“When you eat fried seafood, you should eat the BEST!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 137 Restaurants in Gloucester
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“When you eat fried seafood, you should eat the BEST!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Ate at the bar where you typically don't have to wait and you can look into the kitchen. Ordered Peter's Platter ($20; includes fried haddock, scallops, shrimp, calamari and clams) and split it with my companion. I try not to eat fried food too often; when I do, its got to be good and this was great! Haddock was big chunks; calamari, shrimp and scallops were done to perfection. Fries were great too. OK, so the place is not that fancy (I'd say it is "unpretentious"). If you're going out to enjoy some fried seafood, this is the place.

• Visited November 2013

• Korean first
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“Score: 2 to 1”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

A member of my family came to Boston and we wanted to take her to The Causeway Restaurant. I'd heard about it for years and arrived expecting great things. The general shabbiness didn't bother me too much: after all, it's all about the fresh seafood. Two in our 3-person group loved their lunch: one had the fried clam plate and clam chowder; the second, a bowl of steamers and fried clams; and the third, the steamers and clam chowder. Mixed review: 2 liked the meal and 1 was disappointed (me). I loved the clam chowder, but the steamers were poorly cooked. They were limp as dish rags with no clam flavor whatsoever. The broth had a strangely sweet taste, and I was surprised to see pieces of onion floating in it. Ugh. Huge portions? Yes. Overall value? Mixed opinions!

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank annie279
Vlijmen
“BYOB but....Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had read about this place on Tripadvisor while planning our USA trip, and planned to go there. So we did. Upon arrival, many tables were taken. My wife and I had an excellent meal, accompanied by our own wine(Causeway does not have an alcohol license, so bring your own bottle). I went for the Baked Coconut Rum Haddock with asparagus and fries - easily the biggest piece of haddock I've ever been served, and very tasty as well, nice crust. My wife had the lobster bake with asparagus and baked potato, specialty of the day - superb as well. Good fries too. We could both hardly finish our main meal, so big was it,
Afterwards we heard from several locals that this is the place they go to for great value seafood.
But don't go late - the place started to close up at 20:30, when we were in the last stages of our meal. When they pile up the chairs upside down on the tables around you, you know it is time to go (they could be a bit more considerate).

• Visited October 2013
Houston, Texas
“Local favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

All the locals know about the causeway restaurant. The portions are huge and the quality of the food is great. Very good clam chowder and the Peters platter was very good. Get there early it fills up fast at lunch time. Not a great place for decor but if you're looking for food this is it.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Wonderful Discovery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

While visiting relatives in the area we took a side trip to Gloucester and eventually needed lunch. There are many, many restaurants to choose from. So we chose the Causeway for no particular reason. Score! The restaurant sits along side the road in a shabby building with one end empty and up for rent. The place was parked solid and we parked in the back. Got to the door, and the place was packed. The decor is old lunch room. We were seated almost immediately and within two or three minutes the waiter brought menus and took our drink orders. Within about four minutes huge platters piled high with excellent french fries, succulent whole fried clams, and cole slaw arrived so fresh and hot, it was too hot to eat. The service was excellent, the food was top notch, and the prices not unreasonable. We will make a point of eating here again, for sure!

• Visited October 2013