“A hotel with B&B charm”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
upstate NY
“A hotel with B&B charm”
Reviewed 24 September 2010

The grounds are as beautiful as the view. Our hosts were helpful and gracious. Warm chocolate chip cookies were waiting in the lobby every afternoon. The pool overlooked the ocean. The view from our porch area was stunning. The bedding was very comfortable and the room was very clean. What wasn't to like?

Although the bathroom was small, it would not stop me from staying again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Winter Haven, FL
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Wow, what a great place to get away from everything. It's great for the first day but sometimes you want a little bit of "everything" and you begin to miss it. We arrived later in the evening and I must say it was a little difficult to find, but well worth it! The only issue I had was it was driving distance from "anything" so most meals and entertainment was only a few miles away. We LOVED the bedding, SO confortable, nice screen doors we left open to hear the waves crashing on the rocks all night, ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SLEEP YOU WILL EVER HAVE. It was 58 degrees outside but the conforters were so warm and cozy to cuddle up with your best friend and the waves crashing was something to remember forever. My wife preferred this place over all the other 4* places we stayed on that trip... but I still enjoy a little night life within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Classixm
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed 19 August 2010

The room was pleasant and comfortable. Temperature control was good, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast (included) was as much as one could expect without anything heated but the coffee. The biggest deficit was the fact that there were no dividers separating individual "patios" overlooking the ocean--so totally zero privacy. (In fact, a child walked right into our room through the patio door, thinking it was his room.) But if we return to Gloucester (and probably will), we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My wife and I where traveling on a extended motor trip through the East and I decided we should stop an night in my home town, Gloucester, MA. I wanted to stay on the "Back Shore" which I remember for it wonderful ocean views. We selected the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn for our one night stay. When we arrived we were told that one of their suites in the main house was available and we decided to spend the extra money to help celebrate our 50th wedding anniversity. The room was amazing with windows overlooking the Ocean on two sides. The staff at the hotel could not do enough for us and their fresh baked cookies were a great hit. My profession has been escorting tour groups world wide for over 40 years and I can honestly say I have never stayed any place in the world that had such beautiful views and great service.
Thank you Bass Rocks for providing us with a memorable 24 hours.
Charles and Nancy Hemeon

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Even with some repairs going on, the Bass Rocks was wonderful. No complaints at all.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 June 2010

I would hightly recommend the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn. We just came home from spending three [too short] nights at the INN and I can truly say there isn't one negative thing I can say about our stay. My husband is in a wheelchair and one sister uses a walker and I couldn't tell you where Mario & Mark materialized from but they were right there to help my husband and sister into the room, car, or dinning room. They were such a God send to me and not only so helpful but very pleasant great guys too. The rooms sparkled, the beds very comfy. the scenery breathtaking. the food excellent, Aside from Mark & Mario who I can't say enough about, the housekeeping staff went out of their way to accomodate, the front desk people, all in all I can't praise the place enough and I will let it be known to relatives & friends what a great place to spend a vacation. Thanks again to Mario & Mark you guys are just great.
Norma & Walt Grapkoski
Kathleen Beckett
Marie Manning

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank wegrap
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We been at the Bass Rock three times on the last three years, and we have only good things to say about the place. We stayed at the main house (stacy house) and requested the same room everytime, number 502 is our house in Gloucester, it have a bedroom and a living room with a little kitchen, they even have dishes and silverware, two flat screens tvs and dvds players, they offer free rental movies. If next summer that room is booked for the dates we planning to travel we sure will change our date. The smell of fresh baked cookies in the lobby on the afternoon is just irresistible, and the cookies and tea are complimentary. Even if you do not stay in the Stacy house all the rooms have a great view and me and hubby enjoying going up to the roofing where they have benchs to sit. It's magical to hear the waves during the night, a very romantic feeling. The Bass is our lovely getaway, for some quality time with each other. The breakfast is very good and have everything is necessary to start well your day, coffee,milk, juice, cereal, fruits, baked goods etc...
The service was always very friendly. So as I said before I just love this place. Do not expect a high end hotel, but a lovely charming magical place by the water. They offer bicicles and have a golf field right behind the hotel. Cape Ann area has a lot to do and see, make sure you go for a whale watch trip, some shopping in Rockport, visit the Hammond castle and never leave Gloucester without having a lobster bake. I personally recommend "The Rudder", great food also very nice atmosphere, is by the water and people even arrive by boat. Not a luxury restaurant, but a true New England gem. We will be back this summer and many others to come on our room 502.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CakesQuerida
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
Emerson Inn
Emerson Inn
#4 of 6 in Rockport
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites

Been to Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks? Share your experiences!