“favorite place to stay in Gloucester” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bass Rocks Ocean Inn

Bass Rocks Ocean Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
brookline,ma
“favorite place to stay in Gloucester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I love spending time in Gloucester and Bass Rocks Ocean Inn is the perfect place for a quick get away.
I discovered this place last year and returned this summer. On both occasions my room faced the ocean. I sat on my balcony and watched the ocean in late afternoon and evening. I heard the ocean sounds as I went to bed.
The location is great. I love to walk and it was easy access to walk along Good Harbor beach, which is also my favorite beach in Gloucester.
Going to the beach is not required since there is a pool and outdoor space for relaxing and reading.
Breakfast is provided until 11 am every day which is appreciated. I always hate rushing to get to breakfast when on vacation. I was able to walk for an hour in the am and then have a late breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank literacycoach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

What a pleasure our stay was here. The pool and pool area is clean and well-maintained. The kids loved the free DVD library, lemonade and fresh-baked cookies in the lobby. The (I assume) owner was a powerhouse - always cheery, kind and complimentary and full of helpful tips on what to do in the area. Breakfast is served in a dinning area with a view of the ocean (bagels with cream cheese, muffins, english muffins, cofffee, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, cheese squares etc.). The rooms are clean and comfortable and they all have an ocean view and an outdoor space (a patio on the first floor, a wide balcony on the second). There's also a small rooftop area with a higher view of the ocean. Look in the drawer below the cookies for menus of many area restaurants - some that deliver. We ended up booking an extra night as we couldn't face leaving.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank RamblinDan
Greenlawn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

This was our first visit, we really enjoyed Bass Rock. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the grounds and room were very clean and well kept and the view of the ocean was amazing. We weren't happy with the town of Gloucester, driving was a challenge and alot of restaurants were closed for lunch. We found Beverly and Salem very nice for restaurants and sight seeing, 15-20 min. ride away. We also drove up to Maine to go to the Outlets about a 55 min. drive. We will be back to the Bass Rock.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Deputy17
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

We had a wonderful, too short of a stay at Bass Rocks Ocean Inn. I made a mistake in booking however after checking with the owner they took care of us. Great location, very nice rooms and really enjoyed the breakfast spread.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Beckncoll
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

I just returned from five days at the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn. My stay could not have been more pleasant. Sea views, a comfortable bed, and tasteful accommodations were only eclipsed by the most gracious staff that I've ever encountered. The maid service was prompt, thorough, and eager to accommodate. The front desk staff went out of its way to make me feel comfortable and to help me navigate the area. Colleen, whom I believe to be the proprietor, was an abiding presence in the dining room where she offered wonderful suggestions about what to do on a particular day. I cannot say enough about the staff. I decided to extend my stay by two days; the woman who cleaned my room, Davya, offered to help me move all of my things to the other room. When two of the men working on the grounds (which are, by the way, lovely) heard us talking about my needing to move rooms, they also offered to help me move. It was really an incredible experience. Lastly, whether it is tea and the home-made chocolate chip cookies that greet one in the afternoon or the vast and varied breakfast (cheeses, hard-bolied eggs, fruit, scones, muffins, dry cereal and all manner of beverages), one feels quite cosseted. The only possible drawback are the small bathrooms, but that is small price to pay for a really wonderful experience. I would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank espritouvert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel with our 4 year old son. The staff were amazing, accommodating all the needs that come with travelling with a little one. They recommended great family friendly restaurants and activities and really made our time in "Glosta" a memorable one. Some other commented on road construction nearby but this looks to be completed.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

My husband and I just returned from our vacation on the east coast. We stayed at Bass Rocks for 5 days while we toured the area and up to Maine. We stayed in one of 3 suites with wonderful ocean views out the 2 living roon windows as well as out the bedroom window. The service was freindly and very accomodating and made excellent suggestoins on where to eat and what to do in the area. We were able to peak at the regular rooms (not suites) and they were spacious and all had great views of the ocean which was directly across the street. If there was any room for improvement, it would be the continental breakfast. It was ok...I could not identify the fruit in the "cocktail"...fresh would be much better, even if it was just apples and oranges. All in all though it was a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views.