“Casual dining, awesome food - and lots of it!”

Causeway Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 144 Restaurants in Gloucester
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 14 July 2012

A very casual, no-frills storefront location - good for after-beach, or family dinners.

My friend had linguini with clams and marinara sauce - an incredible pile of pasta, sauce and yummy, not-at-all-rubbery, fresh clams. It was to die for! I had fish chowder, and the fish and potatoes were actually piled up about 4" above the level of the bowl - and again, yummy :)

I wish we'd found this place before our last day - we would've eaten there again.

Be prepared to wait - we went early and got right in, but I think it's popular with locals, and it's not that big.

2  Thank NiskyKid

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Read the great reviews and they are true! The portion sizes here are unbelievable! Twin lobster meal was excellent and the fried calamari, fish, and shrimp was very good. Staff are quick and very good. Very crowded and noisy but that is part of going to the Causeway for a great meal and a great value!

1  Thank Sheannb
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This has got to be the freshest fish available. The service is great, the food is awesome. Great portions and the price is right.

Very informal and somewhat noisy but that doesn't matter when you are served your meal it is worth the wait the noise and the crowd. It is a BYB restaurant. It is so worth the drive, no matter how far you live from Gloucester, MA.

1  Thank jdip
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Heard great things about Causeway, but had to check it out for ourselves. My fiancee is from the area, grew up in Peabody, but I just love great food and restaurants. From the exterior, looks like nothing and can easily be overlooked, but once inside, it's culinary bliss!!! The portions are everything that the place is famous for. We had a bucket of steamers (my first time!) and then unbelievable entrees. I had the Peter Platter which was a collection of their best seafood. Just absolutely delicious food, comfortable seating, and apparently recently remodeled. Felt like having dinner in someone's kitchen. We'll DEFINITELY be back. Yum!!!

1  Thank Stu_Needel
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I heard many rave reviews about the Causeway and decided to bring some out of town guest to enjoy the local flavor and atmosphere that the Causeway offers. Its very casual and inexpensive, service was terrific and if you like fried food, and large portions, this is the place for you. Overall, great dining in a casual setting, beware of the wait, it can be over an hour during peak dinner hours.

1  Thank RJB1215