“Very Nice Meal”

20 Railroad Public House
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Seasonally inspired pub fare. Using Local, Regional, responsible and Sustainable products. Craft Beers and Cocktails.
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I was looking for a place to have dinner in Great Barrington the Monday before Christmas and it was getting a little bit late to think I would find something. The smell of burgers was wafting from 20 Railroad Street and I knew where I would have my supper. I had a wonderful IPA and ordered the burger special, a blue cheese burger. It was delicious but definitely a knife-and-fork burger or a 20-napkin burger! This is a good thing! I was satisfied and would certainly return.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Revisiting Great Barrington after several years and so onto 20 Railroad Street...of course...where else would you go? I remember when Happ (first name Gary?) owned (And I believe opened) the place about 30 years ago. My wife, Barbara, and I differed in our perception of the Berkshires where we lived for so many years. She was struck by changes since we were there and I was struck by how much stayed the same. Certainly, the heart of 20 Railroad seemed unchanged. The cozy somewhat rickety tables are still there. Prices remain pretty reasonable.The old bar is in place. The bathrooms are as they were (still clean though). The service is competent and the typical bar food as always is just better than the average pub. I recommend the burgers which are insanely generous, but the usual pub variety abounds here. The place can get busy...always did. For me, its tough to beat this combination of nostalgia, good food, fine bar and tables that can be cured of wobbliness by a match box placed strategically under one of the legs.

1  Thank TommyBoy94
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed in Great Barrington one night on a semi-business trip over the Labor Day weekend. The front desk attendant advised 20 Railroad as a spot for dinner. I generally prefer a quiet cozy restaurant when I dine out, which this was not. Despite my misgivings we sat down and ordered 2 salmon salads and two beers. While waiting we observed the line to the restaurant grow longer and the crowd inside more lively. 20 Railroad was apparently the place where the locals go on a Friday night. When our food arrived we understood why. The salmon salad dish was the largest salad that I have ever encountered in a restaurant. The salmon was a larger portion than most restaurants serve as an entree and the salad included blueberries as well as the normal salad fixings. While we were thoroughly enjoying our meal we could not help but notice the waitstaff's efficiency and thoroughness in seating, serving and clean-up of other tables. Other establishments could take a lesson here. On our walk back to the motel my wife and I agreed that 20 Railroad had been one of our best evenings eating out. The next time that I have to travel close to G. B. I will be sure to 20 Railroad.

1  Thank Richard G
Reviewed 6 September 2013

20 Railroad is a go to place when you want pub food done right. They have excellent burgers, great fries and tasty soups which can be expected, but their fish dishes like their fish tacos, and salads topped with huge salmon filets cooked to your liking put them a cut above most other bar/restaurants.

Portions are large and prices fair.

It's a great place to bring friends, because they have a varied menu and you can count on everything being fresh and tasty.

They have a good beer selection at very fair prices and always suppy a taste if you are trying something new.

We've always found the service to be friendly and efficient, although we usually go when it's not jammed.

2  Thank C from NY
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We were looking for a quick meal between shows and found this place down an alley off Railroad St. This is a comfortable pub with dark wood trim and a large bar. The menu was varied and the prices were moderate. We both had burgers and they were delicious and a special treat was their sweet potato fries. Service was quick and friendly. We'd certainly go back even when we had more time. We thought we had come across a real find!