“The best hotel in the area by far! You won't be disappointed!”

Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 8 July 2013

First off I would like to thank Brandon at the front desk for everything! He is amazing! Ok so now for the background story which will show how I arrived at that previous comment: A little less than a week ago we (me, my girlfriend, and her aunt) were going to stay at a hotel a little further down the street...I won't mention any names but I will just say that it was moldy, outdated, and just awful in every way possible. We started to panic because it was the July 4th weekend and everything and I mean EVERYTHING was booked! We stopped at a few hotels to see if there were any vacancies but one hotel in passing IMMEDIATELY caught my eye: The Bass Rocks Ocean View Inn. I kept thinking...hmm there just seems to be something special about this hotel...it just stands out from all the others. As soon as we got out of the car and went inside the lobby which is situated inside a beautiful house which was constructed in the 1800's, we were greeted with smiles and amazing hospitality. Brandon showed us the premises and what the rooms looked like as well as his special spot at the top, which was an observation deck overlooking the Atlantic Ocean...and what an amazing view it was! Brandon made us feel right at home..never forced us to make a decision and answered any question we could possibly have...he is definitely an invaluable member of the staff. His friendliness makes you feel like you've known him for years! All I can say is that I am so glad that we made the decision to stay there. If I could I would stay there forever (no seriously I am not even joking)...that is how amazing it was! The staff definitely goes over and above and beyond to please their guests and make you a top priority. There are little touches here and there to make the visit even more enjoyable such as unlimited chocolate chip cookies and lemonade during the summer, free bikes, an abundance of menus for restaurants in the area, dvds, historical books, a binder full of things to do, a heated pool, rooms with an ocean view, a billiard room, an amazing breakfast complete with classic 1930's and 1940's music...I could go on and on! This hotel just has that friendly, homey feeling of hotels from days long ago. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I am already looking forward to my next stay there!! So there you go. If you head up to Gloucester you have a choice of where you want to stay in the area of Bass Rocks ..and that choice is undoubtedly the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn..it blows all the other hotels and resorts out of the water..and say hi to Brandon for us! You won't be disappointed! Thanks again!!
Alex, Nicole, and Ernestine

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alex C

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Last minute day trip turned in to a wonderful overnight stay. Very friendly service. Rooms are very clean and the view of the ocean is outstanding. Bikes to borrow to tour the area a no extra cost. Nice buffet/continental breakfast.Family friendly too. I would make the trip again for a longer stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful setting in a fantastic location. The house with the lobby, breakfast and a few rooms is amazing. All of the rooms have a great view of the coastline and an observation area on top of the hotel for all guests. The hospitality of the staff is great. They have bikes included for everyone to use. The breakfast is very good with fresh made baked goods and Starbucks branded coffee. The cookies and coffee + tea all evening is a perfect touch to put them over the edge

The rooms are a little small, but not so much that you feel cramped. While they are a little outdated in some ways, the hotels offsets it by keeping the rooms immaculately clean and updating a few items along the way, keeping everything classic and nice looking.

I feel that the seasonal rate was unusually high for what you are getting, but this was my first time travelling the northeast during summer and it really seems to be on par for the area. In general, I expect more for $250/night, but in comparison to everything else available in the same pricepoint, this place blows them out of the water.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

My wife and I have been spending time each summer at Bass Rocks Ocean Inn for the past 24 years, the past 10 of which we have shared with our children. We have brought our parents and relatives over the years, and each time it has been memorable. Its proximity to beautiful Good Harbor Beach, lovely rooms, excellent service, the heated oceaside pool, complimentary bicycles, breakfasts (muffins too!), cookies, etc. all make this a wonderful place to visit time and time again. Would recommended it to anyone looking for a picturesque, quaint and relaxing place to get away from home!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room! All have ocean views and either a balcony or a patio. We always select th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Nicely updated rooms. Comfy beds. All rooms face the sea. Above average breakfast. Bicycles, DVDs, games available for guests. Beach parking vouchers offer a discount. Stunning views. Peaceful sleeping. Lack of dividers between patio or balcony areas is small drawback. Not much privacy. In a way, it's a plus. You feel part of a shared experience like you might on the deck of a cruise ship. Taking in the happy sounds of people swimming or chatting poolside against the backdrop of the ocean meeting the rocky coast is uniquely appealing. Recommend a second-floor room if you're near the pool. (Lower room numbers are closest to the pool. Furthest from the pool are rooms 124 and 224.) Enjoy!

Room Tip: Recommend a second-floor room if you're near the pool. (Lower room numbers are closest to the po...
2  Thank J R
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I will admit that the Bass Rocks in is an expensive stay. However, for a seaside getaway it is perfect. The rooms have sliding glass doors with screens that let in sea breeze at night. All rooms overlook the Atlantic. The hotel, rooms, and grounds are maintained better than my own home. The bathrooms are tiny, but they are kept very clean, and have modern fixtures, including Toto commodes. The only drawback is that there are very few shelves in the bathrooms. The rooms are bright and airy, with modern low profile A/C (extremely quiet). Free breakfast is continental, there is a good selection of quality items that are constanlty restocked, and they are more than happy to let you take breakfast back to your room. Excellent in room coffee. Staff goes the extra mile to make you feel at home. Walk to Good Harbor beach takes 15 min. Walk to downtown takes 45 min. This is a very romantic hotel for a getaway. I would say that this is a better couple's hotel than family motel. That is a wonderful thing. This is a high quality establishment.

2  Thank RCarmichael56003
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We booked at last minute, and were so happy that we were able to get a beautiful room. Liz was wonderful and suggested a great restaurant for that evening. We were not disappointed.
When I opened the door to our room, it was like I died and went to heaven.. the view spectacular, and the balcony white wicker furniture was comfortable to have an outside drink, and coffee and muffin in the morning. We are looking forward to going back and staying for 2 nights.

1  Thank CindyM1331
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge

Been to Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks? Share your experiences!