“Stay away!”

Azorean Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Azorean Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Authentic Mediterranean Cuisine & Casual Dining
West Orange, NJ
“Stay away!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

After returning from Boston on the train in Gloucester the wonderful smell radiating from this restaurant beckoned us in. However that was all that was good about the place. Our waitress was indifferent and when we mentioned the mussel dish was extraordinarily hot she offered to bring my companion water and afterwards when she still was not able to eat her dish the waitress suggested she order a glass of milk. Never apologized or offered to exchange dish. Other two friends ordered a salad with shrimp asking for dressing on the side. It came, and without checking they both put some dressing on-not realizing the salad had already been heavy handedly dressed. In response to this waitress the waitress shrugged. Tables around us were unhappy as well with incorrect orders and overly seasoned dishes. PLEASE do not be drawn in
by the aromatic smell coming from this restaurant. I was very surprised to see the positive reviews listed here on tripadvisor. If looking for great restaurant in Gloucester see my review of Duckworth Bistrot.

1 Thank ew1111

Chicago, Illinois
“Very good”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

This place was recommended by the owners of our rental apartment in Rockport. We went there our first night and were glad we tried it.

The food was very good. I had a fish and rice dish -- somewhat like paella. It had a nice amount of spiciness, and plenty of fish. My daughter had salmon with a tangy mustard/cream/mushroom sauce, which she really enjoyed. (It was too rich for me, though.) I tried both types of sangrias and liked them both. Our waitress was fairly curt, and we had to work to grab her attention a few times, but she was fine overall. I think this place is a nice change-of-pace from the typical tourist fare. It's worth checking out!

Peabody, Massachusetts
“Great Portugese food!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The portugese restaurant in our city (Peabody) closed down a while age . I really missed authentic fPortugese food and then I found the Azorean . Owned and operated by a lovely Portugese couple . The restaurant is very authentically decorated ,the staff is very knowledgeable and the food was wonderful . The have excellent Tapas and an original Tapas Tower which was 5 tapas of your choice. The food is presented nicely with just the right amount of seasoning. You get more then enough with your dinner . I had soup just like my grandmother used to make me . You can order as small a meal or enough to satisfy the largest eater . The restaurant is a bit noisy when crowded ,however you can also find a cozy corner ,great for large groups also . Give it a try ,you wont be sorry !

Montreal, Canada
“Poor food”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Went there for lunch and order steamed clams and a Portuguese stew my wife and were sicknthat evening. I would not recommand this restaurant to nobody. Lack of quality control. Those two dishes must had old fish broth and old sea food not fresh as they publicize on the radio. Very disappointed.

4 Thank c k
Branford, Connecticut
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Had a wonderful meal at the Azorean - appetizers tried were the cheese board and Linquica with Pineapple.
Entrees Shrimp Mozambique - beautiful, large shrimp in delicious sauce with rice & Azorean Steak Tips - cooked to perfect and so tasty! Great service and, if you purchase a bottle of wine and don't finish you can bring with you.

Visited July 2014