All reviewsmile markerindoor poolwicked tunawatch the boatschowderboats coming and goingbeds were comfortablegreat tastegreat lunchhaddocklobster rolllove this placehotel restaurantshared balconygreat viewchecking outnew england
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Ok, the room was not much to write home about, small and dated but the housekeeping was excellent. There was construction going on and it got a little nosiy during the day but they're trying to improve your stay. The Mile Marker One restaurant was awesome. The food and portions were great and the staff, very friendly. Small inside dining area but there is more room outside when the weather cooperates. There is also a covered fresh air bar where they have live music a few nights a week, just remember to wear bug spray after dark and you'll enjoy. The have a huge pool area with a bar. The kids enjoyed the heated pool a lot. The best part for me was meeting some of the Captains of my fav tv show, WICKED TUNA. Met Dave from Tuna.com, Paulie H, Bill from the Bouny Hunter and Tyler from the Pinwheel. They were all so gracious, willing to talk, hang out, take pics....it was the best part of the trip so if you're a tunahead like myself, you definately want to come over and check the place out. You may get lucky like I did and get your pic taken with one of the Captains.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jackohearts3
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We just came back from a 2 night stay here. Our room was #110. The room was a very basic room - bed, tv, chairs, small bathroom. This is definitely the end of the hotel that you want to be on - it's the furthest from the bar and the band. It was very quiet in the room, even with the live band in the bar. I'm sure the air conditioner helped drown out a lot of the noise. Yes, the hotel is in a working marina on the river, not the bay. I knew this when I booked and was perfectly fine with it. A view of a river, boats and birds beats a view of a parking lot or brick wall (or cubicle) any day.

Since it was raining, we hung out at the bar the first night. John, the bartender, and Christian, Shucker in training (only his 2nd day doing it), were awesome. Still amazed at how young Christian actually is. I can't say enough good things about these two. This hotel would be crazy to let them ever leave. We had such a good time talking to them that we came back to the bar the second night. The band was fun - reggae/ska. The only food we had were the chicken tenders. They came with a curry sauce, which was very good.

One thing to note, we came down Essex Drive from 128 and the first sign to the driveway is small. We drove up to the first building and were concerned from the appearance of it. Walking around the corner, we saw the hotel was further down the driveway, thankfully.

If you're looking for The Four Seasons, this is not the place. If you want a simple, comfortable place to stay, check out this hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end away from the bar would be a quieter choice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Excellent and quiet king room on second floor. Great breakfast right at the hotels restaurant.
A little better signage would be apreaciated. Lots of stuff for kids to see, boats coming and going.
Lots of local flavor. Very clean and staff was very helpful. Balcony off the room was great for watching boats.

Room Tip: Middle of the second floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed in mid-may. Totally enjoyed the time spent watchin the boats move around and cruise thru the draw bridge. Staff was excellent. Front desk lady been there 13 yrs. Dockhand maintenance guy kevin been there off x on 23 yrs.Speaks for itself. Both were helpful x patient with me. Understand that some reviewers can have a bad experience, but come on. Yes the rooms arent the biggest. But overall you get a priceless experience. Walking on the docks x checking out the different boats. Including (Tuna).com. Talked with crew at 4:30am leavin on charter to Jefferies Ledge. No tuna till june 1st they said. Since i was born in Gloucester x spent the earlier part of my life growing up here it was a very special x memorable experience. You can pay more for alot less at the places by the ocean, then you get a room in the back lookin at the parking lot. Small store out front. Close to lots of attractions and awesome seafood restaurants
Enjoy!! Expect some areas of slow traffic June thru Aug

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank SCLOUGH01
Reviewed 27 June 2013

First off the pictures on the internet remind me of someone whose sent in photo shopped shopped pictures to a dating web site. The premise basically sits in a commercial marina. The supposed views in the pictures are so closely cropped that you are deceived by the view they supposed show.

We had issues with the rooms and cooling etc. in the room. There was no elevator and the stairs are steep and narrow, which makes it difficult to get luggage to the rooms.

We went out for dinner and upon returning could not find a parking space. There was a school graduation being held o the premise along with live music in the lounge area. When we found a "staff member" in the parking lot he did not seem to be phased by our parking issue. he did manage to find someone in management who was going to allow to park in the loading zone overnight, but on our way to park there someone who needed to unload had take the space.

I drove around and finally found a spot, well out from where the quests of the hotel were supposed to park. As my wife and I were walking to the hotel we over heard the "staff member" say to the manager, "I bet these old folks wished they'd stayed somewhere else".

In addition we had no usable reception to the Wi-Fi. I went to the lobby to use the supposed complimentary computer station to make our advance check in at Logan International. That however, could not happen as the computer station had been removed sometime back.

Lastly, the room was not well maintained. The grout lines in the bathroom, were well stained black from mildew. All in all a bad choice for us.

Room Tip: Don't Bother
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple