“Beautiful location”

Cape Ann's Marina Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My husband was in town for a work training and the Daughter and I got to tag along. The hotel is located literally in the Marina which was a surprise but not a bad one. Every room has its own access to the a deck overlooking the River and the drawbridge that leads out to the harbor. It was surprisingly quiet (maybe just the time of year?) and really relaxing in terms of the surrounding area. It's a short drive to the main boulevard and downtown Gloucester and was a quick drive to the location of the Husband's training.

The room itself still needs a little work. The door to the room was tough to close - you could see about a 1/2 inch gap at the top of the door and it really needed to be slammed shut. Not sure if other doors had that issue, but at 4 am on Wednesday morning - hearing doors slam was not a cool thing.

The beds were comfortable and the furniture looked good. Pillows could use upgrade - some were newer, some were pancake flat. The carpet was worn in a path around the beds and you could see how the carpet was supposed to look under the desk and the a/c but it wasn't a huge issue.

The radiator in the bathroom was kind of falling off. I didn't mention it because it wasn't a huge issue but might they might want to double check that.

The pool was an interesting set up. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel and it seemed to be pretty popular. The bar was located within the indoor pool and people were eating dinner and having after work drinks while we were swimming - it was different.

The staff were all very friendly and nice, especially housekeeping.

They were having some work done - not sure exactly where (maybe the restaurant deck?) but they didn't really bother us because we would go out for the day exploring.

I do wish that there had been a guide book in the room so that we could have ideas of what was around. Yes there were brochures in the lobby, but sometimes it's nice to have it in the room so you aren't cluttering your life with brochures. Also, we did not get to take advantage of it but they offer a sunset cruise - a very nice idea because the river that the resort is on really is pretty.

Overall - a decent resort; location great; rooms weren't too bad.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be the same - I would ask for a room on either the 2nd or 3rd floor just for...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2013

First off, the price was good. I didn't feel overcharged for my stay. For that price though, please be warned that external noise is a problem. The sound proofing from floor to floor is not good and with people above, you can hear a lot of noise. Also, the hallways and stairs to all floors are pretty much open, and that adds to the noise problem.

Yes, the place is dated, but clean.

A good breakfast menu, though seating capacity does not accommodate during busy times. Nice to have such a long serving time. I think 7am to 11:30.

Room Tip: Probably best to ask for a room on the top floor, but you'll have to walk up 2 or 3 flights of s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mmmhill
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Booked a 3 night stay at this "resort" for the wife and I. While I wasn't expecting a whole lot, because I had read previous reviews here,, I was not prepared for the construction noise either. The room was clean, even if dated. But the preseason construction noise was just a bit too much! Paving the marina parking lot in the rear, rebuilding the outside bar area in front, thin walls and what sounded like someone moving furnature on the third floor left no place to hide from the noise.
Pre Memorial Day weekend, the onsite restaurant was only open for Breakfast & lunch, no mention was made of that when I booked the room and asked if there was a restaurant on site? I will say we had breakfast there and the food was good.
Also thought they advertised Spa services, when my wife asked, at check in, she was told there were no services available until the following week.

Room Tip: I guess the third floor rooms would be a little quieter? At least no noise from above.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

This place is so dated from the lobby to the stairs to the outdated rooms!
After our event we came back to have a drink in the pool/ bar area. Wow!!! Flashing lights with we believe this is where many locals hang out. We ordered drinks and went outside because of the loud music and decor. Out comes the crowd and the cigarettes start going....We flew put not even finishing our drinks.
Finally at about 7 am the next morning we were woken up to in consider it patrons in the hallways. My husband was so mad he got up and said we are leaving now... It was only 8 am.
I am sure you can find a better place to stay in this charming town. Nice view though...

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I don't get it. Read so many reviews on this hotel that were wonderful but as soon as I drove into the parking lot got a not so good feeling about the place. Pictures shown on reviews are no representative. The exterior is deteriorating and old. The location over the water was really nice and the front desk personnel were exceptionally friendly and warmly accommodating, however as I climbed up a short flight of stairs my gut was saying "god, this needs help". Even though the ground level room numbers are in the 100's so is the 2nd floor! Very confusing. Each room has three exit/entrance doors, one to the front, one to the continuous (as in no privacy) balcony, and one to the adjacent room. On my first night the hotel had a lot of locals hanging out and I assume staying there. Weird noises throughout the night kept me up and checking the doors.

However, the location couldn't be better. Just 5 minutes to center of town and right next to a gas station. The marina surrounding the hotel gives it a real NE feel. The bar, situated on ground level just beyond the front desk, is right next to the pool and close to the Jacuzzi. What people find attractive about this configuration is beyond me. The bartender Gilly was phenomenal so that made up for the environment. I found myself escaping from the bar (which also has food service - try their fresh lobster roll!!) often just to get out of the humidity and heat. The balcony adjoining the bar/pool room is enjoyable as you can view boat activity and get plenty of sea air. The 2nd night (Friday) the bar was filled with local young people.

Had breakfast in their restaurant (Mile Marker One) and found, to my delight, there was only one other table taken. Sat down and waited, and waited! Two servers were on the job and only three people in the place and I finally had to interrupt their conversations in the service room and asked if there was anyone available to wait on me! After profuse apologies I finally got an average breakfast for an average price. Coffee was good though.

All in all it's their friendliness and strategic location that would make me go there solo again. Hope they can update their property in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This place is in serious need of an update in terms of decor and mondernization but then again..maybe that was just part of the charm! It was clean just dated!

Overall we didn't mind the place. It reminded us of beach getaway when we were kids! The view overlooking the water was beautiful, especially in the morning.

The breakfast at the on-site restaurant was delish. The staff was OK..not overly friendly, but not rude either. There is an indoor pool which we didn't use but it appeared to be clean and well-kept.

I don't think I would hurry back but it was OK!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BINK61
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Rooms need a good overhaul. Beds are comfy, fridge in room and TV. Bathroom is small with no ventilation. Could use a remodel. Nice that there is an indoor pool and hot tub. Bar in pool with a DJ on weekends. Fills up fast with a younger crowd. Bartender was great though.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank kampinggal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge
Emerson Inn
Emerson Inn
#4 of 6 in Rockport

Been to Cape Ann's Marina Resort? Share your experiences!