“Dirty, loud, unfriendly management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granville
Prospect Mountain Campground
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This place is the worst. Dog feces everwhere, better watch where you step...I got it on me. Did not feel comfortable with our young children running around because of the fecal matter in the fields etc...

The people that run it, not sure if they own it, are very rude, and have a poor attitude. They really need to learn about customer service. It's almost as if they do not have enough employees to keep up with the customers needs.

We definitely would not return again, but it was worth a shot. Lot of things are run down and overall has an outdated feel. It is in a good area, far off the beaten path, great for hiking or sightseeing the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank CamperRon
Prospect_Mtn, Manager at Prospect Mountain Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Hi Ron,

I'm sorry to hear you had problems with dog waste during your stay. We do clean-ups throughout the day for both trash and droppings, since we know that unfortunately some owners 'forget' to pick up after their pets. I apologize that you had the misfortune of finding that particular 'present' before we did.

I also apologize if any employees came off as being rude as that is certainly not what we expect of any of our staff. We try our best to make sure each customer is treated with courtesy, respect, and a smile! We're sorry if one of our crew even momentarily forgot that.

If you'd like to get in touch with me personally by email or some other method I'd be happy to discuss more with you and see if there's anything we can do to make it up to you. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you!

-Greg, Manager, Prospect Mountain Campground

Reviewed 12 June 2013

It's a long 2-1/2 hours from the Boston area, but worth the trip.

Prospect Mountain has a variety of accommodations, from camping sites to full cabins with appliances, showers and bathrooms. My son, knowing my addiction to morning showers, took a 2-room cabin. The one big common room had a queen sized mattress; the other, 4 bunk beds.

All was comfortable, parking convenient outside cabin. Huge frig, great gas stove, hot water for shower. Only points off - no sink except for the kitchen one - could have been one in the bathroom-shower area, but wasn't. Plenty of dishes, utensils.

Office has reasonably priced items you may forget, ice cream - even $3 hamburgers (not tested). People running office could not be nicer.

Lots of little activities to keep the kids busy; pool seemed to be getting lots of action, as did a small miniature golf course.

Definitely a return visit.

Room Tip: If you are not an enthusiastic tent person - especially if a woman's of that perspective - get a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Prospect_Mtn, Manager at Prospect Mountain Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Hi Mel,

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Sorry about the missing sink in the bathroom. We have actually been looking at finding a way to squeeze one in there so hopefully on your next visit you'll have that too! We really appreciate all your kind words and your recommedation and we look forward to seeing you again in the future! Thank you and take care!

-Greg

Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a 2 room cabin (cabin 5) with husband & dog for 4 days. There were many activities within the campground to keep us busy. From arcades, miniature golf to campground led activities like wheelbarrow race. Greg and his staff were great with questions regarding hikes close to the facility. All campers & seasonals were courteous,friendly & adhered to quiet time rules. As far as the cabin had lovely kitchenette and breakfast nook. Also had working restroom & fan ventilation. Outside had a picnic table, fire ring & bbq grill. We could hear the crickets from the nearby lake while we drank a hot cocoa by the fire. Would definitely recommend for families because of the amount of activities to keep kids busy. Would recommend to hikers because of Granville State Forest & the gorge nearby. Just a few gems nearby for hiking which are also dog friendly. This could also be used as the last leg or beginning to discovering the Berkshires.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank cy0079
Prospect_Mtn, Manager at Prospect Mountain Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Hi CY0079!

Thank you so much for your wonderful recommendation of our campground! I'm very happy to hear you had such a good time while staying in the cabin. We'd love to have you back any time you want to visit the area. Thank you once more for your feedback and compliments and we look forward to seeing you again! Have a great day!

-Greg, PMC

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed at Prospect Mountain Campground with myself, my husband, our two children, two adult friends, and their 1 year old. Our site was great, it was large and while on the main road did not feel like it because the trees surrounding the site and made it quite private.

The site was made more for a camper then a tent like we used. It was very rocky and uneven. The fire pit was a nice size although it was a tight squeeze because it was closer to the trees so people couldn't sit all around it.

The campground staff was very friendly and there were lots of activities. The store has a ton of things and they are actually reasonably priced when they don't have to be.

Unfortunately it decided to rain throughout the duration of our stay. It was not good so we left early and had to pay for the site and $10 for the extra people. I was told I'd get a refund on the extra people but they never added it to my card.

There was lots of noise at night. Someone was blaring a horn of some sort, possibly to scare away a bear but not something really wanted at 11-12 at night.

Overall, we might go back. We didn't get to explore or do much of anything while there, but it is GREAT for families.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank notjstanothrmom
Prospect_Mtn, Manager at Prospect Mountain Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Hi notjstanothrmom,
Thank you for all the feedback. It's very important to us to make sure our campers are happy with their stay. I'm pleased you enjoyed the size and privacy of your campsite and that overall you thought it was great. Please keep in mind too that we're more than happy to accommodate requests for specific sites or site changes whenever possible if there is something not to your liking, as each of our campsites has its own unique feel and we know everyone has a different favorite site. Though our cancellation policy doesn't allow for rain-related cancellations, I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and if you would like to give us a call or email I'd definitely be happy to investigate that $10 charge so that I can make sure that refundable fee didn't accidentally get overlooked. I also apologize for the noise you experienced at night. I do remember one night over the summer where a camper was honking their horn with a bit too much enthusiasm to scare off an animal by the dumpster, but I can certainly assure you it is not an everyday occurrence. We do several rounds at night to enforce quiet time and we are happy to address any noise issues brought to our attention, so please don't hesitate to let us know of problems no matter how late it is. I'm glad you had a good time with our activities, and we would love to have you stay with us again this summer to have even more fun so please keep us in mind when you're thinking about your next camping trip! Thank you again for the feedback and have a great day!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great staff that are friendly and knowledgeable. Lots to do for kids but if your not camping with kids it is also not over run by them. Kid free adult swim times, every game imaginable, and most unbelievable... Friendly Seasonal campers. Never have I been camping where even the seasonal's are friendly. Unbelievable natural setting. Other than the floors that get Sandy as soon as someone walks in the bathroom's are clean. The bath houses have water as hot as you want. The porta potties that are in several locations are emptied regularly, always stocked and auto light when you enter. The grounds are quiet after 11:00PM. This is a family campground with a good old fashioned feeling. Not a Resort party spot. It has all the newer amenities but non of the over priced crowded hype. It is huge and beautiful. I plan to go back many times to come and this was my first time at Prospect Mountian Campground. We camped as 2 adults in a tent.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Wistira

Hi Wistira,
Thank you so much for all your kind words about our campground. We do our best to keep our facilities clean and well-maintained and our campers happy and having fun. And we do have some truly awesome seasonal campers which it sounds like you must have met. Thank you again and have an amazing winter, before coming back to visit us this summer of course!

Reviewed 18 July 2012

I reserved a 'Group Site' at Prospect Mtn this summer. It was sites T-1 through T-5. The folks at Prospect Mtn referred to it as a tenting 'Field'. It looked pretty private & exclusive on the map via their website. I was planning a trip for about 15 to 20 of us - all adults. When I arrived I was at first taken aback by the size of the space. i really couldn't believe they called it a 'Field'. It was about the size of an average back yard. Not a big deal, but I was glad that not all the the 15 to 20 people I had planned on coming actually came. And directly in front of it was a road that people walked/drove down regularly - not private at all. BUT - this is worst part - the ENTIRE 'Field' was COVERED in dog feces. EVERYWHERE. Around the picnic tables, the fire ring, in all the places where our tents would go - dog poop, simply scattered about the entire camp site. From fresh to 7 days old - our camp site(s) were pooped all over. It smelled horrible. Myself and a friend spent about half an hour going around picking up what we could. We had to sprinkle baby powder in places where we couldn't get all the poop off the grass. It was extremely unpleasant. When I mentioned it the staff they apologized and said there probably wasn't enough time to get over to the site and clean it after the last people left. I noted that there was definitely a lot of poop there that was at least a week old. They didn't offer any kind of refund - and it cost $300 to use this group site for 2 nights. Furthermore - they were very understaffed and unable to deliver us the bucket of wood we ordered until the following morning.
Other than these things the campground itself seemed pretty fun for your average lower to middle class families with children. Anyone looking to have a real authentic camping experience should definitely go elsewhere. Nowhere to swim but in a pool always filled with about 50+ children - with the exception of 2 hour long adult swim times carved out of the beginning and ends of each day. Overall not so great experience - won't go there again. Sorry.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tracy L

Hi Tracy L,
Thank you for the feedback from your stay with us over the summer. We strive to make every stay a great one and want to make sure we correct any issues we can. Please allow me to apologize again for the state of your campsite upon your arrival. If ever there is an issue with a campsite we urge our campers to please let us know right away and we will be happy to take care of it before you have to. We are also happy to relocate campers if necessary, so it is very important to let us know if there are issues immediately upon arriving. While we do our best to provide a clean site for all of our campers, sometimes those people checking out late without notice can leave the site in a less than respectable condition with no time before the next campers check in and it may unfortunately slip past us. We are indeed very sorry and quite embarrassed that this happened to you. I would also like to apologize for the delay in the delivery of firewood to your campsite during Friday night check-ins. We usually require those requests for larger quantities of wood be made beforehand as on weekends we typically only sell pre-bundled wood, but we do try to fill requests whenever possible and as soon as possible and I hope that this didn't cause too much trouble. Again, we are very sorry for the inconveniences and would love if you would do us the honor of allowing us to make it up to you. Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 24 May 2012

A very nice family friendly campground. We had the tent sites next to the little pond. It gave a great view of the stars at night, and nice to sit next to in the morning. The bullfrogs and animals were a little loud at night, but hey, that's nature. We were in the area for an event on Sunday and we really appreciated them accommodating us with an 8pm checkout so we didn't have to pack up everything in the morning. We could just go attend the event, and come back afterwards, shower, and then take off. I don't have kids, but there was plenty to do for all them and they all seemed entertained.

Room Tip: Tent sites 13 - 16 are by the pond.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank rgb2cmyk

Hi rgb2cmyk,
Thank you for your kind review of our campground. It's always good to know what our campers enjoy about our park. On behalf of those frogs I do apologize though – they can be quite noisy at times, but sadly they never listen to us when we remind them that it's quiet time! I hope the ride was good last summer and let's hope the weather's nice for another good one this year! Thank you again and have a great day!

Been to Prospect Mountain Campground? Share your experiences!