“wonderful experience by the sea”

Franklin Cafe Cape Ann
Ranked #13 of 138 Restaurants in Gloucester
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading, Massachusetts, United States
“wonderful experience by the sea”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I'm skeptical about writing this review, as i do not want the word to spread like wildfire how special this restaurant truly is. Great selection of super apps., I highly recommend the lobster flat bread, it's to die for and priced right. The entrees were perfectly prepared and fresh, fresh, fresh. We had two orders of the chefs special, which was monk fish with lobster risotto. My wife had the honey and lavender salmon with sweet potatoes... very yummy. And another in our party had the panned seared cod, also cook to perfection with potato hash and saffron. We all split a rich and decadent warm chocolate cake with ice cream...tremendous! The atmosphere was wonderful, although i imagine this is a very busy place in the summer and fall. our waitress was great, she never made us fell rushed. We actually dined, and not herded as is the case with many restaurants. The menu pricing was incredibly low for such a quality meal. We are already planning our next visit in a few weeks....Reservations are a must!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank SteveScorpio

Hillsdale, New Jersey
“Amazing food!!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were visiting colleges in the Boston area and our hotel concierge recommended driving North to Gloucester for great seafood. When we arrived in Gloucester most of the restaurants were closed for the winter. I quickly checked Tripadvisor for recommendations and found Franklin Cafe Cape Ann. I am so glad we went in! The food, atmosphere and service were all exceptional! We started with the local beer "Fisherman's Brew". It was so refreshing! We then ordered the lobster dumplings that were a delicious surprise. My kids tried them also not knowing they were lobster meat (they don't eat anything from the ocean). They loved them! We ordered the cod & salmon dinners while the kids had the hanger steak, chicken Marsala and a burger. Everyone loved their meals. The French fries with the burger and steak were truffle fries and so delicious! Everyone enjoyed reaching for them! The Salmon was accompanied by sweat potatoes, yum, and the chicken was perfect. We can't say one bad thing about our meals. Also, our waitress was polite and attentive. I also feel the prices were great!

• Visited February 2014
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Amateur Night at The Franklin”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and I and two friends ate there recently.. The service was very slow, even though there were few diners in the restaurant. It took forever to get our drinks. Three out of four of the entrees arrived cold and had to be sent back.

I think that mom and dad were on vacation and they left their children in charge.

The Franklin is usually very professionally run but I'm reluctant to return after this experience.

• Visited February 2014
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My brother-in-law and wife live in Gloucester and last weekend my wife and I went to visit. They took us out to the Franklin, which they said they dine at pretty frequently. It was a Friday night and when walking in it seemed like restaurant of preference that evening in Gloucester. We were greeted by a young lady at the hostess stand and were seated right away even though we were a few minutes early. We were handed menus and were surprised by a sushi menu which was not mentioned by my brother-in-law, apparently a new option offered at the restaurant. I was quite happy because I am a big fan of sushi and love trying it from different locations. My wife and I split the "Chef's Choice" sushi roll along with the lobster dumplings for appetizers, both were amazing! The sushi may have been one of the best I have ever tried and the dumplings were so flavorful. My brother-in-law got a salad for his appetizer which I tried and that was also very tasty. For my entree I got the hanger steak and my wife ordered the cod, both of us were very pleased with our choices. The drinks were also very good as well. I ordered a "Black Jack" because I am a big whiskey guy and was shocked at how refreshing the beverage was. The service was great. Our server, named Joe, was very polite and funny making the experience that much better. One thing I know for sure is whenever I am going to be in the Gloucester area I know where I will be going for dinner!

• Visited December 2013
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Great recommendation... ”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Visited the Franklin on a busy Saturday night recommended by a co worker - hostess let us know there would be a short wait we put our names in and enjoyed a cocktail at the upstairs cozy bar was seated quickly and enjoyed a great meal started with a tasty tuna and avocado sushi roll followed with haddock that was cooked to perfection not to mention the delicious brussels sprouts we got as a side.... If by chance your in the Gloucester area pay the Franklin a visit!

Worth the wait we will return!!