“Interesting Piece of History”

Fishermen's Memorial Monument
Ranked #2 of 56 things to do in Gloucester
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Interesting Piece of History”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We were in the area and stopped to check out the Fisherman's Memorial with our family. We took a few minutes to talk about it with our kids, check out the view, and read through the names at the site. The statue is a popular place for photos, and you can also look right onto the ocean. Parking was easy and we were happy we stopped to check this out on our way through.

1 Thank MAMamaof3

New Haven, Connecticut
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“A somber memorial, dedicated to those at Sea”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Like many of us, I had watched the movie the "Perfect Storm" and thought about how that would impact me when I saw the centuries of names of those lost at sea on the memorial. It was a proud and surreal place all at the same time. I honor those who have lost their lives at sea with my photographs of the monument, and I wish for no further names to ever have to be placed there. If you look on the hillside behind the monument, you will see one of may hillside houses with "Widow Walks." I remember explaining to my friend some time ago what houses built in that fashion were all about, but the sight of it overlooking the ocean made it even more concrete to me. One of the local town public works-type workers was kind enough to assist me in getting the perfect picture, by asking some people to excuse my intrusion for a moment.

Visited June 2014
Marina del Rey, California
182 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“Nice Monument”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We came here and really enjoyed this monument and the park by the water. The monument has so many names on it - it's really an impressive historical place. The whole area is lovely by the water.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sally B
Naples, Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Very humbling”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

It is amazing that they have the names of lost seamen going back to the 1600's. It makes you realize how dangerous this lifestyle was, and still is. My family used to make their living on the water and this helped me realize what a dangerous job it was.

Visited May 2014
Newbury, Vermont
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Honor”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It is always moving to visit this monument and consider the cost. There is something so poignant about such personal, intimate monuments. You almost feel like an intruder.

Visited July 2013