was the pan seared cod with chive mashed potato and oyster mushroom. The meal was very hearty and they have a nice portion. I wasn't crazy about the chive mashed potato, somehow I think it cheapens the richness and complexity of the cod. I think if they wanted to do a carb it would have been better a rice, or cous cous. As far as the service it was great. Like I said in the beginning I had many different personalities to accommodate, including two elderly woman..over the age of 85. They were able to get us in last minute for dinner and give service with a smile.

• Visited July 2013
Naples, Florida
“Terrific restaurant, great location, superb meal!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Franklin Café is an excellent choice if you want to have a great dining experience in Gloucester. The restaurant is right on Main Street. The have live jazz and reservations are a must even in the dead of winter! However, we were able to get a table without a wait whatsoever on a Tuesday night at 7:30pm...

At the recommendation of our server, we ordered the cod (Franklin specialty) and the seafood linguine. Both superb choices! The cod was cooked to perfection with mashed potatoes and a mushroom topping that was out of this world. Both entrees were generous portions too! I was impressed with the offering of a gluten free and vegetarian menu, which can also be made vegan on request. Very accommodating. This particular location serves dessert and we ordered the Mascarpone Cheesecake , which was very similar to Tiramisu, outstanding! I plan to visit again very soon. We loved it!