“DON'T STAY HERE - VERY RUDE”

Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 29 May 2011

My fiance had booked rooms for our wedding for my 85 year old mother and a 80 year old friend of hers, my older brother and his wife (in their late 50's). A number of my friends (all in their 50's and hardly a rowdy crowd) also wanted to stay at the Inn, but were told that too many from our wedding party had already booked at the In and that they would accept no additional reservations from anyone associated with our wedding. We had wanted everyone to stay together as it was more convenient and it turns out they had plenty of space. (I'd call it discrimination).

Additionally, my brother was unable to arrive on the Thursday night that we had originally booked his room and we cancelled the reservation 6 days and 12 hours in advance of that Thursday, but NOOOOOOOOO! We had to cancel 7 days prior to receive a refund. When I calmly attempted to discuss the situation with one of the front desk personnel, they were very unsympathetic and refused to acknlowledge that we were spending quite a bit of money that weekend for rooms at the Inn.

The rooms are overpriced and the staff is extremely rude. There are many places along the coast to stay. PLEASE do yourself a favor and stay in one of the other seaside Inns. These people are nasty.

If anyone would like to discuss this further, please email me at dchilcote@tappackagingsolutions.com

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank HolaamigoCleveland

Reviewed 16 April 2011

I am getting married in Gloucester this summer, with the reception being held at the Crane Estate in Ipswich. I live in metrowest Boston - a bit too far from the wedding festivities so I sought out accomodations for our immediate families (recognizing that many of the inns would be unwilling / unable to accomodate my wedding guests). I saw the photos of the Stacy House suites and thought it would be a perfect spot for myself and my bridesmaids to get ready.

My fiancee and I stopped by one day last August to see the place and were planning on making reservations in person. Well, the woman at the front desk was less than welcoming. After explaining our situation, she just kept saying "Sorry, we can't accomodate groups of any size." I inquired as to why and got some nonsensical response about repeat guests. I then said "So, a family of 4 is essentially not allowed to stay at your inn" and she replied "Sorry, no groups. Especially on holiday weekends." At this point, I was in tears and we walked away (not before my financee took a chocolate chip cookie from the tray in the lobby - hahaha).

If anyone can explain the rationale for this policy, I would really like to hear it. I cannot understand why turning away an upper-middle class young couple - who was prepared to designate their inn as the location for romantic weekend getaways for decades to come is a good business model for the owners.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
11  Thank sf811
BassRocksOceanInn, Owner at Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

I am very sorry that you mistook our inability to meet your requirements as rudeness on our part. It is very important to us that every guest to Gloucester has the best possible experience no matter where they stay. That is why we do turn down business that we know we cannot accommodate along with our primary guests, vacationing families. Going into our 65th year, we have tried many ways to serve the individual traveler alongside guests that are part of a group and have failed. We do not host functions and therefore have no function managers to tend to a group's varied needs. We do not have the flexibility to arrange staff to accommodate your schedule to ensure you have the best possible service for your group. We do not have private gathering places that would be off-limits to our other guests for your comfort. Our primary concern is the comfort of our repeat guests that make up 90% of our business. We keep information on other hotels that are equipped and experienced in hosting groups and are more than happy to help any group find the perfect place for their guests.

Our Stacy House Suites, while completely renovated in 2007 and are more spacious and beautiful, came with some very steep restrictions through the city and state. We had to agree to a maximum occupancy of two people, at any time, per suite. We are not permitted to allow a group of bridesmaids to get dressed there. A photographer is not even allowed if there are already two people in the suite. While some may have a difficult time understanding this and expect us to 'bend' the rules, we will not jeopardize our license, nor the comfort and serenity for our guests.

I wish you well in your upcoming nuptials and invite you to come back and enjoy our cookies some time in the future.

Reviewed 17 February 2011

Stayed here with my mom and 14 month old baby - cannot say enough wonderful things about this beautiful hotel. The grounds are gorgeous, staff very friendly and helpful (especially when asking a number of times to warm up baby food) and the rooms are very clean and fresh. We stayed in an "Oceanfront" house room- ground level so we were able to walk right out onto the patio with a gorgeous view of the lawn and ocean. Truly a peaceful getaway-and reasonably priced considering every morning there is a complimentary breakfast, and cookies, tea/coffee in the afternoon! If you are looking to escape the "hustle and bustle" of everyday life and want a couple of days of quiet and relaxation, this is the place to be.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank angelmessenger
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We really enjoyed staying at Bass Rocks Ocean Inn. The rooms were large, well kept, clean and very comfortable. Beautiful view and the only thing I would change would be to move the road to the rear of the hotel. Traffic however, was not really a problem. Hot coffee and tea water, all day with home made cookies. Breakfast included with home made muffins, scones as well as store bought (but good) bread, eng. muffins and the like. Fresh fruit bowl and whole fruit, juices, cereal. and the dining room has a water view. The people were also fantastic. Also, many free newpapers and DVDs to borrow for the player in your room, a pool table and library to borrow from or sit and read it. Really, it does not get much better than this. Oh, lovely soft afghans on each bed (which we used in the am so we kept warm on our patio with our morning drinks. And there is a golf course in the back yard.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank mimibev
Reviewed 19 October 2010

The on line photos must have been taken with a wide angle lens. Notice there are no photos of the bathroom, good reason for it. I don't think a camera and person would fit in the room together. Small to say the least is being very kind, forget handicapped accessability for elders. Wash your hands either in the sink or tub while sitting on the thrown,that close. Trailer like. The room we stayed in was at the end and windowed, on two sides mainly chosen for the views in mind. We live in the mountains and the seashore is a pleasant change. I will say the location is the best if you are a walker or love to shoot photos and the staff very friendly. Clean as is expected for the price. The price is a bit high for the quality of room, older furniture, old tv, air conditioner etc.
*** MAKE this note *** Next door is the ATLANTIS INN I had the time to also look at while we were in the neighborhood. Next time we'll stay there. Larger rooms, to fit the bikes, luggage and to lounge in the room, a bit cheaper = better value. OH need I forget, if your looking for peace and quiet. Think about another stay. There is constant flow of cars not high volume traffic but just when it gets quiet it's not. The Bass Rocks sits between the ocean and Atlantic drive, a main road to town. The end rooms more expensive for the view are closer to the road and the noise is annoying at times 300am. Sitting outside with a glass of wine at night just might have been more enjoyable without the cars.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My husband and I spent our last night in New England in Gloucester. We booked a room at the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn, it looked great online and we wanted to stay on the water. The hotel and room exceeded our expections! The bed was like sleeping on a cloud! We woke to a misty morning and spectacular view of the ocean! I would highly recommend this hotel, especially for a romantic getaway!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2010

The grounds are as beautiful as the view. Our hosts were helpful and gracious. Warm chocolate chip cookies were waiting in the lobby every afternoon. The pool overlooked the ocean. The view from our porch area was stunning. The bedding was very comfortable and the room was very clean. What wasn't to like?

Although the bathroom was small, it would not stop me from staying again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge

Been to Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks? Share your experiences!