“Cancelled but Will be Billed Anyway”

Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I booked two nights at this hotel and had to cancel on the day of arrival. I assumed, of course, that I would be billed for the first night, but also that I would not be liable for the second night. The hotel informed me they would charge me for both nights despite more than 24 hours notice, unless they could resell the room, which they felt was unlikely. Be wary of this hotel. Their cancellation policy is out of line with normal fair practice.
Please note, I filled in the ratings for cleanliness, etc., only because I could not get this r this review published without doing so; I didn't stay at the hotel, and so have no actual experience of their cleanliness, rooms and location. But as for value and service, I was very disappointed with my experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BeamanVt
There are newer reviews for Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks

Reviewed 9 July 2009

This hotel is fabulous - the location is great - overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The room was clean and the bedding was great. The main building - "The Wedding House" - offers continental breakfast which was well stocked - great coffee. It also features a billard room and a selection of DVD's that can be checked out. The hotel is very quiet and backs onto a golf course in the rear. You have an ocean in front of you and a golf course behind you - what could be better. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank KaneMamaroneck_NY
Reviewed 8 July 2009

My husband and I just spent four nights over the 4th of July at Bass Rocks. It was our 45th Wedding Anniversary. What a wonderful place. Our suite in the Stacy House was just beautiful and so clean and spotless. The staff was very helpful and they made us feel like we were their only guest. The view of the ocean from our room was just breathtaking. This was the best place we could have picked to celebrate our Anniversary. AWESOME PLACE!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelier_9
Reviewed 24 June 2009

My husband and I spend a recent weekend at the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn. The Inn is directly across the street from the ocean (a rocky coastline) and about 1/2 mile from a great beach. The staff were warm and friendly, they offered us a selection from their DVD library, had homemade chocolate chip cookies, and recommended local restaurants. They have a nice cold breakfast buffet, and the outdoor pool was spotless and warm. All the rooms have sliding glass doors with great ocean views because the parking lot is in the back. Oh, and there is a golf course directly behind the Inn! Although the room was a bit on the small side, I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My wife and I had a few days available to get away. we live about 5o miles from Jersey shore and we wanted to go someplace different. We had traveled through Massachusetts a few times but never stayed at the gloucester area. the trip took us approx 5 hours from NJ but when we got there and drove down Atlantic Ave we knew we found a place to revisit again. We made reservations online, and we were welcomed warmly by the front desk. our room was overlooking the ocean as well as the garden. beautiful room. beautiful views. We had a sea breeze for the 3 days we were there, and let me tell you, the sea breeze of Gloucester Mass, smells cleaner and crisper than the sea breezes of NJ, Delaware, Myrtle beach , Florida, or even the carribean. (other places where we have ventured). The free breakfast every morning was very good. along with cofee, juices and bagels , english muffins , fruit, , etc they always had an array of homemade goods such as coffee cake, blueberry muffins, raisin scones, etc.
We ventured into downtown gloucester and ate at vinny's bar one night. great clam chowder and lobster rol, and my wife had a whole lobster. we also ate lunch at capt carlos and a dinner at gloucester house. we had so much food left over from the gloucester house that we ate those leftovers in our room on the last night. downtown gloucester was undergoing some construction at this time, they were jack-hammering up the sewer manholes..looking like they were replacing them, but we managed to get around. visit the beauport historic house if you go. a historic house under continual upkeep, but it is magnificient. we enjoyed this as much as the mansion tours we did on newport Rhode island a few years ago. Some road signs are confusing when you try to compare it with the maps they give you. but my wife is a good navigator, and I am a good pilot so we muddled through it and found what we wanted to see.. Visit Rockport if you get a chance, for a bit of shopping and more nice views of the harbor area. for those of you who are more into the active scene, you can rent a bike, play golf, rent a kayak, or just walk through the area. a nice place to visit is the statue memorilizing the gloucester fishermen lost at sea and the statue honoring the women who were left behind. you may think you have seen it before, and if you saw the movie A Perfect Storm, that is where you saw it. that movie was shot in gloucester and it was about the gloucester fishermen.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank choy1950
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We stayed here for one night as part of out two week New England trip with our 8 year old son. We needed somewhere in the Gloucester area as we went on the 7 Seas Whale Watch in the afternoon, so chose the Bass Rocks on the basis of Tripadvisor reports which we are usually pretty reliable, but we felt this place has been over-hyped.

In its defence:

Superb location just across a minor road from the sea
The upper floor room was comfortable and well equipped
The continental breakfast had a good selection

The case against:

The price is over-inflated at $199 per night for what is essentially a nice but pretty standard motel room.
The service was OK but an odd mixture of neither friendly nor professional, as if someone was minding the shop.
Not a fan of shared balconies, we value our privacy.
As other reviews have noted, the motel layout means you are subject to noise from cars, other guests on the walkways outside your room (we chose a top floor room to counter this but were still disturbed by late-night returners.

I guess everywhere around Gloucester is pretty pricey, but to us, it just did have that special ingredient which others seem to have found.

A case of the emperor's new clothes?

I could not in all honesty recommend it at this price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank LiztheWhizz
Reviewed 8 May 2009

This is the place to go for a prime ocean front location. As stated in many reviews, the hotel rooms at Oceanfront and Seaside are average hotel rooms...nothing grand, but basically clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are very small, but appear to be fairly new. The views from the rooms are incredible. The housekeeping staff are wonderful, friendly and very helpful. They seem to take pride in their job. The Stacy House is AMAZING. The suites are lovely and on our next visit that's where we hope to stay. Mixing the elegance of these rooms with the location would make all the difference in the world. The suites are large, comfortable and the views are no less than spendid. The public area of the Stacy house cannot be beat ....truly something you have to experience. One could sit there all day and look at the windows at the ocean. Having bikes for use was a great thing.

We are putting Bass Rocks Ocean Inn on our must return list!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KansasSue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge

Been to Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks? Share your experiences!